Author Topic: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing  (Read 35179 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing
« Reply #957 on: May 10, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
Any chance this thread will die anytime soon? Seems to me its just descended into insults on both sides.

I think its a detriment to the forum at this point.

I don't know, this isn't even close to the endless thread with the creepy pedophile, that took forever to die.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #958 on: May 10, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
But I'm clearly the mean one  ;).

No, not at all, obviously it was because of my comment about chartreuse... :o

I can be so harsh and judgemental at times. I freely admit it.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #959 on: May 10, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
Jag's definitely a meanie. She sends me expletive ridden PM's most days, and even tracked down my address and sent me a letter bomb. Fortuantely my great grandma opened the post that day. We were able to buy a much smaller coffin.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #960 on: May 10, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
^^^I wondered how that went. Foiled again.

But hey, at least I got a promotion:
Official wwgha Harpy.

Now I want to find an emoticon that fits my new title so I can stick it on the end of my mean posts.

Edited: perhaps this one?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:02:26 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #961 on: May 11, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »
Jag,

Remember when I called you a 'sweet' person? Boy was I wrong!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #962 on: May 11, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »
Junebug, what do you say about this situation in Bangladesh?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/37-dead-as-bangladesh-islamists-demand-tougher-blasphemy-law-363522?pfrom=home-otherstories

"Hang Atheists", how bad can that be?

I don't think you should be hanged but I do think you should show people a little more respect, then you wouldn't piss them off so much.  I would leave them alone if it was me. I would respect their anger and leave them alone.  The whole world should just leave them alone!!! 

I've always heard if you give a man enough rope he'll hang himself.  I'm talking about bad religion not atheism.  All this stuff we know is wrong with religions will eventually be it's own undoing.  It's happening right before our very eyes and has been for at least a couple of hundred years now in Christianity.  Islam is stuck back in BC and I'm telling you they need to be left alone to discover their religion's weaknesses on their own terms if they ever do.  I would like to think something positive will come from all this violence.

Take care and thanks for sharing.  Stay away from ropes!!! :angel: to look over you...
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #963 on: May 11, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
I thought you were leaving Junebug?!?!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #964 on: May 11, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
No, she had to drop in and smite me for the bird graphic, saying it was "disrespectful to the bird".
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #965 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
No, she had to drop in and smite me for the bird graphic, saying it was "disrespectful to the bird".
LOL I got one too... I could understand mine, kind of, but ehhh... whatcha gonna do?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #966 on: May 11, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
Jag,

Remember when I called you a 'sweet' person? Boy was I wrong!

-Nam

Busted flat - what can I say? I had you going for a while though!
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #967 on: May 11, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »

Yep - she's going to prove how she is a loving person who doesn't dodge questions, by coming back occasionally and......smiting people and not answering questions.

I don't, in truth, see anything different between Junebug and any of the other god-believers we get turn up here.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #968 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
 I'm talking about bad religion...

[/quote]

It's all bad with some worse than others.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #969 on: May 11, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
..... I do think you should show people a little more respect, then you wouldn't piss them off so much. 

Respect is earned, if it is to have any meaning or value at all.

I would leave them alone if it was me. I would respect their anger and leave them alone.  The whole world should just leave them alone!!! 

Why have you come back Junebug?  Why can't/won't YOU leave US alone, hmmm?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #970 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Yep - she's going to prove how she is a loving person who doesn't dodge questions, by coming back occasionally and......smiting people and not answering questions.

I don't, in truth, see anything different between Junebug and any of the other god-believers we get turn up here.

It's interesting; I personally know of two individuals (related to one of 'em) and have met numerous people like this in my life.  They have a facade of peace & love, rainbows and patchouli oil, complete with the embracing of a whole host of supernatural nonsensical beliefs like healing crystals, tarot cards, spirits, the meaning of dreams, psychics, etc, etc, etc.

Yet, when merely questioned on the validity or truthfulness of said beliefs, the barbs quickly come out, and the tissue-thin veneer of their lovey-dovey dream world vanishes as they quickly become angry and view you/me as the enemy.  I think it is telling when someone gets so upset when their assertions are questioned, and it tells us that their beliefs are very fragile & delicate things which, they know, won't stand scrutiny.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +203/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #971 on: May 11, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
Junebug, what do you say about this situation in Bangladesh?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/37-dead-as-bangladesh-islamists-demand-tougher-blasphemy-law-363522?pfrom=home-otherstories

"Hang Atheists", how bad can that be?

