Author Topic: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing  (Read 22328 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +408/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing
« Reply #551 on: April 24, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »
I think it proves that it's not belief that is at the root of human suffering, so your time might be better spent fighting GREED, the real enemy.  We don't have to agree on beliefs to work together to fight Greed!

Do you think that people will be less inclined to fight greed if they believe that everyone will get what's coming to them in the end via the "judgement"?

No I think people will fight Greed because it causes this:

I have already explained:

I think it's mankind doing the hating. It is mankind's responsibility to change. Mankind needs to learn from the mistakes we make.

I happen to agree with you that it is the result of mankind's negligence. The parents of that child gave birth to him although the land would not support his survival.

[picture of African Child and Vulture]: This has nothing to do with greed. The people surrounding the child were all in a similar state and the cause was the same. They had nothing to give.

The point is, as always, God does nothing. He does nothing either because He is not there or because He does not care.

God has spent eternity doing nothing and continues to do nothing except help people like you find their car-keys or Tim Tebow kick a goal.

Thus we see the harm in religion when things are left to God. When the best anyone can do is "pray" i.e. asking an non-existent being to change the laws of the universe.

You will be aware of various missionary societies, that, when they see something like the African child and vulture, send bibles... can you think of anything more thoughtless and ineffective?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #552 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
You will be aware of various missionary societies, that, when they see something like the African child and vulture, send bibles... can you think of anything more thoughtless and ineffective?

But Greybeard, that's all RELIGION, don't you see?  If only we all believed in Junebug's god, the one who can transmit his wishes without them becoming a religion, everything would be just dandy!

Some callous souls might say there are problems with that - that without evidence that Junebug's god exists or that her views are correct, there is no way of knowing WHICH person's god is right.  Others might say that a religion by its nature HAS to begin as soon as you articulate what god's position is, because how can you serve a god if you do not know how you are supposed to carry out its wishes?

If only everyone just did what Junebug says, and didn't question her, and didn't ask for evidence, and just loved her unconditionally, then everything would be fine and dandy - and if we DON'T do what she says just because she says so, then there will be teeeeeerible consequences.

She reminds me of someone......can't quite think who.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +560/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #553 on: April 24, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »
Hi junebug,

In the future when you link an article, please do not paste the whole article in your post as you did here.  The link and a relevant paragraph are sufficient.  It would also be good if you were familiar enough with the article's content to be able to discuss it in your own words.  Thanks.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +154/-5
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #554 on: April 24, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »
Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit, 18 pages, only to realize that we're arguing a variation of "One True Scotsman."

If a self-professed believer does good, then god beliefs are good.

AND, if a self-professed believer does bad, then it's greed and beliefs do not matter, even if the believer himself cites his beliefs as the reason for his action.

So, tell me, what if it's the same person, doing good things, and bad things, and citing god beliefs for both?

How do you tell the difference?

It seems that jb is more or less playing the "One True Scotsman" card, but in a way I've never quite encountered before. Interesting.

This has not been addressed yet, either directly or indirectly. We're now 1 1/2 pages past it, so I'll just post it again and wait for an explanation....
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +231/-5
  • Ex-rosary squad

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +560/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #556 on: April 24, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »
tell me if this is harm or greed.  Is it caused by god belief? 
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/let-my-people-go-public-education-jewish-separatism-and-school-vouchers/

I suggest you read the NY article linked therein.  It paints a grim picture.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline LVMark

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #557 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
Hello,

For those of you that don't know me, I'm junebug,believer. Nice to meet you. I came to this forum a few months back, don't know why, I typed God in my search engine and this website popped up. So I thought while I'm here I would share my God story with you.  Not to start a new religion but to just simply share.

As long as there is a shred of hope that life after death exists, this is the path I must follow, I long to see my mother again in a land without pain,fear, or sadness.

Do we not owe it to ourselves to give any option that includes eternal existence every opportunity before dismissing it. I owe it to myself I know.

