Author Topic: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing  (Read 44926 times)

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
Baseless to you star, baseless to you, baseless to you star, baseless to you

No, the vast majority of your statements are fully baseless, supernatural assertions, offered up without a shred of evidence.  You're so used to doing it that you're don't seem to be aware of what you're doing.  It's a habit, and it's a bad one.

Your statements would be less bankrupt and less painful to us reading them if you would at least preface your baseless assertions by saying something like "I believe that God is this, or God is that", instead of "God is" as though you know it to be so when you clearly don't and can't.

...and it would explain more if you would put your anger away and start listening.

a) I'm not angry.  What does cause me to possibly appear angry is when people like you make truckloads of baseless assertions with that cock-sure attitude.  You love the facade of the airy-fairy lovey-dovey can't-we-all-just-get-along pap, but it's meerly a veneer for your utter arrogance that you think you know something when you don't.  You believe it.  You have faith; and only lies require faith.

b) Listening.  There's a good example of your arrogance in disguise.  You're asking me - a 50 something yr old individual who was born & raised in Christianity - complete with church summer camps, youth groups, witnessing, prayer meetings, bible studies, being baptized etc etc, and having read more books on the subject than you can imagine, and having intensely looked very very carefully at this topic in a critical and intellectually honest manner for the last 7 years, including well over 12,000 post in this and other forums..........all to have you waltz in and smugly suggest that I haven't been listening?!!!

I've been listening to you quite attentively, and frankly, I've been biting my tongue so much I think it's swollen.  You seem to be under the illusion that being kind & sweet is all that matters, and that somehow that'll lead us to truth & understanding, when all it does is keep some people (like you) in a fog of delusional BELIEFS.

I'm really sorry you feel that way star.

So the world wouldn't be a better place if people were kind? If people really did unto others as they would have done to them, that would be  a bad thing? No it would not be a bad thing because nobody wants bad things to happen to them, so they wouldn't do bad things to others. That's why I keep saying greed is mankinds strongest enemy, greed is the ultimate enemy. Greed creates these desperate people and desperate people do desperate things. Lonely isolated people, hurt people they do bad things,  when I say bad, I mean bad,bad. Second to that is ego, everybody has to be right, everybody wants to be the richest, the fastest, the strongest, the smartest and yes people like that do enrich our world, but they should be humble about it and not mock someone that isn't as...

Another point I want to make about God belief and I'm going to defend a couple of Christian attributes here but if they didn't have that religion to keep their "spirits"up with scriptures like the parable of the rich man, they would not have any spirit left. They find joy without money and try to be thankful for the free things God gives and not worry so much about the things man's money buys.

I'm sure you are a very wise person for all your hard work, I've worked hard too. I've been in the gutters of life, I've paid my dues, i'm not that much younger than you, 40 something, and we'll leave it at that.

I'll get back tomorrow got to get some shut eye. Good nite all!
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:36 AM »
Junebug, kindness and the Golden Rule belong to humanity... Not to gods.  I don't think that we have to have moral sensibilities supernaturally inserted into our psyches before we can do the right thing; I think that we learn such behaviour in our early years, from our parents and other caregivers.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2013, 02:22:51 AM »
I note you ducked out of the other thread when things got too hard for you.  Sorry, but you are NOT going to be allowed to dodge and prevaricate, not when you keep making assertions of fact.

And you are still not actually giving any evidence.  I wonder why that is?  Could it be because you know you actually have none?

JB, you are failing in a few areas...

A) showing that your "god" actually exists

A]I have given you my personal testimony

So what?  MY personal testimony is "god does not exist".  John Johnson believes that all the good things that ever happen to him are caused by the mystical powers of his magical talking sock.  Do you actually have anything that an impartial observer would weigh as better evidence than mine?  Better that John's?

.....you have chosen to turn up here and say "THIS is truth, THIS is fact, THIS is the way the universe is".  And if you are going to do that, you need to explain very clearly, with evidence, why we should take the slightest bit of notice of anything you say.

.....so stop with the mystical arm-waving - you may get away with that with your friends, but it won't wash here.  Start backing up your assertions, and let's see one single shred of evidence for anything you've said here.

Just want to say to the one that said I dodged the other post, that's just not my intention, at all.

Glad to hear it!

Nobody's dodging or prevaricating Anf. I'm right here. It takes a long time to answer all these questions.

I'm giving you my word, I will take a lie detector test if that will help, that God has helped me in my life.....<snip>

And oh dear.  Yet another dodge, and a total failure to answer the question.

See all those words in bold in my question?  EVIDENCE

I'm not denying that your belief there is a god has helped you.  I'm sure it has.  John's belief in his magical talking sock helped him too.  And you have gicen us exactly the same amount of evidence as John has.

Last chance Junebug, before I go all mod on you for dodging questions.  You have made repeated assertions of fact about your god.  Now is the time to provide evidence for those facts..
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:48 AM »
Whoah - way to dodge the questions!  Seems to be a common theme with you Junebug.  I note you ducked out of the other thread when things got too hard for you.  Sorry, but you are NOT going to be allowed to dodge and prevaricate, not when you keep making assertions of fact.

I just wanted to let you know I checked out that other thread and I don't see what you're problem with me leaving that conversation is. I answered all the difficult questions. That thread inspired me to start this one.

Let's take any significant experience in your life, let someone tell you it's not a fact that it happened. Would that make you feel good, or would you think that person was arrogant to say that you don't know what has happened in your own life. Since when has a person's honest account of their own life not a fact? I'm not making this stuff up. God really exists in my life. God has helped me. God has comforted me.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
I'm giving you my word, I will take a lie detector test if that will help, that God has helped me in my life.

Lie detector tests are notoriously unreliable.  However, even if they were 100% accurate, it would make no difference.  If you believed you were telling the truth, the test would report that you were telling the truth, even if you were honestly mistaken, as people sometimes are.  If you were to administer such a test to a Birther, for example, and you asked him whether Obama was born in Kenya, the machine would report that the Birther was telling the truth when he said "yes".
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »
Whoah - way to dodge the questions!  ..... Sorry, but you are NOT going to be allowed to dodge and prevaricate, not when you keep making assertions of fact.

Let's take any significant experience in your life,......

And yet another dodge.  This is getting very tiresome.  Do you have any EVIDENCE of any claim you have made about your alleged god?

- - - - -

Let's take any significant experience in your life, let someone tell you it's not a fact that it happened. Would that make you feel good, or would you think that person was arrogant to say that you don't know what has happened in your own life. Since when has a person's honest account of their own life not a fact?

Fine.  So you agree that everything that John Johnson attributes to his magical talking sock really happened?  Because thus far there is NOTHING you have said that makes your claims any more reasonable than his.  Indeed, his claims are slightly MORE believable: I can actually see the sock if I want to.

EVIDENCE, Dodgebug.

God really exists in my life. God has helped me. God has comforted me.

I repeat: EVIDENCE, Dodgebug. 

And stop being disingenuous, as well.  We are NOT just talking about your happy little claims of being comforted by some mystical woo-force.  You've made specific and definite claims about this alleged being, assertions about afterlife, about creation, about its desires and abilities and actions - and without being prepared to offer a shred of evidence for any of them.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »

What does "no spirit" mean or look like?  This "spirit" word leads you down a road of fantasy and baseless assertions.  Your thinking is so highly flawed.

Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight.

This is what we in the civilised world call "will power" or "self-discipline." It is also related to stubbornness. Once physical energy is used up, there is no more energy[1]. All people have some "will power" or "self-discipline", but some have more than others[2]. It is not related to invisible sky-pixies.
 1. You need to know what energy is, how it is created and how it is used. Why not go to a library or look on the net?
 2. which is why we are not all athletes, soldiers, etc.

Spirit is life itself, that's why it can not die. Don't you feel your own spirit? The real you, under all that skin. Look past what you see in the mirror, that's your spirit!
Thomas Paine

Online Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »
I'm really sorry you feel that way Star.