I don't think you should be hanged but I do think you should show people a little more respect, then you wouldn't piss them off so much.  I would leave them alone if it was me. I would respect their anger and leave them alone.  The whole world should just leave them alone!!! 

I've always heard if you give a man enough rope he'll hang himself.  I'm talking about bad religion not atheism.  All this stuff we know is wrong with religions will eventually be it's own undoing.  It's happening right before our very eyes and has been for at least a couple of hundred years now in Christianity.  Islam is stuck back in BC and I'm telling you they need to be left alone to discover their religion's weaknesses on their own terms if they ever do.  I would like to think something positive will come from all this violence.

Take care and thanks for sharing.  Stay away from ropes!!! :angel: to look over you...
In an era where nuclear weapons exist, don't you think religion might not just be it's own undoing, but the undoing of everyone else too?
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #972 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »

It's interesting; I personally know of two individuals (related to one of 'em) and have met numerous people like this in my life.  They have a facade of peace & love, rainbows and patchouli oil, complete with the embracing of a whole host of supernatural nonsensical beliefs like healing crystals, tarot cards, spirits, the meaning of dreams, psychics, etc, etc, etc.

You forgot conspiracy theories, hatred of doctors, and a cultivated feeling of smug arrogance. I think they are more affronted by the fact that anyone could have a different opinion to them.

I have met people with these types of beliefs that can absorb facts from other people, because their belief structure is not predicated on them being superior to everyone else.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #973 on: May 12, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
Oooooookaaaaaaaay... getting' back to the OP

*dusts off cobwebs*

Whilst I think I can feely admit that believing in a god is not necessarily a
bad thing, there is actual badness that stems from those who would try to enforce their beliefs In government, schools, law and society in general. I mean, if you don't know what religion is, what sort of rock have you been living under. People, we're (mostly) adults now, so I'm pretty sure we can make up our own decisions about what life is all about and what happens when we die. I don't need a self-righteous prick gloating at me that that I'm going to suffer alone. Forever.

So keep your religion. But remember: Do No Harm, and leave me the f#%k out of it.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #974 on: May 12, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »

Respect is earned, if it is to have any meaning or value at all.

We probably have different definitions of respect.

I figured I needed to check on the insults you guys were posting and you know what, they were there just as I had thought they would be.  Just what the world needs another group of people thinking they're better than everybody else. Perfect!  There is not 1 tiny fraction of me that thinks atheism is any better for society than religion.  In other words if you had left me alone, I would have left you alone.

Oooooookaaaaaaaay... getting' back to the OP

*dusts off cobwebs*

Whilst I think I can feely admit that believing in a god is not necessarily a
bad thing, there is actual badness that stems from those who would try to enforce their beliefs In government, schools, law and society in general. I mean, if you don't know what religion is, what sort of rock have you been living under. People, we're (mostly) adults now, so I'm pretty sure we can make up our own decisions about what life is all about and what happens when we die. I don't need a self-righteous prick gloating at me that that I'm going to suffer alone. Forever.

So keep your religion. But remember: Do No Harm, and leave me the f#%k out of it.

Yes I totally agree that religion should no longer influence politics.  It is something that should be private not public.

I am not religious. Sure no problem. By the way I don't believe in hell.  It's just a scare tactic to convert sinners, IMO.  That do no harm line is great advice, maybe some of your comrades should take under consideration. 

Have a nice day. :)
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #975 on: May 12, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »

In an era where nuclear weapons exist, don't you think religion might not just be it's own undoing, but the undoing of everyone else too?

People like you and me will not let that happen.  I believe in the power of positive thinking.  I think greed, not religion, will be our downfall and I try to stay positive on that issue as well but after this thread I'll admit I am discouraged. :'(
Thomas Paine

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #976 on: May 12, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »

Do you respect some people more than others?  Surely you do.  So did they earn it, or did you just randomly hand it out?

I figured I needed to check on the insults you guys were posting and you know what, they were there just as I had thought they would be.  Just what the world needs another group of people thinking they're better than everybody else. Perfect!  There is not 1 tiny fraction of me that thinks atheism is any better for society than religion.  In other words if you had left me alone, I would have left you alone.