Yes I know that most people here have done just that, but until you've heard every story, mine included, how can the investigation be over.

My Momma always said,"You draw more bees with sugar than vinegar!" :laugh:

There are a lot of "good" people believing in God, will you condemn the righteous along with the unrighteous. Sounds familiar I know, seems appropriate here to remind you that it is what, I thought, you all were suppose to be against, unfairness.

While it would be nice to think that such an entity ("God") exists, and that such a place ("heaven") exists, so that you could be with the family members that you have lost (your mom, dad, grandparents, etc), it would also be nice if Santa Claus existed, bringing presents, etc.

None of us can know for sure.  However, an important question is "is this possible at all?"  Just how much of your time here on earth are you going to spending working on this possibility?  A couple of hours per week getting ready for church, going to church, being at church and then coming home from church?  That adds up to a lot of hours spent here on earth.  What if heaven doesn't exist?  Then you wasted all that time and got nothing for it in return.

What if, as country singer Don Williams said in one of his songs, "I don't believe that heaven waits for only those who congragate?"  Maybe you don't have to go to church every week to get to heaven.  You get all the benefits just by being one of those that only go at Christmas and Easter?  Maybe you don't have to go to church at all.

Kenny Chesney said "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to go right now?"  Why not, if it is such a good place?  Let's all drink the kool-aid and get there tonight!  Nope, most of us don't want to do that.

I would suggest that a study of whether such a place is possible or not is definately in order.  If it is not possible, then don't waste your time here on earth hoping to see your mom again.  Remember her as the person she was, but move on with your life.  Otherwise, you spend a lot of your time here on earth hoping for something that may not exist.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #558 on: April 24, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »

Greed isn't always the source of poverty and greed isn't always the cause of violence. Lets consider 2 religious sects in a country or perhaps 2 different religions in a country, lets say one considers the other one heathens or infidels because each one considers their teachings to be the true teachings of God. Lets say there's war between them and the two sides persecute each other and go out an kill one and another. Attempting to destroy towns, villages and even cities, destroying crops, killing innocents with some innocents having to seek refuge without the ability to properly feed themselves, without a safe place to work because they are caught up in a war over creeds. Instead, if they're not being murdered, they're dying from disease or starvation.

Consider that this type of thing still happens today and in different countries around the world and for different religions. I am trying to figure out where the greed is. I can find quotes in texts like the Bible that would support such actions and I bet I could find some in the Koran as well, but I can't see the greed. There's no intention of taking over land, there's no intention of seizing wealth, merely seeking to wipe out those who aren't true believers. In some cases, like with King Henry VIII you could argue greed, because he stole from the Catholic Church, but I don't think you could make a case for greed in every circumstance, I would argue there are many cases where greed isn't the problem.

For consideration, what if passages like the below were all the inspiration somebody needed?

Quote from: Deuteronomy 13:1
Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles,  and the predicted signs or miracles take place.  If the prophets then say, 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them.  The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul.  Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone.  Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him.  The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt.  Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you.

Quote from: Deuteronomy 18:20
But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.'  You may wonder, 'How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?'  If the prophet predicts something in the LORD's name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message.  That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared.

I made the Greed bold so you could see it good.  All those commands were given because they wanted to be a "great nation."  They manipulated belief to get the people to go along, which wasn't difficult because the people wanted to be a "great nation" as well. So much so they were willing to take the lives of others to achieve it. And why did they want to be a "great nation", because of greed. If you were not a "great nation" you were an enslaved, impoverished nation.

Do you not think that societal preservation is just as important as self preservation?

In essence what you are saying is that God will reward you with greatness if you murder large populations of unbelievers. Greatness so that you may survive in a dog-eat-dog world. The way for your society to survive is to obey God.  In fact, the bible contains a lot of similar situations where God promises you with reward for pleasing him and threatening you with punishments for not pleasing him. In essence, people either obey God so that they may be rewarded or to save their asses from His wrath.  Of course, my other examples are showing instances where God is demanding murder because these people are deemed 'evil' or 'false'. Like God forbids homosexuality because it's an abomination, not because he'll reward or punish you and yet Christians will still preach Leviticus 20:13. There must be some motivation for them to obey God other than greed. Unless you wish to suggest it's only greed, either way, this is making belief in God look really bad.

