Author Topic: good question [#2736]  (Read 883 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
good question [#2736]
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
i read your article and i appreciate the time you put together...i would like to see your view on the Devil? is that imaginary too? 
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: good question [#2736]
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:49 AM »
Quote from: V. Kint, 1995
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:38 AM »

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:28 AM »
i read your article and i appreciate the time you put together...i would like to see your view on the Devil? is that imaginary too?

The only thing that all atheists have in common is that they lack belief in deities.  That having been said, I'd hazard a guess that, for various reasons, it's highly unlikely you'll ever meet an atheist who believes that the devil exists.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »
Quote from: questioner 2736
I would like to see your view on the Devil? is that imaginary too?

Yes. 

Next question?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
i would like to see your view on the Devil? is that imaginary too?

This is not the first time I've seen this question, but it still baffle me.  You'd think that after we've made it clear we don't believe in any sort of deities, that the answer would be fairly obvious.  I guess it's some sort of "well, you must believe in something" reaction.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

Yes. Short, partial list of things that are imaginary ...

gods
devils
angels
demons
souls
Adam and Eve
sins

Also ...

ghosts
bigfoot
the loch ness monster
sasquach
alien abdutions

What do they all have in common?

No evidence.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
I'm more inclined to think these may exist than gods, devils, etc...

bigfoot
the loch ness monster
sasquach
alien abdutions

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:13:54 AM »

Indeed, the Devil is imaginary... you can stop worrying now.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:29 AM »
The Devil is a character in the texts and stories that I consider to be fiction.  He is no more real than god is.

An analogy would be if I told you that I believe that the Star Wars movies are just stories and that Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader are just fictional characters, and you ask "but what about Han Solo?  Do you think he is real?"

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
i would like to see your view on the Devil? is that imaginary too?

The devil is something used to control men by fear, intimidation, and threat of punishment. It is entirely made up and imaginary. Once you come to this conclusion the threat of hell-fire or the devil is utterly powerless to control your life. I am no more fearful of the devil than I am fearful of dandelions (at least one of them is real).
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »
Our disbelief extends to all fictional characters. So we do not believe in either the christian devil or any other religion-based bad guys. (which I guess includes the christian god, being as some christians currently have him causing earthquakes, hurricanes and Boston bombs in response to gays. And then there was the time that, or so christians brag, that he drowned us all...)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
falls into the same category as Voldemort. So, do you believe in Dumbledore?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
Its in the details.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »
And I suspect that JC is imaginary too. So it baffling to me how many millions of people see JC as their "saviour".
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 04:19:59 AM »

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to witness, does the falling tree still make a sound?

I just love well thought-out questions!  ;D
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 04:41:05 AM »
If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to witness, does the falling tree still make a sound?

I asked my 10 year old daughter that question and she said:

"Of course it will make a sound, duh. Just nobody will hear it."

I love that kid.  8)
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:11:18 AM »
Smart kid!
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »

I asked my 10 year old daughter that question and she said:

"Of course it will make a sound, duh. Just nobody will hear it."

I love that kid.  8)

Technically speaking, it doesn't. It causes a shockwave of air. Sound requires a receptor.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
In a forest, there'll always be something around to hear it. ;)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
tongue in cheek tone:

Now class, you have responded excellently to this. Here we have a prime example of someone who has no clue. Please note that they do not understand that the "Devil" is a part of the christian mythology. As you have learned, the devil does not exist outside of christianity although precursors do exist in the mythologies which christianity was derived from.

Note the curious wording. It could be disingenuous. Or this person could actually appreciate what they  read because they have been having doubts. If this is the case then the question about the devil may more directly pertain to a portion of the mythology that was driven deeply into this person's psyche and they are having a difficult time eradicating that vestige of their belief.

Hopefully, this person will join in the classroom discussion and we can see if they are gaining their reasoning capabilities back.

More seriously, anyone else find the wording curious? "... the Devil? is that imaginary too?" Most people use a male pronoun for the devil. But then I might just be reading stuff into it.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther