Author Topic: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing  (Read 36492 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Re: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing
« Reply #609 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »
Look at it like this JB,

You stated earlier in another thread that you made up your religion because the god of these other religions would not accept you for who you are. Now, the people that believe in that god (ironically the same god you believe in still) also dont accept you for who you are based on what that god has written down in his autobiography (the bible). But somehow you cannot grasp how belief is bad? When you have already expressed how it IS bad? Color me confused with a large crayon.

No that's not what I said. Is that really all you people got here is twisting words. You really believe God wrote the Bible? I sure don't!!!
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #610 on: April 26, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »
Junebug, I'm sure you'd agree that if someone fervently believed that you deserved to be tortured, then that belief would be a bad thing, right?

I don't know if that's been covered yet; it's a long thread and I admit I havn't read all the posts.

Hi Az,

There are many pages where I have shown the differences between religion and belief. It's really simple, Believing in God is not a bad thing, Making up ridiculous rituals when it has not shown to be necessary can be and is a monstrous thing!

Thanks for joining in.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #611 on: April 26, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
New boy here, I've been watching this from the sidelines and I think you may have covered this but the impression I get is that June is trying to draw a line between a belief and an action as a result of that belief. So, for example, you could be someone who was drawn toward an act they knew was self-destructive or illegal, but if they didn't act on it they would still be a "good" person - and that could probably be true.

However, that really seems to be word play to insulate those beliefs from critical examination along the lines of "respect my beliefs", and it still requires a double-standard to assign positive improvements to that belief whilst blaming the person if they acted in a negative manner.

June, no matter how humble you may feel your current position to be, I wish you could acknowledge that all the benefits and improvements that you've seen in your life came from you and not some specially-tailored version of a god.

Also, to be honest, you seem to be forming your beliefs based on what you want to be true:

As long as there is a shred of hope that life after death exists, this is the path I must follow, I long to see my mother again in a land without pain,fear, or sadness.

Do we not owe it to ourselves to give any option that includes eternal existence every opportunity before dismissing it. I owe it to myself I know.

Things like "a shred of hope" and "any option" make that vague enough to be pretty much unfalsifiable; one can just keep stacking those "what ifs" ad-infinitum. You don't seem to be there, but those are arguments that are often used to exploit the vulnerable because arguing like that gives you license to believe almost anything. And, no, personally I don't desire eternal existence.

Hi X. Welcome to the discussion.

I've come a long way since that first post. I am not the only one of my kind you know? Granted this way of thinking isn't as popular as the almighty church, but it gets around. I wouldn't have known that if it weren't for this forum.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Take care.
Thomas Paine

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
« Reply #612 on: April 26, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
Junebug, I'm sure you'd agree that if someone fervently believed that you deserved to be tortured, then that belief would be a bad thing, right?

I don't know if that's been covered yet; it's a long thread and I admit I havn't read all the posts.

Hi Az,

There are many pages where I have shown the differences between religion and belief. It's really simple, Believing in God is not a bad thing, Making up ridiculous rituals when it has not shown to be necessary can be and is a monstrous thing!

Thanks for joining in.

I made no mention of religion in my question.  Are you willing to answer?  If not, then, that's fine; I'll back out.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #613 on: April 26, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
The blame lies with Greed. That's why I blame greed because greed is responsible for bad religion. You are not going to get rid of poverty without getting rid of greed.

This is like a communist manifesto. It's sounds intellectually plausible that greed causes poverty, but the root cause of poverty is man's dependence on cooperation, due to overpopulation. Once upon a time, we could live in food rich jungle and savannah environments, where poverty was apparently an irrelevant concept, because there was no wealth, per se, and food could be procured easily. Once populated, we moved into an agrarian lifestyle, and job specialization, so we needed economics to motivate some people to do way more labour. Anyone slightly clued up on economics knows that poorness is considered a motivator, and poorness is required for capitalism to work, or people just sit around waiting to be fed, and overpopulating even more.

It's a non-productive idea, to pretend that greed can be eliminated, for the sake of eradicating "poverty", which is a concept that is fluid. Idiocy appears to be the real cause of poverty in developed countries. You should look at why some people are idiots.

In 3rd world countries, poverty is caused by entrenched corrupt culture, overpopulation on poor soils, tropical disease. Eradicating poverty is a multifactorial problem, not a communist manifesto.

I have no idea what you think is bad religion, because it's all bad.[1]
 1. here I'm using my own definition of bad

See this is why greed is so scary. Sounds rational, but it's not.

You want to insult idiots and talk about people like that. You just got done saying can't live without them. Not everybody has the desire to oppress others so they can have way more than they need. When it gets to the point where you have to be a millionaire in this country to be middle class, there won't be much of one around.

I think people that work harder should earn more than a worker but I also think, that worker should earn enough to support a family especially when the employer is earning billions and billions of dollars. Employees of a billion dollar corp. should not have to be on welfare.

I will argue you are an unpatriotic idiot if you do not see the harm greed has inflicted on this country; then the rest of the world.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #614 on: April 26, 2013, 11:45:47 AM »

Hi Az,

Thanks for joining in.

I made no mention of religion in my question.  Are you willing to answer?  If not, then, that's fine; I'll back out.

Sorry Az, didn't mean to be illusive. I'm happy to answer your question. I think belief in torture is a horrible thing. I don't believe God condones it.
Thomas Paine

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
« Reply #615 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
Of course you don't.  That still avoids answering my question, though.  I didn't even make a mention of gods in my post.  My question was only about one particular belief:  The belief that you deserve to be tortured.  Good belief?  Bad belief?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +663/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #616 on: April 26, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
No that's not what I said. Is that really all you people got here is twisting words. You really believe God wrote the Bible? I sure don't!!!

In all fairness, juney-buggy-wuggy, you are a bit inconsistent when it comes to the bible.  If my memory is correct, you quote some verses from it while denouncing others.  As a result, it looks like you want to have your cake and eat it too. 

Meanwhile, the rest of us are confused.  We have no idea what you consider in-bounds and out, nor how you arrived at your conclusions.   Well, we actually have a pretty good idea how you came to your conclusions.  We just are surprised by some of your choices.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #617 on: April 26, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
I just came here to tell Atheists and Gays that God Loves You. I don't want other gay people or anybody having to go through what I did. When I first accepted I was gay I thought I was worthless because I had been taught my whole life that I was an abomination to God. That was an awful place to be for a young single mother w/o her mother or father, but just a few friends to help me survive. Do you know how many suicides there are among gays? The answer isn't tell them God doesn't exist, you tell them God loves you I don't care what those religious people say.
Wouldn't it be better to tell them that actual, existing people love them?
This is how I became spiritual rather than religious.
I get it.  You believe in unorganized unsubstantiated bullshit.

Why is it everytime I read your posts I feel like I'm walking into a trap?
Why is it every time a question is posed to you that you assume that some ulterior motive beyond honest inquiry exists?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #618 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
I just came here to tell Atheists and Gays that God Loves You... Do you know how many suicides there are among gays? The answer isn't tell them God doesn't exist, you tell them God loves you I don't care what those religious people say.

Junebug, I am no longer accepting any secondhand reports from humans as regards the emotions, intentions or instructions of gods.  I know all too well from My own experiences how easy it is to "hear" the voice of a being that isn't actually there.  Furthermore, I am strongly of the opinion that any god worthy of the name should at least be able to communicate directly and unambiguously rather than resorting to middlemen.

A "love" that is just words on an invisible blackboard, and which does not translate into real-world action, is not worth the invisible chalk it's written in.  Where is your god when people are being bullied, some to the point of chronic PTSD, others so unrelentingly that they choose to end their lives rather than endure another day of pain?  If your god does indeed care what happens to those people, its concern is quite obviously without material effect in the real world, and therefore of no assistance to the purported beneficiaries of that concern.  Being told "God loves you" is worse than useless in that context.

At the heart of it all, when I hear "God loves you," I don't want to hear a subtext of "Trust that it'll be better in heaven."  I don't want to hear "I don't know why you're going through that ordeal, but I'm sure there's a reason for it."  And I certainly don't want the subtext to be "You ingrate!  Jesus died on the cross for you, and you're sitting there crying because Mike tripped you and called you a fucking dyke?  Get over it, already."

No, what I really want to hear is "I care about you, and I want you to have a good life.  How can I help?"

And at the heart of it all, that's more precious than second-hand love from a god.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #619 on: April 26, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
Hi Az,

Thanks for joining in.

I feel so sorry for you. I pray for you the hardest.

Yup.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #620 on: April 26, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
When I make a decision concerning God's will, when I'm trying to figure it out, I ask myself, what would a God that Loves us do?

As God is beyond human comprehension, how do you manage that?

I will say again that bad religion is a direct consequence of greed. Greed is the enemy not belief.

You have done nothing to show that greed is the primary cause of anyone's ills, nor have you linked greed to God's word (as you interpret it) nor have you done anything to establish that "God loves us."

Your fixed belief appears to be without foundations.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +871/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #621 on: April 26, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »
If god made human beings, and human beings are greedy, god made us greedy. So blaming every human ill on greed is a major copout.

There is still a lot of non-greed human suffering (and animal suffering) caused by natural disaster, physical disease, mental illness, etc. totally due to the negligence (or absence) of an all-powerful, all-loving god.

And as atheists, we know god did not write the bible. But it doesn't matter if a god wrote it or my next-door-neighbor's crazy cousin Kenny wrote it-- the bible is full of contradictory nonsense. And considering that fact, I am willing to bet a dollar that my next-door-neighbor's crazy cousin Kenny wrote it.

If you, junebug, give any credence to the bible, you have to be able to distinguish the "crazy cousin Kenny" parts from the rest. Now how do you do that? Just by what feels right, or do you have actual criteria? :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #622 on: April 26, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »
I just came here to tell Atheists and Gays that God Loves You. I don't want other gay people or anybody having to go through what I did.

Well, then, you've failed miserably. You couldn't "tell" yourself out of a wet paper bag. You're a dime a dozen. You go to a forum filled with people who think critically, and try to make decisions based on evidence, and you selfishly insist everyone listen to your ignorant, emotional pablum unquestioningly.

Jesus Christ, woman! Did you pay attention in grade 8 language class? Part of thinking critically in "telling" anything to anyone includes considering your audience and tayloring your approach to them. In aristotelian terms, everything in your posts is pathos pathos pathos. Literally, pathetic. Talk about feeling sorry. Such selfishness.

FAIL FAIL FAIL

Do you know how many suicides there are among gays? The answer isn't tell them God doesn't exist, you tell them God loves you I don't care what those religious people say.

False dichotomy. There are not only two options. How about considering you're not a mental health expert and shutting your yap as the better course? Ya, maybe instead of you talking about yourself, and imaginary friends, a suicidal person may need actual help? Maybe better than another flavour of make-believe is a dose of reality and education.

You know, education, that shit teachers do that pulls third world economies out of the dark ages and empowers millions previously stiffled by superstition and stupidity? You know, that thing that empowers women across the earth? It's based on facts.

This is how I became spiritual rather than religious.

First remove the beam from your own I.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #623 on: April 26, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »
@AP, is 'Ya' a Canadian thing, or just a personal habit? I ask because I've seen you use it often. Sorry for my quick off topic detour.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #624 on: April 26, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
Canadian.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #625 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
Thanks.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #626 on: April 26, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Thanks.

It's a common short form for "yeah" (pronounced "ya") and happens more with Canadians, IME. But, I've seen Americans shorten her up as well.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #627 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
Look at it like this JB,

You stated earlier in another thread that you made up your religion because the god of these other religions would not accept you for who you are. Now, the people that believe in that god (ironically the same god you believe in still) also dont accept you for who you are based on what that god has written down in his autobiography (the bible). But somehow you cannot grasp how belief is bad? When you have already expressed how it IS bad? Color me confused with a large crayon.

No, god doesnt exist. Therefore I know the version of god youre talking about didnt do let alone write anything. But what I'm confused about is how you believe in this Jesus character without believing the bible since that and the Qu'ran are the only writings that tell you anything about this character. So based on your beliefs you either must believe in the bible, or you are making it up yourself.

And you did say you made up your religion since the gods presented to you would not accept you as you are.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #628 on: April 26, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »
See this is why greed is so scary. Sounds rational, but it's not.

(Trying to keep this vaguely on-topic)

What's scary is that some people think there is a magical way to solve the world's problems, by waving an anti-greed wand over people.

I believe that your original statement was that there was no way to get rid of poverty without eliminating greed. You said this for no apparent reason - maybe to diversify the thread contents with incorrect absolute statements.

I would contend that there is a way to solve the world's problems by implementing a correct rule-set, and being realistic about people's greed. Many of us have come up with Communist Manifestos, but have been unable to prove that their Regime does not result in more carnage and poorness than the already relatively stable capitalist system, which is rational.

The trick is to minimize suffering, using a consistent rule-set and properly implement it, without using Harry Potter technology.

You want to insult idiots and talk about people like that.

They weren't insulted. Only people who self-identify as idiots would be offended by the assertion that idiots are idiotic.