Since you sought out this forum to make posts and comments, you were the one stirring the pot.  You didn't leave them alone.  Why would they leave you alone?  You went to them!

Also, a lot of what you consider to be insults are comments on your behavior.  Behavior can be changed.  It's not a part of who you are.  For example, if someone is mean, and someone else tells them they're being mean, that's not an insult.  It describes the action of being mean, not the person's character.

That said, some people on here have been very insulting.  I've seen some call you "retard" and such.  That is inexcusable.  By judging this entire forum by those comments, you are being as judgmental as the worst of religion.  Please don't do that.

Yes I totally agree that religion should no longer influence politics.  It is something that should be private not public.

I am not religious. Sure no problem. By the way I don't believe in hell.  It's just a scare tactic to convert sinners, IMO.  That do no harm line is great advice, maybe some of your comrades should take under consideration.

But you just included natlegend as one of the problems further up your post.  She is "one of you guys", as in one of the members here.  Be careful about who you denounce, eh?

Also, English is useful.  Your beliefs are "religious" according to the dictionary.  Claiming otherwise is not honest.

Kind of a back-handed pleasantry after the first part of your post...
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #977 on: May 12, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »

People like you and me will not let that happen.  I believe in the power of positive thinking.  I think greed, not religion, will be our downfall and I try to stay positive on that issue as well but after this thread I'll admit I am discouraged. :'(

Greed will never cause a nuclear war.  There is no profit in such a war, for anyone.  However, the religious belief that the world should burn in a holy firestorm might start it.  Here religion, not greed, is the danger.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #978 on: May 12, 2013, 07:44:09 AM »

Yet, when merely questioned on the validity or truthfulness of said beliefs, the barbs quickly come out, and the tissue-thin veneer of their lovey-dovey dream world vanishes as they quickly become angry and view you/me as the enemy.  I think it is telling when someone gets so upset when their assertions are questioned, and it tells us that their beliefs are very fragile & delicate things which, they know, won't stand scrutiny.

You don't know anybody like me.  I am not a Rainbow Child.  I don't see you as an enemy. 

I am not upset at all for your scrutiny of my beliefs.  I don't take kindly to being called stupid, unreasonable, or mentally ill because I believe differently from you.  There is no excuse for treating a fellow human being that way. 

Since you don't like the idea of a friendly world; what are you fussing about?  Religion, poverty you must like that stuff because without it you wouldn't have all the turmoil you need to fulfill your desire for chaos.

My belief is neither fragile or delicate.  I believe God loves us no matter what we believe, so God wouldn't care if I joined an atheist movement as long as I "do no harm".  I just won't be a part of it because more than I believe in God, I believe in being Nice. 
Thomas Paine

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #979 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
The thing, again, JB is you want to classify what you believe in as NOT religion, but then beliefs that YOU personally dont hold, you want to call religion, then classify religion as bad. Yet you havent expressed a viable way to distinguish between correct and incorrect beliefs. We cannot take your word anymore than we can just take Fred Phelps word.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:37:04 AM by The Gawd »

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #980 on: May 12, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »

Do you respect some people more than others?  Surely you do.  So did they earn it, or did you just randomly hand it out?

Since you sought out this forum to make posts and comments, you were the one stirring the pot.  You didn't leave them alone.  Why would they leave you alone?  You went to them!

Also, a lot of what you consider to be insults are comments on your behavior.  Behavior can be changed.  It's not a part of who you are.  For example, if someone is mean, and someone else tells them they're being mean, that's not an insult.  It describes the action of being mean, not the person's character.

That said, some people on here have been very insulting.  I've seen some call you "retard" and such.  That is inexcusable.  By judging this entire forum by those comments, you are being as judgmental as the worst of religion.  Please don't do that.

But you just included natlegend as one of the problems further up your post.  She is "one of you guys", as in one of the members here.  Be careful about who you denounce, eh?

Also, English is useful.  Your beliefs are "religious" according to the dictionary.  Claiming otherwise is not honest.

Kind of a back-handed pleasantry after the first part of your post...