So the world wouldn't be a better place if people were kind? If people really did unto others as they would have done to them, that would be a bad thing? No it would not be a bad thing because nobody wants bad things to happen to them, so they wouldn't do bad things to others. That's why I keep saying greed is man kinds strongest enemy, greed is the ultimate enemy. Greed creates these desperate people and desperate people do desperate things. Lonely isolated people, hurt people they do bad things,  when I say bad, I mean bad, bad. Second to that is ego, everybody has to be right, everybody wants to be the richest, the fastest, the strongest, the smartest and yes people like that do enrich our world, but they should be humble about it and not mock someone that isn't as...

Another point I want to make about God belief and I'm going to defend a couple of Christian attributes here but if they didn't have that religion to keep their "spirits" up with scriptures like the parable of the rich man, they would not have any spirit left. They find joy without money and try to be thankful for the free things God gives and not worry so much about the things man's money buys.

WTF???!!!  Did you even read my post?  What you're now rambling on about has NOTHING to do with what I said!  Do you have the ability to focus on anything?  I agree with you about having our moral compass pointed in a kind, loving, compassionate direction, but god belief is not required.  I have a challenge for you:

List one moral action, or kind thing said by a god-believer that could not be done or said by a non believer in gods.

In case you don't understand that, here's a picture for you.  For our exercise, the man in the photo is an atheist:

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »
I just wanted to throw that out there for clarity.  I will say that it still seems possible to be an avid fan of science but still come away with a misunderstanding of the theory of evolution.

Hmm, her last post does seem to confirm this.

I will say that, at a minimum, it strikes me as incongruent to say that you enjoy some aspects of science, while dismissing other aspects as "fish turning into humans".

Aaron I can't believe you're still using that phrase against me. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time defending a comparative; not literal, statement.  And really I haven't seen a fish turn human have you? That is literally. I haven't, I haven't seen a fish turn human. Saw a fish fly one time, never seen a fish turn human. If I had you wouldn't believe me anyway because I wouldn't have any evidence!  If I said, you guys aren't going to believe what happened yesterday, I saw a fish turn human, you'd say I was crazy! Seems I'm caught between a rock and a hard place with you.

I really hope we can move past this now and get the conversation back on track; Believing in God is not a Bad Thing.
Thomas Paine

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight. 

If you run out of physical energy, you drop dead, regardless of how much "spirit energy" you have.

The "spirit" does not die, IMO. You must shed the physical body to set your "spirit" free!
Thomas Paine

Online Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:03 AM »
The "spirit" does not die, IMO. You must shed the physical body to set your "spirit" free!

Yet another baseless, supernatural assertion.

Junebug72, you need to cease this terrible habit.  As I said earlier, at least say "I believe..." before such wild statements, and then follow with evidence for your claims & assertions.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »

Yet another baseless, supernatural assertion.

Junebug72, you need to cease this terrible habit.  As I said earlier, at least say "I believe..." before such wild statements, and then follow with evidence for your claims & assertions.

Dodgebug apparently believes that if you wear the magical talking socks of John Johnson it will increase your spirit tenfold.  I have no idea where she gets these ideas from, they sound ridiculous to me, but I guess it must have happened - Dodgebug put on the magical socks, and she was immediately filled with their power.  Don't ask how, just believe her.  The Magical Socks are Real.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +434/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
I would also rather believe that life is eternal.  Any idea how much bearing our desire for such an outcome has on the reality of that outcome?

Awful bad waste of space if it has no bearing on our future free of our physical form. Who knows what's behind death's mysterious door, but I'm going to be ready for anything! If you're right and I'm wrong I haven't lost anything, My belief in God made my life complete, I didn't sacrifice anything. I've lived my life to make me happy, not stepping on others to get there,it made my life good. If I'm right and you're wrong well I guess you get to come back and try again.
I recommend that you Google for Pascal's Wager.

And where did the 'guess I get to come back and try again' bit come from?  I do not subscribe to reincarnation.
Who knows? Who really knows? I believe in being prepared. That's just the way I am.
If everything about what you are preparing for is an unknown, in what manner do you actually prepare?
I understand evolution just fine and I wonder at God's amazing intelligence. I also have a lot of respect for the minds that figure this stuff out. They are so smart.
Your 'never seeing a fish turn to a human' comment from earlier in this thread had suggested otherwise, which segues nicely...

Aaron I can't believe you're still using that phrase against me. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time defending a comparative; not literal, statement.  And really I haven't seen a fish turn human have you? That is literally. I haven't, I haven't seen a fish turn human. Saw a fish fly one time, never seen a fish turn human. If I had you wouldn't believe me anyway because I wouldn't have any evidence!  If I said, you guys aren't going to believe what happened yesterday, I saw a fish turn human, you'd say I was crazy! Seems I'm caught between a rock and a hard place with you.

I really hope we can move past this now and get the conversation back on track; Believing in God is not a Bad Thing.
So I guess I'm just confused, so please clarify:
If the theory of evolution is true, would you expect to ever see a fish turn into a human?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »
I understand evolution just fine .....

Really?  But YOU said.....

The explosion, huh? Evolved from monkeys?  .....  How could an explosion create a body that is so complex.  ..... If we evolved from monkeys why are they still here? And how does that explain different races?

That bit in bold is a classically ignorant question that demonstrates the person asking it does not have the faintest idea about what evolution is. 

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »
Spirit is life itself, that's why it can not die. Don't you feel your own spirit? The real you, under all that skin. Look past what you see in the mirror, that's your spirit!

No it isn't. Life is life it's self.
I am aware[1]. I understand that awareness is a profound state of being but do not attribute this to a supernatural force. 
Instead I am in awe of, for want of a better word, nature.

I believe my existence is due to millions of years of trial and error[2]

A belief in god would undermine my awe of life. That we can and do exist in a capricious universe, to me is more marvellous than living in a gods kindergarten.

1. I think I am anyway
 2. and the fact that I once beat 40 million+ other competitors in the most important swimming competition in my life

Offline Razel

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »
Believing in God is not a Bad Thing.

That may be true, but you're not an example of that.

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
There are three kinds of people: those who seek the truth as revealed by a higher authority; those who seek the truth as defined by rational enquiry; and the vast majority, who believe whatever they find convenient.
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,7594.0.html

The quote above is but a single gem among the many that Star Stuff posts (once daily) on the thread above.

jb, if I seek out a good primer on evolution, will you read it? I'm willing to spend the time seeking out an appropriate one, but only if you are interested enough to give it a try. I'm trying hard to understand you, will you try to do the same?

Edit: my spelling is fine, but my typing could use some work...

I believe I have been rational Jag. Life is a mystery. If I wasn't a rational thinker I would have not seen the contradictions of religion and still believe the earth and all that is was created in 6 days.  That is because I have not dismissed scientific discoveries but rather embrace the knowledge. I see it as a blessing from God. If you truly wish to understand me you have to give up the idea that I'm scientifically illiterate.

It would be arrogant of me to say I know you, but I will reveal to you what I understand about you, about Atheist. You're angry with man's representation of God. You do not understand why God didn't create us with godly powers. Look at what man has accomplished w/o them, for the good and the bad, could you imagine that on a scale of godly proportions.  I see life as a right of passage into deserving that kind of knowledge and freedom!

I think that you care a lot about the world we live in and that's why you're so frustrated with religion. I'm saying it's better to Love and understand them, rather than being frustrated or angry. That those emotions cloud our judgement and it's not the path to rational thinking. Those are the exact same emotions that create chaos.

Google want let me misspell a word. I just mispelled misspell.lol ;D

By the way I'd be more than happy to check out any new breakthroughs, but I don't care to be re-schooled on evolution. I know it and understand it.

Thomas Paine

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +434/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
By the way I'd be more than happy to check out any new breakthroughs, but I don't care to be re-schooled on evolution. I know it and understand it.
Junebug72, based on what I saw from Anfauglir's post where you are quoted as saying:
The explosion, huh? Evolved from monkeys?  .....  How could an explosion create a body that is so complex.  ..... If we evolved from monkeys why are they still here? And how does that explain different races?
Between that and the 'fish to human' thing, it would seem that you do not know and do not understand the theory of evolution.  To be clear: I am not saying that you are lying when you say that you understand evolution.  I am saying that you are mistaken when you say that.

