Author Topic: More religious killing, this time Nigeria.  (Read 466 times)

Offline shnozzola

More religious killing, this time Nigeria.
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
BAGA, Nigeria (AP) — Fighting between Nigeria's military and Islamic extremists killed at least 185 people in a fishing community in the nation's far northeast, officials said Sunday, an attack that saw insurgents fire rocket-propelled grenades and soldiers spray machine-gun fire into neighborhoods filled with civilians.

Boko Haram, which means "Western education is sacrilege."

The Islamic insurgency in Nigeria grew out of a 2009 riot led by Boko Haram members in Maiduguri that ended in a military and police crackdown that killed some 700 people. The group's leader died in police custody in an apparent execution. From 2010 on, Islamic extremists have engaged in hit-and-run shootings and suicide bombings, attacks that have killed at least 1,548 people before Friday's attack, according to an AP count.

In January 2012, Boko Haram launched a coordinated attack in Kano, northern Nigeria's largest city, that killed at least 185 people as well. However, casualty numbers remain murky in Nigeria, where security and government officials often downplay figures.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130421/AF--Nigeria-Violence/
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: More religious killing, this time Nigeria.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
Religion will be the death of us all.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
I find it odd that mankind likely first evolved out of Africa, and yet Africa remains one of the least evolved continents on the planet.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
I find it odd that mankind likely first evolved out of Africa, and yet Africa remains one of the least evolved continents on the planet.

I'd be pretty careful about expressing that opinion. Easily mis-construed.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
   I don't know if I agree with that, Backspace.  I spent 2 years in Southern Africa in one of the poorest countries in the world, Lesotho.  As the only white skinned person for maybe 40 miles in any direction (till the next US Peace Corps volunteer), I was treated with respect by a people that had lived through some tough times with apartheid white rule, and they still spent alot of time singing and dancing.

With the singing and dancing, and the history of the local elders meeting to solve problems, and the chiefs dividing and giving out land, is western capitalism and wealth necessarily evolved that much better?
Health care would be perhaps the best argument for  African countries being behind, but there is a wisdom in the way Africans live - to say "least evolved" may be too generalized. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:35:45 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
Could have something to do with the centuries of rape and pillage of Africa by the more evolved and "civilized" people of other continents... But I could be wrong. First universities were where?