Author Topic: Straight out of God Is Not Great  (Read 345 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Straight out of God Is Not Great
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
The ultra-Orthodox Jewish practice of metzitzah b'peh requires a practitioner to orally suck the baby's penis to 'cleanse' the open wound following its circumcision

That is possibly the most sick thing I've heard of.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
That was a thing a few years ago when two babies died from the infection.  I thought they'd made that illegal already. 

from the article:
The religious practice that dates back to more than 5,000 years

Probably not.  They weren't what we would call "jews" 5000 years ago. At that stage they were polytheistic or henotheistic and the Torah was incomplete (by today's standards) if it existed at all.  Their practices did not match what we'd call "jewish" until about 400-500 BCE.

I don't get why people think perpetuating stupid actions based on tradition is a great idea.  This is a barbaric practice and is obviously a health risk.  meh.  Consider it a form of natural selection. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +49/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »
Whether it's 5000 years old or only 2500 years old, it's still interesting that the omnipotent omnibenevolent being who created the universe commanded his followers to perform genital mutilation on infants, especially back in the day before there were sterile instruments. 

Most new parents I know are extremely careful to avoid causing unnecessary pain or suffering with their babies, but when I mentioned the pain of circumcision of a new mother of a baby boy, she justified it by saying that her son's pain from circumcision was less than the pain she suffered giving birth. 

I really think that one of the fundamental objectives of the Abrahamic religions is to confuse people's sense of empathy...to make them think some suffering is 'holy,' and therefore justifiable when inflicted upon others, just as the bible gives countless examples of god inflicting suffering on his chosen people, his prophets, and his only begotten son.