Author Topic: "Scary little girl in hotel corridor" indeed!  (Read 872 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
"Scary little girl in hotel corridor" indeed!
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
Watch people's reactions:

I'm sure I would have at least squeaked. I sincerely hope I wouldn't be startled enough to scream, but I can't rule it out!
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
Re: "Scary little girl in hotel corridor" indeed!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »
I probably would have jumped, but when you get right down to it, it wasn't all that scary (unless you're the kind who lets your imagination get away with you).

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:12:03 AM »
I almost added to my original post: Sometimes a vivid imagination is a good thing. This might not have been one of them.

I love good horror. I'm picky about it, but I truly enjoy a certain kind of "scary" - often the kind that give me nightmares. The creepy little girl normally ain't in that list, but I can't say she wouldn't have startled a girly little shrieky noise out of me. I'd have been embarrassed as hell about it too.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:32 AM »
How legitimatly scary a thing like this can become in just 2 seconds ... that last woman ... she was ready to attack the little girl. Even with the TV show's staff just 5 feet away, she very well might have succeeded in hurting her. I'd never let my kids take part in a stunt like this.

oh and yes, I'd have jumped too.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +433/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:32:36 AM »
I found the last woman's reaction rather disturbing.  She tried to attack a small child for having a resemblance to a scary movie character.  Hello?  The Ring was not a documentary.  If the sanity waterline is that low, no wonder religion persists.  :o
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:48:18 AM »
How legitimatly scary a thing like this can become in just 2 seconds ... that last woman ... she was ready to attack the little girl.....

And the little girl got pretty scared by the woman's reaction.  Not good.

I'm positive I would have jumped, and probably yelled.  After all, you DON'T expect to round a corner and see something that you associate with extreme fear.  You're trolling along, thinking happy thoughts of bed, then suddenly......EVIL!!!!  Yeah, I'd definitely jump.

What I liked was the chambermaid, who hardly reacted at all.  Guess that a little girl embodiment of evil standing in a corridor comes pretty low down the "shock-scale" for things that hotel staff see.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »
Back in the 60s, it was about midnight and I was riding my motorbike home down a winding, moonlit country road with a high hedge to one side and a forest to the other when it started to misfire. I knew what was wrong, so I stopped to fix it. I fiddled with the spark-plug lead and then stood up to try it. Standing next to me in silence was an old woman with a bent back and chalk-white face. I screamed and ran. After a moment, I stopped and looked back. She was still there and said, “Sorry to have made you jump. Is it broken?”

She turned out to live in a house about ¼ mile back and was returning from visiting a friend in the next village. The chalk-white face was just the over application of makeup.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »
How legitimatly scary a thing like this can become in just 2 seconds ... that last woman ... she was ready to attack the little girl.....

And the little girl got pretty scared by the woman's reaction.  Not good.

I'm positive I would have jumped, and probably yelled.  After all, you DON'T expect to round a corner and see something that you associate with extreme fear.  You're trolling along, thinking happy thoughts of bed, then suddenly......EVIL!!!!  Yeah, I'd definitely jump.

What I liked was the chambermaid, who hardly reacted at all.  Guess that a little girl embodiment of evil standing in a corridor comes pretty low down the "shock-scale" for things that hotel staff see.....

Actually, I thought the chambermaid exhibited more of a fear reaction than many of the others, who startled then more or less laughed. To me, the chambermaid seemed to drain of color, then move off as quickly but unobtrusively as she could in the other direction, probably muttering a prayer under her breath.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
And nobody stopped to say "Hola linda.  Que haces aqui tan solita?  Donde estan tus papas?"
[1]

Nobody thought about the child.  The person.  This kind of dehumanization, allowing an image, a single characteristic, (or a set of characteristics), to form our opinion about a person, to allow us to draw conclusions about a human being, this is a component of racism or other brands of hatred.  When we can dehumanize someone, we can hate them without knowing them.  We can completely lack empathy towards them.  We can plant bombs to kill them, or drop drones on them or shoot them from across a room or field. 

This is an extraordinarily disturbing video. 
 1. Loosely translated as "Hi sweetie  What are you doing here all alone?  Where are your parents?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »

Actually, I thought the chambermaid exhibited more of a fear reaction than many of the others, who startled then more or less laughed. To me, the chambermaid seemed to drain of color, then move off as quickly but unobtrusively as she could in the other direction, probably muttering a prayer under her breath.

Interesting.  I DID have to watch it on my phone, so I may have missed things I'd have seen on a full-screen.  I'll watch again when I get home.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
This video was posted by my instructor as part of the assignment this week in my Psych and the Media class (the topic is violence in the media). I found parts of the video disturbing as well, particularly the woman who really freaked out at the end.

I feel like an idiot for not noticing what Quesi noticed though. I was so caught up in watching people's physical reactions, I didn't even see the lack of concern for the child herself.

I wish I understood what the producers were saying to the girl while they were getting her ready.