Author Topic: Kermit the butcher  (Read 369 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Kermit the butcher
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
Ok, so many of you have probably heard a little bit about this guy, Kermit Gosnell, a so called abortion doctor whose less than reputable (I'm being gentle here) methods lead to the death of a patient. Obviously, the type of abortions practiced by this alleged doctor are not within the bounds of acceptable abortion practice. Apparently the fetuses are delivered beyond 24 weeks, and their spinal cords are severed.

This story was posted on Facebook, from a Catholic news site. The comments are pretty embarrassing. While I would be in agreement that this type of abortion practice is not acceptable and that the doctor responsible was certainly in the wrong, the comments are just.... pathetic.

One commenter writes: "My God. What have we permitted as a nation."  Well genius, rather obviously this sort of abortion is not permitted, that's why you are commenting on a story about a trial.

Another commenter includes this line: "But I just remember they get to be with Jesus sooner."  Well if that's the case, and being with Jesus is a desirable thing, what are you bitching about?

Yet another commenter starts with "This is The Western Civilization that the majority of voting citizens have allowed to exist politically." Uh no dipshit, the doctor and his staff are ON TRIAL, which means that this behavior is NOT permitted.

Like I said, though I can be in agreement that this is a horrible horrible case, the conclusions that religious people draw from it are laughably stupid. If this was how all abortions were done, I might be against abortion too, but that just simply is not the case. Of course, these same folks are also, presumably anyways, against contraception, and likely also against programs that actually assist poor parents in feeding and raising their children, so their outrage seems a little bit disingenuous.

EDIT: Fixed spelling error in the title.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:26:41 AM by kaziglu bey »
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Kermit the butcher
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
This kind of thing will be more common if abortion is made harder to get or illegal.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »
This kind of thing will be more common if abortion is made harder to get or illegal.
Exactly. The fact that "pro-life" people demonize abortion so much, and paint things as if all abortions are equal or worse than what is described here, only makes this sort of thing happen more often. It's sad that religion seems to negate people's ability to think rationally. Of course, if they thought rationally, they wouldn't be religious in the first place.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:54:33 AM »
Exactly. The fact that "pro-life" people demonize abortion so much, and paint things as if all abortions are equal or worse than what is described here, only makes this sort of thing happen more often.

Exactly.  Imagine if we had decent global sex education, for starters.  Access to contraception, free from the tutting mouths of the religious.  And if going for an early term abortion didn't mean you were likely to be vilified or assualted by those same tutters. 

If we had all those things, Dr. Kermit simply wouldn't have had anyone needing his "services".
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
I'm just getting started on a paper on abortion for my poli-sci class. Anfaiglir's point is the one I'm going to hammer on throughout. It's appalling that this is happening when it can so easily be avoided. Comprehensive sex-ed and easy access to effective birth control are what is needed, not more BS from cretins who aren't interested in an actual solution.

This topic just pisses me off to no end. The anti-abortion crowd should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."