It wouldn't be too far of a stretch of the imagination for somebody to think that they're be pleasing God by committing such horrific acts, in fact people have.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #559 on: April 24, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
Seems I've fallen behind again. I'm on page 18 and I can't wait to hear all your replies. I'll get to them quick as I can. Been a very busy week.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #560 on: April 24, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
junebug, you have gotten very defensive and even hostile in response to (what seem to me) straightforward questions and comments. I take medication for depression and anxiety, and see a therapist. Having mental issues does not make you "crazy" or a bad person.[1] It just is what it is. Like, I also have athritis-- does that make me a bad person?

Sometimes it is hard to interpret comments on the internet, because there is no inflection or facial expression-- and some people just don't express themselves well in writing. Is a post trying to be serious, or silly? Sarcastic or innocent? Hard to tell from the words on the screen.

I try to err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt. I take comments as straightforward and try not to read ulterior motives into them. Unless the person is really trying to get to me-- then I have fun getting sarcastic or silly back.

Now, people are trying to get you to clarify whether you think belief [in god] is a good thing or not. You have said that people do what they will, even when they believe in god. This implies that it does not really matter if they believe in god or not. Some people will be bad and greedy, some will be nice and generous. God does not have any control over what people do. Is that what you mean by "free will"?

The other point is the role god plays in the universe overall. Does [according to your belief] an all-powerful god keep the planet running, intervene in nature so the plants grow, the rain falls, etc?  Or did god create everything billions of years ago, and now just kinda kicks back and lets things happen, like the deists think? Does god do anything that actually affects everyday human life, like directly help people in trouble? Or is it that the belief in god, heaven, etc. in itself is enough to give people the strength to overcome adversity?

This matters to the discussion, because if you think that god actively does stuff, it would be great if you can explain how that happens and how we can tell. If it is only the belief in god that sustains people, then people could believe in anything at all, as long as it helps them cope. It does not have to be true at all. I could believe in Santa Claus or Satan or the spirit of the ancestors or Batman or Yoda. As long as it gets me through the day, as long as it works.
 1. Unless you do something like blow up a marathon full of people. :o

If someone close to me had asked me the same question I would have had a very different response.

My,my lot of questions, I don't mind just saying, it's a lot.

I think belief is a good thing.

That's right you understand free will now. Free will is all or nothing. You just can't have it both ways.

I can only imagine what God is doing. I'm not in Heaven yet! You have to earn the right to such knowledge, surely?  We can't all just be walking around with the knowledge of the universe.

I think God communicates through thought; not to control them but to shine a little light in the right direction.  You don't have to listen but it's there. You have to chose right from wrong. Sometimes it's as plain as the nose on your face, other times it's more complicated but in my experience when I listen to God things just turn out better.

This earth is perfect it supplies everything we need and then some.  Seems "if" God made a mistake it was making us.
Thomas Paine
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #561 on: April 24, 2013, 08:17:11 PM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/23/17878924-second-child-of-faith-healing-couple-dies-after-no-medical-care?lite

Why don't you ask the dead children what they think about faith in God being a bad thing? 

Oh right.  You can't.  Because they're fucking dead. 

Belief in God is a net BAD for the world.  Just because some people get good things out of it doesn't outweigh the bad things.  Surviving cancer can be an incredibly positive life changing experience, but given how many people it kills, wouldn't you rather get rid of it instead?

Belief doesn't cause poverty, greed does. Belief does not cause cancer. What bad thing does belief do? Belief is as natural as breathing.

May their spirits fly with the Angels.
Thomas Paine

Online Star Stuff

• Darwins +128/-1
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #562 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
Meh.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think I speak for most of us on this thread when I say that junebug, you've worn me out.  Your inability to look critically at yourself and your precious beliefs has become exhausting.