I think people that work harder should earn more than a worker but I also think, that worker should earn enough to support a family especially when the employer is earning billions and billions of dollars. Employees of a billion dollar corp. should not have to be on welfare.

You can put this into your manifesto. What if the billion dollar corporation is not producing goods that people want to buy, or has to compete against another billion dollar corporation? Perhaps one corporation should bow out, and surrender to the other, and then steal all the shareholder wealth, to give it to the employees, so they can be rich for a month, while they look for a new job.

I will argue you are an unpatriotic idiot if you do not see the harm greed has inflicted on this country; then the rest of the world.

Pulling out the Patriot weapon? You should try Hitler, next.

I also see that by not using Harry Potter technology, the world has suffered. We could all be eating magical food, if we just used magic to solve all the problems. Why don't we? I guess it's all due to the arrogance of scientists, who say it can't be done. No end to human folly.

Please don't hesitate to send a copy of your Communist Manifesto to Obama, he will find it a great help.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #629 on: April 27, 2013, 03:10:25 AM »
Every word you type makes your predjudice clearer.

Make stuff up it doesn't help you disprove my statement that "belief is not a bad thing." I guess you don't care how desperate you appear. That is up to you.

Why do you feel that predjudice against mental illness is related to your god-belief?  I never said that, nor implied it.

Because you secretly know your opinions are inconsistent and don't want to get into a situation where that is made clear to you, perhaps?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #630 on: April 27, 2013, 03:16:48 AM »
I just came here to tell Atheists and Gays that God Loves You.

So you claim.  Westboro' guys say god DOES hate gays.

Unfortuntely - since you are unwilling or unable to provide any evidence to back your statements - there is NO difference in credibility between your assertion, and theirs.

Can you see that, Junebug?  Can you see that statements made without evidence are nothing more than opinion, and that there is therefore no reason to accept any one in preference to another?

Consider these two statements:

Anfauglir likes lemon squash.
Anfauglir does not like lemon squash.

Which is true, Junebug?  How would you go about determining which one is true?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #631 on: April 27, 2013, 06:03:50 AM »
Of course you don't.  That still avoids answering my question, though.  I didn't even make a mention of gods in my post.  My question was only about one particular belief:  The belief that you deserve to be tortured.  Good belief?  Bad belief?

I admit the first reply did not address your question but you're going to have to explain how the second response was not a direct answer. Yal pound that, avoid answers thing, into the ground! You know starry skies tried the same thing and out of umpteen hundred questions only found 1 unanswered. I spend hour after hour of my precious time on answering questions. To keep saying I don't makes it look like you're not paying attention.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #632 on: April 27, 2013, 06:54:18 AM »
I just came here to tell Atheists and Gays that God Loves You.

So you claim.  Westboro' guys say god DOES hate gays.

Unfortuntely - since you are unwilling or unable to provide any evidence to back your statements - there is NO difference in credibility between your assertion, and theirs.

Can you see that, Junebug?  Can you see that statements made without evidence are nothing more than opinion, and that there is therefore no reason to accept any one in preference to another?

Consider these two statements:

Anfauglir likes lemon squash.
Anfauglir does not like lemon squash.

Which is true, Junebug?  How would you go about determining which one is true?

I said just because somebody says it, does not make it so. I've seen a change in attitudes in my 20 some years as a lesbian and it's getting better everyday!!! I thank God for that.

Unwilling is just not true. I have given you everything I got.

Maybe Anf don't like lemon squash fried but loves the casserole.

Mankind has still not made it to Mars, but you think we're going to find God. I think we have our reasoning. There is a natural world that can be   
felt, seen, heard. There is a spiritual world and it's only accessible through the heart, mind, and soul. That is where you find God. If you look there you will find what you are looking for. If you're not willing to do some of the work for yourself I can not help you with your evidence, but if
you are willing maybe I can.

Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #633 on: April 27, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
Every word you type makes your predjudice clearer.

Make stuff up it doesn't help you disprove my statement that "belief is not a bad thing." I guess you don't care how desperate you appear. That is up to you.

Why do you feel that predjudice against mental illness is related to your god-belief?  I never said that, nor implied it.

Because you secretly know your opinions are inconsistent and don't want to get into a situation where that is made clear to you, perhaps?

No, it's because you're questions are little trappettes.

After several attempts to prove my statement, I was making dents but not driving it home. I got to thinking about all the information going back and forth and then it happened. It was clear as a bell. Greed is knife in the back that's killing us, not belief. I told you I will walk away from this stronger and wiser.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #634 on: April 27, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »

I believe that your original statement was that there was no way to get rid of poverty without eliminating greed. You said this for no apparent reason - maybe to diversify the thread contents with incorrect absolute statements.

