Author Topic: What is it about Atheists?  (Read 674 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
What is it about Atheists?
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »
I have returned from overseas and finally ventured out to an Atheists meeting. I thought I would meet people who had similar ideas to mine. What I found was that for the 6-person group I was assigned to, that each person had their own substitution for the religion they forsook.  I was asked what I think of the place of homo sapiens and replied that we are animals with high brain functions, period. I said we were nothing before conception and nothing after death. Wow! Did I get contrary views - from history being passed down when our ancestors did not have any language to do that, to trees that told stories. It got so bad I left in mid-meeting. It was as though each person had their concentric view that each of us was special and very much important. There was much nodding and agreement except for me. As I wrote, each person had adopted a life-view that was a direct substitute for the cast-off religion from years ago.

Maybe there was something in the three other groups for me to discuss, but there certainly was not anything worthwhile for me in the group I was in.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is it about Atheists?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »
Where do they have these "Atheist meetings" where they split off into groups and discuss Atheist things?

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
Your post makes me laugh.  Sadly, people are so predictable.  There is a secular something group that meets here in PA, I was thinking about it, but now....  Anyway, long live the Ents and their ha haroomm stories! :)

edit - what would have been the best possible topic that you could have asked for?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:46:45 AM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Razel

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
Perhaps expecting all atheists to share similar beliefs is like expecting all theists to do the same.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
I'm with The Gawd on this one - what is it you got involved in?

There's a couple of active atheist Meet-Up groups that I'm aware of in my area, but they're very "do stuff" oriented. Sometimes it's an activist kind of thing, but mostly it's just social gatherings, like exhibits, movies, and of course, meeting at a bar for drinks and such. In fact, I believe the "Drinking Skeptically" Meet Up has chapters across the country? What you describe sounds like... a support group, like AA.

Tell me more please, I'm really curious about this now.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »
Interesting.  But you know they are all full of it.  The way I see things is the 'true' way to see things...I don't know why others can't see that? ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »
That is a really bizarre event you've described! Unfortunately, it's not unbelievable.

Keep looking!
Denis Loubet

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
This reaffirms the argument I make that 'atheism' is a lot broader than people tend to think. It is merely the lack of belief in any deities and that there's a whole spectrum of people out there who are atheists, whether they choose to use the label or not. Instead people tend to view the Dawkins/Hitchens like stereotype, whether it be in a positive, "we're rational thinkers, the scientifically minded and those don't fool for woo" way or the derogative, "you're a bunch of intolerant tools who want to pick on religion". Heck, it would seem strange to some that atheists could be religious, but think, how many Buddhists (and I don't just mean philsophical Buddhists like me, I mean those who listen to the woo) are actually atheists? It's big contrast, but Buddhism is a religion that requires no deities and there are those who do not believe in any, which would make them by defintion, atheists, but I don't imagine them picking up 'The God Delusion'.

Though, I am sure it would be great to group up with like minded folk, I consider myself lucky in this respect as many friends are like minded, at least, like minded enough to have an intelligent conversation where we're not face-palming each other. :) I guess, one can only persevere, who knows what kind of people you do end up meeting.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
This was in Minneapolis. I am hesitant to go to any meetings in the future even though my mail box is suddenly overflowing with information about future meetings.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
Atheist just means: non-belief in god/s, nothing else. Doesn't mean they are all into science, and Evolution, and a bevy of other things. It just means: non-belief in god/s.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »
Well, as a schizoid I'm not keen at all on meetings and groups and to quote Groucho, I don't care to belong to any group that would have me as a member, face to face, that is.  This group is as close as I care to come and I get to wear a mask here.

I was once religious but I have not filled that fantasy belief system with anything else but science which can admit it is not infallible and doesn't claim to have all the answers.

I have the honor of working with a man who is also my supervisor who is a sincerely devout Christian.  He respects my choice to be an atheist and does not try and change my point of view.  I don't actively to change him either since he is happy in his beliefs and they bring him comfort, but I think I've broadened his thinking since we've worked together.  We have some interesting, but unheated discussions.  He tells me that I'm the most Christian nonbeliever he has ever known, not because of any remnant religiosity I might retain, but that I have a set of morals and a moral compass that he previously did not think was possible without a belief in a deity.

There is a meeting of Freethinkers in my area, but I think I'll pass.  I think that at least one of them posts here because he mentioned this place in an online comment connected to an editorial he wrote for the local paper.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
Atheistism shouldn't be a substitution for religion, it should be the rejection of religion.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »
This was in Minneapolis. I am hesitant to go to any meetings in the future even though my mail box is suddenly overflowing with information about future meetings.

Well, wtf? I live just outside Minneapolis. Now I'm really curious about who the heck you hooked up with..... and a little reluctant to get involved with anything new around here if that's an example of what's going on. Eek.

I can steer you toward some generally good drinking with some generally smart people if you're interested.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Personally, I'm more of a lower-case atheist.  Upper case Atheists I don't get along with much.  ;)
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Hierophant

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 05:02:28 AM »
I get along fine with atheists and Atheists, it's the Åtheists I can't stand.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »
"Do you believe in gods?"
"Nah, you?"
"No, me neither."

Meeting done.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 07:39:14 AM »
Perhaps atheism is becoming the new thing?  I bet there are "homosexuals" who are faking it just to be in the rainbow crowd!  I was once accused of being gay at a party by a female friend of my spouse.  I took that seriously and put on my best feminine attitude, strutted around the party complimenting the host, and the decor, as well as others choice in attire.  I loved it...

Think about it, atheists are hated in a lot of ways...a perfect way to stand out is to call yourself atheist, even if you dont know what it means!