Author Topic: Oklahoma restaurant cancels Camp Quest fundraiser event  (Read 377 times)

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
Oklahoma restaurant cancels Camp Quest fundraiser event
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
The owner of a restaurant called Oklahoma Joe's Bar-B-Cue canceled a Camp Quest fundraiser event after guests had already started arriving, even though the event had been planned more than a month previous. He claims that they had not been up front about their non-religious views until he saw something about it on a brochure they were handing out at the event. Camp Quest disputes this claim, and says it had provided such information to the restaurant's management early on, but allows that it's possible that it might not have been passed on to him.

The restaurant owner offered refunds to those few who had already purchased food, but they asked instead to only be refunded the 10% that was originally promised for Camp Quest.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/1by9y0/camp_quest_oklahoma_was_just_kicked_out_of_their/

http://www.ktul.com/story/21923320/broken-arrow-restaurant-stops-kid-camp-fundraiser-with-conflicting-beliefs

http://media2.kjrh.com/html/pdfs/okjoes_statement.pdf

http://www.campquest.org/oklahomajoes

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Oklahoma restaurant cancels Camp Quest fundraiser event
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
From a statement issued by the fundraisers:

We want to thank everyone who has supported Camp Quest Oklahoma this week after their fundraising event at a barbecue restaurant was cancelled on Monday night.  The cancellation of their fundraiser, which had already started, was due to the restaurant owner, Joe Davidson, claiming that supporting the camp wasn't compatible with his Christian identity.  Since the cancellation, Camp Quest Oklahoma has raised over $5,000 in donations, and these donations have come from Christians as well as members of the secular community.  We know that Mr. Davidson's views and actions do not represent all Christians, and have been especially heartened to see messages and donations from Christians like one man on facebook who said "I am Christian and read on Reddit what happened. Donated because what they did was ridiculous. Hope it helps."

It was nice of them to include the part I bolded.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
^^^Indeed it was. Camp Quest is a classy organization, and I'm proud to support them.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
Jag?  Have you done any of their family camps?  I've thought about bringing my daughter at some point. 

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
No, sorry, I have no first hand experiences to offer. My kids were grown by the time I ... woke up. I hope to send my granddaughter when she's old enough (less than 3 months old now), but that's not going to be up to me - my son is a quiet atheist but mom is a non-practicing believer, so it's hard to say at this point. My daughter has made it clear that her kids (which don't even exist yet) will go. Heck, I'd have loved to go to a camp like this when I was a kid!

Everything I've read, or heard from others with actual experience, indicates that it's a great organization. I've talked with fellow heathens at various gatherings (when I was trying to determine if I wanted to donate), and have never heard anything negative. I can ask one of them to stop by and talk to you about it if you want.

Edited for grammar error
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:16:32 PM by Jag »
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."