Author Topic: An Interesting Read...  (Read 519 times)

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • Truth and Knowledge Seeker
An Interesting Read...
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Greetings Everyone Here

I finished an interesting book called "If the Universe is Teeming with Aliens....Where is Everybody?" by Stephen Webb

Perhaps some of the members here have read it and if not you may wish to do so.

The author deals with the Fermi Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox), and presents many theories that try to solve it. Wikipedia of course presents a nice concise snapshot of the Fermi Complex.

It was an interesting read, and of course it is open to much debate as Amazons readers comments will show concerning this book and I am sure will render many interesting views here as well.

I am not asking what is truth, even though I seek it, I will know when truth is in front of me, when it is internally consistent, coherent with knowledge, congruent with like experience, useful for helping me organize my thinking, this is all I can ask in seeking the truth.

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Re: An Interesting Read...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »
If you had reached a level of advancement that you could travel the interstellar distances and you arrived at Earth would you bother talking to the dominant moron species of this planet ? A fractured populace of different languages that in majority still believe in magic sky fairies and kill each other over what each of their own sky fairies apparently said to some bloke on a mountain top or in a cave? Maybe you'd give them a shove in the right direction indirectly perhaps other wise direct contact would have the idiots worshiping you.

You'd mark in on the galactic map as System Sol 3rd Planet Earth: "Quarantined: Do Not Visit" and make sure you keeps tabs on it in case the vicious horrible creatures invent interstellar travel and then nuke the site from orbit just to be sure.

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
If you observed how fu*ked up this planet is you would stay away also.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
The "Great Silence" has been discussed here before; I agree it's an interesting topic.

Personally, I believe the best answer to Fermi's question is probably something like this: intelligent life is rare to begin with, and species willing to expend resources to travel or even communicate over interstellar distances rarer still. So there just aren't that many explorers / would-be empire builders whizzing around out there. Even if something like the Alcubierre warp drive (http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,24931.0.html) is possible, the universe is just so damn big that the "nearest" interstellar civilization is probably a looooooooooooooooooooong way off.

Add that we haven't been asking the question and really looking for more than a few decades, and maybe it isn't as much of a paradox as we think it is...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:03:58 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius