Author Topic: Why did Jesus have to be born?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Why did Jesus have to be born?
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
"Jesus had to be born and live life as a human so he could suffer and die." - and echoing from my childhood is this:  Wait just a minute, that's not an answer!

Asking questions about stuff  like this that used to get me in such hot water with the priest of the church from my youth. I would say things like "thank you, but I still don't understand. That doesn't really answer my question..." and go forward from there, wondering why they weren't answering what I was actually asking, but too well-mannered to ask any one question more than a few times, despite my sincere desire to understand what the hell they were talking about. It made no coherent sense and I could see that long before I had the language to explain why.

Once again, the fact of my atheism should have been apparent long before it actually was.

You put "Jesus had to be born...." in quotes?
Who was the quote from?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
The post directly above the one you are referencing.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »
I know of the argument that Jesus had to live as a human so that he could show that living without sin was possible... however, the fact that in the myth he did not have two human parents automatically makes his experience different. the argument falls flat on its face.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
Yeah, was Jesus a human being with all the human problems and attributes: acne, indigestion, toothache, splinters from the carpentry, blisters from the ill-fitting sandals, his mom nagging him about his bum friends, his friends bugging him about his lack of a girlfriend? A regular guy, just with some bit of god inside, like Intel in a pc?

Or was he above all that nonsense, totally in touch with heaven, equipped to perform miracles at all times, with knowledge way beyond any human being? An alien in a human shaped body, like a pod person?

This is not just a "dumb internet atheist question". People spent a few centuries battling each other to the death over the nature of Christ. Different sects emerged and people got banished or killed for being heretics if they answered the wrong way. It really is at the core of the religion-- and why so many Christians think other sects "aren't really Christian".

It seems like Christians bounce Jesus around from one to the other, depending on what point they are trying to make. Clearly, the bible has not been able to provide one unified, coherent story about Jesus....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.