See I knew someone would start an argument about respect, I knew it. 

wikipedia:

Religion is an organized collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. From their ideas about the cosmos and human nature, they tend to derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle. According to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world.[1]
Many religions may have organized behaviors, clergy, a definition of what constitutes adherence or membership, holy places, and scriptures. The practice of a religion may also include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration of a deity, gods or goddesses, sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trance, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service or other aspects of human culture. Religions may also contain mythology.[2]
The word religion is sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system; however, in the words of Émile Durkheim, religion differs from private belief in that it is "something eminently social".[3] A global 2012 poll reports that 59% of the world's population is religious, 23% are not religious, and 13% are atheists.[4]

I am not part of any organization, I do not do rituals.  I am in the 23%.   There is a lot of differences between.  The biggest being I don't claim to "know" anything 100%.  I know that I could be wrong and "hope" that I'm right. You're only dishonest if you know you're being dishonest and I know you don't distinguish a difference and that's ok, I can live with that, BUT DON'T CALL ME DISHONEST.  I take a lot of pride in being honest and it's just uncalled for.  Attacks on me doesn't make you right about anything and it's so apparent you're trying to decimate my character instead of my position.  Every time you do this you prove my point that you don't have to have "belief" to care nothing for others. All you have to be is human.

That is a ridiculous argument.  This website would be mute if people like me didn't come here.  On my behaviour, come on now I am not your child and ooooooooo just don't know what to say to that.  I'm going to forgive you, that's what I'm going to do.

Take care.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #981 on: May 12, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
The thing, again, JB is you want to classify what you believe in as NOT religion, but then beliefs that YOU personally dont hold, you want to call religion, then classify religion as bad. Yet you havent expressed a viable way to distinguish between correct and incorrect beliefs. We cannot take your word anymore than we can just take Fred Phelps word.

23% of the population and growing!!!

I think how it affects society is a very viable way of determining which beliefs are good and which ones are bad.
Thomas Paine

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #982 on: May 12, 2013, 09:21:03 AM »
I didn't start an argument about respect.  I just pointed out that some people earn more respect from us than others.  How is that an argument?  I figured we'd just agree on that point and then move on.

Regarding your definition of religion, I never used the word religion.  I didn't say you belonged to a religion.  I said your beliefs were religious.  That is a different word.  It has many meanings, and by a good chunk of them, we're in agreement:  you are not religious.  There's a key point though:

Quote from: Dictionary.com
Religious is a general word, applying to whatever pertains to faith or worship

Your beliefs are faith-based.  That makes them religious.  They're about the supernatural.  So are religious beliefs.

Even if we were to agree that your beliefs are not religious beliefs, they would still share most characteristics with religious beliefs.  So what's the point of avoiding the word, in the end?

Also I did not call you dishonest.  I said that a certain class of actions is dishonest.  Whether you engage in those actions is up to you.  You are neither inherently honest or dishonest.  It all depends on what you do.

I was not treating you as a child, let alone my child.  Just using the word "behavior" doesn't mean you're treating someone as a child.  I have behavior.  You have behavior.  It's a valid thing to talk about.

I don't need your forgiveness, by the way, as I've done nothing wrong.  If you wish to be in a position to forgive people, then there are religions that could use you well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:23:04 AM by Azdgari »

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #983 on: May 12, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
Youre ignoring the whole segment you quoted.

It did not say an organization, it said organized. I can be organized and not part of an organization. Your beliefs are organized in that you continually tell us what "god" is and isnt. That is an organized group of thoughts and belief system. The segment goes on to say "Many religions" over and over. Meaning not all, many doesnt even suggest most. All it does is describe SOME religions.

It also states that the practice of religion MAY include:  commemoration or veneration of a deity, gods or goddesses, meditation, prayer, public service or other aspects of human culture. Religions may also contain mythology.

That indeed DOES describe what you have been talking about in your belief system (aka religion). You talk about "god", prayer, human culture, mythology (Jesus), you tell us what god is and isnt. That is religion as per the article YOU posted. You seem to be under the impression that because youre the only one that has YOUR beliefs that it makes it NOT religion. That is false, your situation is just like a church with no congregation, the lack of attendance doesnt make it any less a church. You are in the 59% based upon what you have posted.

When you stop telling us what "god" is and isnt, and what he wants and doesnt want, and stop referring to characters in a book of myths then you can claim "not religious" but until then...

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #984 on: May 12, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
I fully expect to get at least one smite for my posts.  That is what people seem to get for trying to talk to junebug.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #985 on: May 12, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
Take care.

That would be greedy, to take it. Care should be purchased on credit.

Look at this; more greed: http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/article/-/17094076/abandoned/
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.