Never argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.  (Mark Twain)
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #563 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
Thanks you guys have inspired me to follow my original career choice. I am going to master psychology.

How many hours of watching "science shows" on the history and discovery networks do you think it will take you to do that?

^ see, that was a plainly written jab at your pedestrian and flaky dim-wittedness.

I'd just feel bad if I read you wrong, and you had some sort of illness which causes intrusive thoughts and a general departure from reality. I'm satisfied that you're just not a person who values critical thought, reason, or any of the hard work that leads to a reality/fact-based understanding of things. That's fine.

But, now, I wonder why you're in a place where people do require those sorts of parameters to thought in dealing with the subject of discussion. You came to a gun-fight with a water balloon, calling it an apache attack helicopter only leads to the ridicule that will likely ensue.

I feel so sorry for you. I pray for you the hardest.

I don't like guns.  ;)
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #564 on: April 24, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/23/17878924-second-child-of-faith-healing-couple-dies-after-no-medical-care?lite

Why don't you ask the dead children what they think about faith in God being a bad thing? 

Oh right.  You can't.  Because they're fucking dead. 

Belief in God is a net BAD for the world.  Just because some people get good things out of it doesn't outweigh the bad things.  Surviving cancer can be an incredibly positive life changing experience, but given how many people it kills, wouldn't you rather get rid of it instead?

Maybe I should start linking to atricles which document the times when believers take their kids to hospital or the doctor.

Except I can't, because of course they're so common place that they aren't exactly news.

Exceptional stories make the news.

That's a religion. Some people care more about their "religion" than they care about God and that's just how it is. Plus they have fears that motivate that behavior. Fear is a bad thing.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #565 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »
Junebug,why do religious people do things that are contrary to the commands of their God? If believing was a good thing,we could use all people who believed in BibleGod as a shining example of how to treat others. But believers for the most part are not a shining example of how others should be treated.

Believers have no real interest in others,only of the perceived reward from BibleGod at the end of their life,that is their main goal and interest.

If it were the God of the Jews without an afterlife would you still even be a believer?

You just can't put that many people in such a tiny box, it just don't fit.

I don't think it's physically possible for me not to be a believer in God. I don't believe in religion, religion was designed to manipulate that natural explanation of life.

I don't think there is any need for money and wealth in Heaven. Does sound a bit Greed motivated doesn't it. Nope money is the last thing I want to see when I cross the Pearly Gates.
Thomas Paine

Online Star Stuff

• Darwins +128/-1
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #566 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #567 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
mm, as you can clearly see, jb has been insisting for pages and pages that "belief is not the problem, greed is the problem." JeffPT provided yet another example negating that statement. Can't blame greed for this, so jb can keep her head in the sand, or she can accept the evidence that belief in God can and does drive some people to do awful, awful things. And sometimes other people, who did not have any choice in the matter, die as a result of those awful things. Because of god beliefs imposed on them by other people, people who had parental responsibility for the victims in this instance.

It may be the exception, but so what?

Well I don't know Greed did create the society that spawned this sad story.

Rest In Peace Little One :'( :'( :'(
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #568 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
I'm working on it, I promise I am.  ;)
Thomas Paine

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #569 on: April 24, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Meh.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think I speak for most of us on this thread when I say that junebug, you've worn me out.  Your inability to look critically at yourself and your precious beliefs has become exhausting.

Never argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.  (Mark Twain)
You speak for me even though I haven't been a contributor.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:49:40 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Add Homonym

• Reader
  • Darwins +185/-2
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #570 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »
Actually, you see what she's done, here, guys. It's quite clever.

She's defined "Belief", "God", "Bad", and "Thing" in whatever way she wants.

I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #571 on: April 25, 2013, 05:42:22 AM »
Maybe I should start linking to atricles which document the times when believers take their kids to hospital or the doctor.

If you'd like to make a counter point, you'd have to link an article that documents an atheist family rejecting hospital care for their sick child.  Good luck with that. 