I would contend that there is a way to solve the world's problems by implementing a correct rule-set, and being realistic about people's greed. Many of us have come up with Communist Manifestos, but have been unable to prove that their Regime does not result in more carnage and poorness than the already relatively stable capitalist system, which is rational.

The trick is to minimize suffering, using a consistent rule-set and properly implement it, without using Harry Potter technology.

No I said it because of all the pictures of sad starving children I've been shown. The majority of people here think they're going to get rid of that suffering by getting rid of belief. It has been my challenge to show them otherwise, which I have done.
You can put this into your manifesto. What if the billion dollar corporation is not producing goods that people want to buy, or has to compete against another billion dollar corporation? Perhaps one corporation should bow out, and surrender to the other, and then steal all the shareholder wealth, to give it to the employees, so they can be rich for a month, while they look for a new job.

Ok if they're a billion dollar corp. then they're producing goods consumers want. Don't think you thought that one through. How about Walmart, McDonalds, Burger King,etc., or paying $4 a gallon for fuel, while oil industry profits billions. Paying decent wages assures better quality products. You know I get a $250 fine here in NC, for littering. Do you know who's paying for the recent pipeline spill. Not the oil company, tax payers. I could go on and on about the effects of greed. You know rules and regulations got us out of the last depression and thanks to 30 years of greed in Washington all those regulations are almost gone. I suggest you check out "American Greed."

I also see that by not using Harry Potter technology, the world has suffered. We could all be eating magical food, if we just used magic to solve all the problems. Why don't we? I guess it's all due to the arrogance of scientists, who say it can't be done. No end to human folly.

Please don't hesitate to send a copy of your Communist Manifesto to Obama, he will find it a great help.

I have never ever said we should use Harry Potter technology. I have never ever said let's wait around on God, God will fix it. I know enough about the Christian religion to know they don't wait on prayer either. Christians pray for healing more than anything and 99.2% go to the Dr.
I have said quite the opposite, we have to take care of this problem. I will be perfectly happy with a lid on greed. I know eliminating greed all together is an impossible task but there needs to be a shut off valve somewhere!!! I would be happy if we could just get it out of Washington!!!

Thomas Paine

Offline Razel

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #635 on: April 27, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »
No I said it because of all the pictures of sad starving children I've been shown. The majority of people here think they're going to get rid of that suffering by getting rid of belief. It has been my challenge to show them otherwise, which I have done.

If you can show a single post where someone said ridding religion is the solution for world hunger, I'll give you a cookie.

Christians pray for healing more than anything and 99.2% go to the Dr.

2 billion Christians in the world, 0.8% of them don't go to the doctor = 16 million Christians who don't go to the doctor. 
200 million Christians in the US * 0.8% = about 1.6 million Christians who don't go to the doctor in the US.

See how tricky statistics are?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #636 on: April 27, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
Look at it like this JB,

No, god doesnt exist. Therefore I know the version of god youre talking about didnt do let alone write anything. But what I'm confused about is how you believe in this Jesus character without believing the bible since that and the Qu'ran are the only writings that tell you anything about this character. So based on your beliefs you either must believe in the bible, or you are making it up yourself.

And you did say you made up your religion since the gods presented to you would not accept you as you are.

The Bible is a historical document of the Jews history. Jesus is part of that history. I do not believe it to be the Words of God.

No I said, the religions presented to me did not except me the way I am. God has always loved me and you. I do not do religion, I have already been there done that with your friends. Spent 4-5 pages on it. I'm somewhat a pantheistic believer but I don't like to limit myself to 1 point of view. Don't really like holidays, I'll do some Christmas for the children and that's about it.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #637 on: April 27, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »

If you can show a single post where someone said ridding religion is the solution for world hunger, I'll give you a cookie.

Christians pray for healing more than anything and 99.2% go to the Dr.

2 billion Christians in the world, 0.8% of them don't go to the doctor = 16 million Christians who don't go to the doctor. 
200 million Christians in the US * 0.8% = about 1.6 million Christians who don't go to the doctor in the US.

See how tricky statistics are?

It has been said that waiting on prayer keeps things from getting done like getting rid of poverty. If getting rid of belief doesn't solve any problems then it must not be one.

I just shouldn't have used that percentage. I don't know the exact %. I was just trying to make the point that it is a very very very small amount.

Thomas Paine