Author Topic: Celebrity imbicile criticizes Stephen Hawking  (Read 699 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
Celebrity imbicile criticizes Stephen Hawking
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
Kirk Cameron criticizes Stephen Hawking for saying ‘there is no heaven’

“Growing Pains” actor turned Christian film star Kirk Cameron is taking issue with comments famed physicist Stephen Hawking made about the existence of heaven. “There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers,” Hawking said of the human brain to the Guardian newspaper Monday. “That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/kirk-cameron-criticizes-stephen-hawkings-there-is-no-heaven-comment/2011/05/19/AFSp266G_blog.html

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
Re: Celebrity imbicile criticizes Stephen Hawking
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
What caught my attention was this bit from the comment section.

First I will state that I am a Christian, but follow no religion. I grew up in religion and it does not work; only faith and relationship and NOT JUDGING does.

Wrap your head around that one.  At least he knows that Cameron is full of it.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
oh shit.  I didn't realize that piece was from two years ago.  Old news. 

nevermind.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
Another comment that hit the same thing I thought, but far more eloquently:
To say that Stephen Hawking "has an unfair disadvantage,,,that gives him a free pass on some of his absurd ideas" is an astonishing mixture of condescension and stupidity. Hawking is disadvantaged in his ideas as van Gogh was disadvantaged in his painting.

Yeah, it's old, but the sentiments expressed by Cameron are timeless - wrong, but persistent.

I also didn't know that he heads an online ministry. I deserve the headache it's going to give me, I know, but I'm not going to be able to resist going to check it out...
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »
I also didn't know that he heads an online ministry. I deserve the headache it's going to give me, I know, but I'm not going to be able to resist going to check it out...

Oh I've been there.  Him and "Banana Man" have a doozy of a website/ministry.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
Got to give him an A+ for balls...
A not even B list actor and evangelist criticizing Steven Hawking, a renowned physicist, and John Lennon, a legendary musician, songwriter, performer...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:03 AM »
Even though I liked Growing Pains better than Full House, I always liked Candace better than Kirk.... Oh how I miss DJ Tanner. I bet she's disappointed in her brother. Kirk reminds me of this guy on my facebook that I used to work with, he'll just say anything to support his religion no matter how ridiculous it is. He's actually one of the VERY few people I respond to about religion on there due to the absurdity of the ramblings. I imagine Kirk annoys the hell out of his facebook friends too.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:57:05 AM »
Well, sometimes I'm a little embarrassed because I'm a little bit culturally illiterate.  There are gobs of famous actors I've never heard of, and gobs of sit coms I've never seen.  Never heard of half of the folks who win the Grammies in any given year.  I have no idea what Lindsay Lohan has ever done, other than appear in court periodically, according to headlines I skim in the news.  Sports stars?  I don't know hockey from basketball. 

Not that I'm all high brow or anything.  I'm certainly not. And I do watch trashy TV.  I watch Honey Boo Boo religiously, because I think it is an amazingly portrait of how poverty perpetuates itself via poor nutrition, poor life choices, and a lack of education that is passed on from generation to generation.  I can't stop watching it.  And I want to talk about it with everyone, and most folks in my social circles just roll their eyes when I bring it up.  And Ancient Aliens!  Wow.  And we think our monotheists here are silly.  These folks don't even have a set of scriptures to follow.  They just make it up as they go along, bending random pieces of evidence to suit their pre-conceived fantasies.  And NCIS!  Abby is great.  I love how she is an unparalleled expert in everything from computer hardware to genetics to molecular biology to obscure species of fungi to tire manufacturing, who somehow finds the time to maintain a quirky set of fetishes, attends frequent concerts and off-beat parties, and volunteers to help the needy.  She also maintains an astonishingly fascinating wardrobe that she sure as hell didn't pick up at walmart on the way home from work.  She is the ultimate cartoon superhero. 

In this case, I don't feel embarrassed.  I've never heard of Kirk Cameron.  But I know the work of Stephan Hawking fairly well.  And I know the work of John Lennon pretty well too. 

So sometimes, I guess, my odd cultural filters are working just right. 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
LOVE, LOVE. LOVE Abby !!!  Don't forget she bowls with nuns and had a relationship with a little person.  ABBY ROCKS !
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:59:23 AM »
BANANA!!

Checkmate, atheists *snigger*
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:54 AM »
He says, <<“Professor Hawking is heralded as ‘the genius of Britain,’ yet he believes in the scientific impossibility that nothing created everything and that life sprang from non-life,” the actor continued.>>

I have sent him an email regarding his ignorance: "If I may correct you, it is a proven scientific fact that you can obtain something from what you imagine to be “nothing”. Your concept of “nothing” is the one held in the 19th century."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”