The default position in modern society is that when a child is sick, you bring them to the hospital.  That action has a large statistical benefit to survival.  My point was that a certain type of God belief can and does sometimes make people NOT bring their children to the hospital when they're sick.  If they didn't believe in God, that wouldn't happen. 

Long story short... Christians and atheists and everything in between can bring their children to the hospital when they're sick but ONLY a Christian who believes certain things about God would choose not to.  How many times has that led to death?  A lot I bet.  That's just one reason why religion is a net bad for the world.  There are millions of others, including a picture my wife saw earlier tonight showing one of the Boston bombers smirking as he placed a bomb right behind that nice family who's child was killed by the blast. 

There is nothing inherently good that you can say/do/get from being a Christian that you can't say/do/get as a non-Christian.  Not a single thing.  If that was where it stopped, and there was nothing bad about God belief, then it would be completely neutral for the world.   But because there are a whole slew of bad things that you can say/do/get ONLY if you're a Christian, it's a net bad for the world.

Doing a bunch of good things as Christians that people non-Christians also do regularly doesn't make up for the bad stuff.     

That is very rare and may have something to do with the constant challenge to produce God. Anyway it's poverty that motivates these inhumane decisions and greed is responsible for poverty. Greed is responsible for bad religion.  I can understand you don't believe in God, to each their own, but why oh why you can not just admit that greed is responsible not belief is just beyond me. Seems you're not as concerned about the truth as I thought. You're hatred for belief blinds you from the truth.
Thomas Paine

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #572 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:18 AM »

I feel so sorry for you. I pray for you the hardest.

mwaaahhh. 

My Christian Vocab dictionary translates this to: "I hate you. I will talk to myself about you"
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #573 on: April 25, 2013, 06:10:35 AM »
That is very rare and may have something to do with the constant challenge to produce God. Anyway it's poverty that motivates these inhumane decisions and greed is responsible for poverty. Greed is responsible for bad religion.  I can understand you don't believe in God, to each their own, but why oh why you can not just admit that greed is responsible not belief is just beyond me. Seems you're not as concerned about the truth as I thought. You're hatred for belief blinds you from the truth.
greed does not account for the parents' BELIEFS stopping them from taking their children to a hospital, instead relying on prayers (unanswered by the way), and the subsequent death of the children.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #574 on: April 25, 2013, 06:10:47 AM »
Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit, 18 pages, only to realize that we're arguing a variation of "One True Scotsman."

If a self-professed believer does good, then god beliefs are good.

AND, if a self-professed believer does bad, then it's greed and beliefs do not matter, even if the believer himself cites his beliefs as the reason for his action.

So, tell me, what if it's the same person, doing good things, and bad things, and citing god beliefs for both?

How do you tell the difference?

It seems that jb is more or less playing the "One True Scotsman" card, but in a way I've never quite encountered before. Interesting.

How do you be something you have never heard of? I'm not playing anything. I don't consider this a game at all. This is important to me now.  You blame belief for all the problems in the world and it's just not so. I would say I agree if it was so. I'm pretty sure that Atheists are a heavy influence on 75% of FSTV and Link. This is where my suspicion of greed as the culprit was confirmed documentary after documentary;"American Greed", "Shadows of Liberty", "The Koch Brothers". I would know it whether or not I believe in God and you should too. There wouldn't be religion if not for greed.

Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #575 on: April 25, 2013, 06:23:18 AM »
So desperate. Bring on your shrinks.

Because people without predjudice against mental illness ALWAYS use the word "shrinks".

Every word you type makes your predjudice clearer.

