Author Topic: NZ MP makes hilarious pro-gay marriage speech  (Read 744 times)

Offline megsy

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
NZ MP makes hilarious pro-gay marriage speech
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:38 PM »
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/04/18/09/26/nz-mp-makes-hilarious-pro-gay-marriage-speech

Hi All,

Just had to share this. With quotes like this;
"I also had a Catholic priest tell me I was supporting an unnatural act, I found that quite interesting coming from someone who has taken an oath of celibacy for his whole life. I haven't done it so I don't know what it's about."

and this;
"We are not declaring nuclear war on a foreign state; we are not bringing a virus in that could wipe out our agriculture sector forever."

I  thought it was pretty good.

megs

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
Re: NZ MP makes hilarious pro-gay marriage speech
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:56:03 AM »
I like the mental image of a huge cloud blocking off the electorate... of course it'd be a rainbow coloured cloud...  ;D Teh gays may be evil, but at least they're colourful and stylish!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
I like it. I like it so much I'm going to start saying it, whenever someone says something stupid about why gay people should be discriminated against. I might even print it on a t-shirt.

thanks!
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
The speech was good.  But did you see the parliament break out into song????

Yesterday, here in the US, our legislature had a very different kind of a day. 

First, Senate caved in and decided to honor NRA lobbying efforts over the demands of their constituents.  I've never seen Obama as pissed off as he was responding to the vote.

And then, in a act that received practically no publicity, the Senate formally introduced immigration reform legislation.  If enacted as written, this legislation would provide a certain set of undocumented immigrants with conditional residency for a 10 year period, after which they can pay a $2000 fine and apply for permanent residency,[1] (green card) and then three years and many hundreds of dollars later, can apply for citizenship. 

But here comes the fun part.

They can only apply for a green card in 10 years IF the US government has successfully constructed a fence across the entire Mexican border. 

You can't make this stuff up.

Overall, I've gotta say I'm much more impressed with New Zealand's legislative body than my own nation's. 
 1. but those who have been paying social security taxes for years or decades will not get any credit towards the literally billions of dollars of payments that undocumented individuals have paid into the system over the past couple of decades

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »
Amusing. (the NZ accent, I mean)

And as you can see, the NZ accent is very different to the Australian accent:

http://youzeek.com/?sid=zs_rXxi0zhM&lng=EN#xPAGE_Artist_%3Flng%3DEN%26Artist%3DFlight%20of%20the%20Conchords%26page%3DGeneral
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:45:30 PM by magicmiles »
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
Being an Aussie and having holidayed in NZ I've gotta disagree with you regarding accents - they are so similar that it's not until one or the other says a particular word that will set us apart. Mostly it's the way the New Zealanders say the letter 'I', it sounds more like a 'U', so "fish and chips" become "fush and chups".

New Zealand has invited same-sex Aussies to come and get married. Unfortunately it won't be recognised in Australia.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »
I was just joking about the different accents - they are distinguishable, but pretty close.

Of course, as Australians we love to highlight the accent as a piss-take. EG, the beached whale videos ;D
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:13:28 AM »
This one had me laughing so much I was crying...

But wait?! Is this the start of that 'slippery slope'[1]that opponents to same sex marriage are always going on about? Allow same sex marriage and suddenly a crab will be able to legally marry his claw. Oh the humanity!
 1. Slippery slopes are FUN especially in summer

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
You should hear white trash and trailer trash in the US speak. Similar but totally different. ;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey