Author Topic: The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense  (Read 1449 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense
« on: April 07, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »
What are your thoughts?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
post self-edited
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:38:00 PM by magicmiles »
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »
A minor quibble:

I personally remain unconvinced that the great wilderness areas of the Pacific Northwest are home an undiscovered hominid, yet, IMO, the odds of the existence of bigfoot are greater than the odds regarding the efficacy of prayers and existence of angels. 

;D

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
A minor quibble:

I personally remain unconvinced that the great wilderness areas of the Pacific Northwest are home an undiscovered hominid, yet, IMO, the odds of the existence of bigfoot are greater than the odds regarding the efficacy of prayers and existence of angels. 

;D
Yes, odds of Bigfoot = 1/(infinity - 1)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
I like how Scientology is the epicenter of the crazy.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

When Tom Cruise passes, it will move slightly left.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »
Ear candles is good. How about green glowing radiation things? Kryptonite?

Offline Hierophant

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
Unfortunately they did not also include "criminal bollocks," because Scientology is first and foremost a criminal organization. People like to concentrate on the quackery because it's funny, but it distracts from the giant number of unlawful imprisonments, human trafficking, massive breaking of labor laws, criminal front groups, death threats and judicial harassment, support of Apartheid and racism in general, etc.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »

When Tom Cruise passes, it will move slightly left.

And when Christianity finally gives up the ghost we will only have a trinity of quackery!

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
Who made this?

Offline Eaten by Bears

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:06:59 AM »
It's a great diagram.

I saw this posted via a science page on Facebook - the feedback was surprising with the majority of people very critical of it, and  defending whatever particular bit of woo they happened to believe in.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 06:09:02 AM »
Who made this?

I think it was Jesus, He made everything. ;)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
Good answer:
"It's a great diagram.

I saw this posted via a science page on Facebook - the feedback was surprising with the majority of people very critical of it, and  defending whatever particular bit of woo they happened to believe in."

Idiotic answer:

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
Ear candles is good. How about green glowing radiation things? Kryptonite?

Kryptonite is the only way Batman could take Superman.  And I doubt he could even pull that off.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »

Idiotic answer:

I think I am beginning to understand you holybuckets. It took me 3 minutes using tineye.com to find the origins of that diagram.

You however, refused to do any research yourself and simply became angry. Why won't you do the research? Why should other people have to make the running? (If you right click the image, you will also get to its properties.) You want everyone else to do your work... and then you want more.

This gave me the idea that you are incredibly close minded. You really do stick your fingers in your ears and shout La-La-La!
Look at the number of times that you have wailed that atheists have to prove God does not exist.
Look how you never explain why you don't think that Hindu gods exist? (Here's a list of them with pictures: (I've done some more work for you) http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm)
Look how you never say what proof you want,
Look how you never say the standard of proof you want;
Look how you never give any reason to suppose the existence of any gods;
Look how you ignore the argument about Russell's Teapot;
Look how you assert there is a God but never say why you assert that.

Why are you like this?

Can we have a break? Just tell us what proof you have of the existence of a god known as Yahweh who is the combination of three beings.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:30:42 PM by Graybeard »

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:16:51 AM »

Idiotic answer:

I think I am beginning to understand you holybuckets. It took me 3 minutes using tineye.com to find the origins of that diagram.

You however, refused to do any research yourself and simply became angry. Why won't you do the research? Why should other people have to make the running? (If you right click the image, you will also get to its properties.) You want everyone else to do your work... and then you want more.

This gave me the idea that you are incredibly close minded. You really do stick your fingers in your ears and shout La-La-La!
Look at the number of times that you have wailed that atheists have to prove God does not exist.
Look how you never explain why you don't think that Hindu gods exist? (Here's a list of them with pictures: (I've done some more work for you) http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm)
Look how you never say what proof you want,
Look how you never say the standard of proof you want;
Look how you never give any reason to suppose the existence of any gods;
Look how you ignore the argument about Russell's Teapot;
Look how you assert there is a God but never say why you assert that.

Why are you like this?

Can we have a break? Just tell us what proof you have of the existence of a god known as Yahweh who is the combination of three beings.

Define proof.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »
I see that, in accordance with my earlier observation that you are unable or unwilling to do any work for yourself, you not only have given no proof of God, you also have no idea what proof is.

Proof is something that proves a statement; it is evidence or argument establishing a fact or establishing the truth of anything, or giving a reason to believe in the certainty of something; it is also an instance of this.

There are three standards of proof:

1. The balance of probabilities. This is used in courts in civil cases and is usually described as "Whether something is more likely than not." It is measured at 51%:49%. Example of this is that the times when you read a report in a newspaper that someone is suing the Pope or the church because of an "Act of God" caused him damages. These cases are always thrown out of court. It is also common in road accidents; it decides who is to blame. It is also the standard you use to decide whether or not you believe a used-car salesman.

2. The criminal standard: This is where the prosecution has to establish beyond all reasonable doubt that the accused did something. It is NOT "Beyond all possible doubt". An example of this is found in the cases where, in a murder case, the defendant's fingerprints and DNA are found on the gun but they say, "God told me to do it." or "Aliens pushed the gun into my hand and used mind-control to make me fire it. These defenses always fail.

3. The mathematical standard: This is where the proof is universally true: "In a two dimensional, right-angled triangle on a plane surface the square on the side of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides." In the strictest terms, it is not 100% but the probability is very, very, close to 100%

I don't want you to derail this into an argument of the definition of proof. Proof is something that can convince OR persuade an independent and reasonable person that something happened or something exists.

So, all I am asking is
Why you don't think that Hindu gods exist? (Here's a list of them with pictures: (I've done some more work for you) http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm)
What reason to have to assume the existence of any gods?
Why do you assert there is a God but never say why you assert that?
What proof do you want from us that there are no gods?
What the standard of proof you want from us? (Bear in mind that it should be The balance of probabilities. )

Now, please, give a coherent response to all the points in italics, otherwise we will have to conclude that, whether it is the Judeo-Christian god or any other god, you are unsure that there are any gods.

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
Thanks,
Now pick one of those to prove to me that God does not exist.

I can understand that you want to turn around, but it is not me who is coming up with this ridiculous anti-Christian stuff. Read it for yourself, all you atheists do is blah, blah blah. You guys see Christian apologetics all day long. Prove them wrong.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
Whatever your argument is for saying Vishnu or some weird tribal god does not exist; that's my argument for any god not existing.

I have already given my rationale for not believing that there can be or ever has been gods.

I see you are still unable to show anyone that Yahweh is real...

And for goodness sakes, don't play the poor persecuted Christian (at least not to me) it doesn't wash. You chose to be Christian and you take the baggage that goes with it:

2Tm:3:11: Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
2Tm:3:12: Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

There you are, it was foretold that people will call you an idiot and laugh at you. If we stopped, we would be making God out to be a liar.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
I don't seem to have any replies to my questions Holybuckets:  here they are again.

So, all I am asking is
Why you don't think that Hindu gods exist? (Here's a list of them with pictures: (I've done some more work for you) http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm)
What reason to have to assume the existence of any gods?
Why do you assert there is a God but never say why you assert that?
What proof do you want from us that there are no gods?
What the standard of proof you want from us? (Bear in mind that it should be The balance of probabilities. )

Now, please, give a coherent response to all the points in italics, otherwise we will have to conclude that, whether it is the Judeo-Christian god or any other god, you are unsure that there are any gods.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
Since he can't supply a reasonable response, maybe he should change his name to HolyFuckit.

I really appreciate your knowledge of the Bible and how you proffer it.
I am always flummoxed when these chest thumping Jesus Believers avoid discussion with you because they know so little about their Holy Book.

You probably noticed I’m using my new 2013 Microsoft Professional Office (with the Word Thesaurus) which I got for $10. Working for the Govment does have some perks.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
Thanks,
Now pick one of those to prove to me that God does not exist.

I can understand that you want to turn around, but it is not me who is coming up with this ridiculous anti-Christian stuff. Read it for yourself, all you atheists do is blah, blah blah. You guys see Christian apologetics all day long. Prove them wrong.

You have it quite backwards. The burden of proof rests upon you, not us. It is not our job to disprove every wacko claim to the supernatural. Do you just believe everything you hear until proven wrong? How gullible! It IS, on the other hand, your responsibility to demonstrate your claims to these alleged supernatural events/deities. Otherwise, we have good reason for thinking that you are credulous, gullible, and full of crap.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:36:18 PM by median »

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
I consider the argument "I treat your god the way you treat all others" to be a particularly powerful one.  It haven't seen it de-convert many people, so I won't call it effective.  But I don't think I've ever seen a theist take the question on directly.  There is always some attempt at obfuscation, and I have seen one or two of them fall back on "you can't prove mine doesn't exist!"  Even though that is exactly the point being made.

I often point out that in every other facet of their lives, theists depend on the same approach as atheists also apply to belief in god.  When it comes to belief in god, theists change their approach.  But that's not entirely true.  It's only when it comes to their god; when it comes to every other god, they're as skeptical as any atheist.  And I see this also in the arguments for the existence of a human soul, or any argument that implies that there is another plane of existence that we cannot detect, but that most definitely does exist.  Unfalsifiable claims don't pass muster for any other god/religion but their own.

As has been pointed out before, atheists simply add one more name to the "list of stuff that doesn't exist."

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +375/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
Could you elaborate on 'blah, blah blah'?  You kinda yada yada'd over the best part there.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
I can understand that you want to turn around, but it is not me who is coming up with this ridiculous anti-Christian stuff.

Btw, you sound just like a Mormon. "Golly gee, that's anti-Mormon! I won't listen!" So basically, you don't really care whether or not your beliefs are actually true. You just want to keep believing because it makes you feel comfortable and because it would be social suicide if you gave it up (i.e. your family/"friends" would abandon you).

The difference between us (non-believers) and you, is that we regard the search for truth higher than the comfort that comes from credulity.