Make stuff up it doesn't help you disprove my statement that "belief is not a bad thing." I guess you don't care how desperate you appear. That is up to you.
Thomas Paine

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #576 on: April 25, 2013, 06:26:44 AM »
I wouldn't say greed is responsible for all, or faith is responsible for all. But I'd say they are 2 big players and sometimes they are related to one and another.  Belief can be a very bad thing, I don't think it should in anyway be an invalidation of your own beliefs or even suggest your own beliefs are bad. Of course, as a non-believer I'm going to see them as invalid and somebody who's scientifically minded I'm going to find it very difficult to find validation in your claims. But I am sure we can come to the agreement that belief has been responsible in many highly tragic situations and that also greed can play a big role too, but neither are the 'source of all evil'. Unless of course, you wish to suggest to have faith one needs to have greed.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #577 on: April 25, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »
Look at it like this JB,

You stated earlier in another thread that you made up your religion because the god of these other religions would not accept you for who you are. Now, the people that believe in that god (ironically the same god you believe in still) also dont accept you for who you are based on what that god has written down in his autobiography (the bible). But somehow you cannot grasp how belief is bad? When you have already expressed how it IS bad? Color me confused with a large crayon.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #578 on: April 25, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »
Junebug, how can belief in God not be a bad thing in any way whatsoever? Surely people who do bad things in the name of God do so as a result of a belief in God. Or are you going to pull a No True Scotsman on that and try to vainly argue that no one who "really" believes in God can do bad things?

You know when I first made the decision that there has to be a source of a Powerful Intelligence and Skill, I was a nonbeliever for 8-9 years, involved with our existence I didn't change overnight.  It has taken many years to get to where I am now and I'm still learning. When I make a decision concerning God's will, when I'm trying to figure it out, I ask myself, what would a God that Loves us do?

I will say again that bad religion is a direct consequence of greed. Greed is the enemy not belief.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-76
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #579 on: April 25, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
Oh this is so childish. It's just another desperate attempt to rattle my cage. I see this for what it is. You know I have no prejudice against mental illness.

No Junebug, I DON'T know that.  Someone asked if you had a mental illness.  You responded with by saying the question was insulting.  By using the word "crazy" (itself a predjudicial term).  Calling someone a jerk for even venturing to ask the question.

Much as you hate to admit it, you ARE displaying all the signs of predjudice.  Ask yourself what your reaction would have been if you had been asked "are you in a wheelchair?" or "do you have problems with your vision"? 

Are you expecting us to believe that if Pony had asked you "do you have any problems with your vision?", you would have responded with:

"First of all I do not have vision problems. I have perfect vision. Insulting comments make you look like a jerk no matter who the recipient is; it's just worse when it is directed at someone who is ill, which I am not. .....Oh yea don't call me blind again!!! Name calling is for CHILDREN!!!"

You have massively overreacted to a legitimate question made with your interests at heart.  Such a colossal reaction usually only comes when someone is accused of being or having something that they have a very deep-seated predjudice against.

So no: I don't believe you have no predjudice against mental illness.  Merely using the term "crazy" means you are prejudiced, let alone all the other stuff.  People with mental illness AREN'T crazy, Junebug.  I'd have thought that someone so touchy-feely and in tune with not wanting to insult other people as yourself would have known that.
The only thing I'm prejudice against is prejudice and greed. If you knew me you would know this. It doesn't even make sense to say I'm touchy-feely and prejudice at the same time. You should get that checked out.

Super dodge, Junebug.  You seem to make a habit of avoiding the questions and trying to brush them off with a simple "no it isn't" or "no I'm not".

The point is that you CLAIM to be extremely touchy-feely and in tune with things and not wanting to hurt anyone - but when we hit the right triggers you reveal that you are NOT as lovesy-dovesy as you claim.  Its just another example of how you switch roles at the drop of a hat.

But go ahead, Junebug - please explain how someone as unpredjudiced and unwilling to cause offence as yourself would use such terms as you did?

A perfect example of how anger can cloud your judgement. I'm trying real hard to have patience with this nonsense because that's what it is.  I have ideas you don't agree with and you can't prove me wrong so you use this ancient tactic to distract, only person dodging around here is you my friend, you. The only person demeaning the mentally ill is you and pony and anybody else that wants to "go there".  This is so immature it hardly deserves a response.
Thomas Paine