If that quote of yours no longer applies, and the 'fish to human' thing does not represent how you understand evolution, well then disregard.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »

jb, do you see that in the alternative I propose,  this is a repeating cycle, not a single event? This isn't the first version of a universe, it's just the current one. This is how I understand the very difficult concept of eternity - the only thing that is actually eternal is the matter that makes up everything in the universe. The forms it assembles into each time the cycle completes are beyond my abilities to even speculate about, I'm just not that knowledgeable about physics.

Cool concept, innit?  ;D

I didn't say I don't believe in black holes, what I said was How protected I feel from those black holes because I believe God protects us from them. An example of God's Love.

That is a very deep concept. Even in this scenario the matter that is "us" is transposed into something else, it continues.  Our spirit is more than just matter. But yea that really is a mind boggling challenge.
Thomas Paine

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »
^^^Good for you, glad to hear it!

I'm a (middle-aged) college student myself and find a great deal of satisfaction in learning. If I could figure out how to support myself while doing so, I'd go to school and study everything under the sun for the rest of my life. Since that's not an option, I decided to save the world instead.  ;)

Wish me luck!

Good luck Jag. I'm with you on that one. I wish I could spend my life doing the same thing. I guess that's why people say to use your time wisely. Speaking of, I got to get some housework done today. Looks like a tornado hit this place. 

I'm very lucky to have a loving partner, and I hope to find employment soon. There's no way I could get by on unemployment living alone. Online courses really makes learning more convenient.
Thomas Paine

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »

I didn't say I don't believe in black holes, what I said was How protected I feel from those black holes because I believe God protects us from them. An example of God's Love.

I'm sorry I don't really understand this. If god is protecting you from black holes is he also protecting you from say gunfire.
What happens if you get shot or the earth slips into a black hole? Is that when god stopped protecting you?
Why would he do that?

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
Junebug, kindness and the Golden Rule belong to humanity... Not to gods.  I don't think that we have to have moral sensibilities supernaturally inserted into our psyches before we can do the right thing; I think that we learn such behaviour in our early years, from our parents and other caregivers.

Hey Astre, so what makes some people choose to turn bad experiences into strength and wisdom, and others turn  it into violence and hatred? If it belonged to mankind we would all possess it. It would be imbedded into our DNA as a species. 
Thomas Paine

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »
Based on JB's last 8-10 posts, I'm calling Poe.
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
Hey Astre, so what makes some people choose to turn bad experiences into strength and wisdom, and others turn  it into violence and hatred?

Differences in upbringing and personal experiences.

If it belonged to mankind we would all possess it. It would be imbedded into our DNA as a species.

Behaviours do not code to DNA, although differences in endocrine responses and brain structure can probably be inherited.  These things inform behaviour through resilience to stressors, and the severity of the fight-or-flight response.  The rest of our behavioural differences are cultural/environmental, as traits like narcissism and psychopathy develop in early childhood.

I re-assert that gods have nothing whatsoever to do with the way humans behave, and that it is 100% biological and cultural in origin.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +197/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »

jb, do you see that in the alternative I propose,  this is a repeating cycle, not a single event? This isn't the first version of a universe, it's just the current one. This is how I understand the very difficult concept of eternity - the only thing that is actually eternal is the matter that makes up everything in the universe. The forms it assembles into each time the cycle completes are beyond my abilities to even speculate about, I'm just not that knowledgeable about physics.

Cool concept, innit?  ;D

I didn't say I don't believe in black holes,

Apologies. That specific reference to uncertainty about black holes was directed to to the original poster for whom I wrote the post. I should have proofed better before re-posting here and removed that - my bad.

"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:17 AM »
I'm giving you my word, I will take a lie detector test if that will help, that God has helped me in my life.

Lie detector tests are notoriously unreliable.  However, even if they were 100% accurate, it would make no difference.  If you believed you were telling the truth, the test would report that you were telling the truth, even if you were honestly mistaken, as people sometimes are.  If you were to administer such a test to a Birther, for example, and you asked him whether Obama was born in Kenya, the machine would report that the Birther was telling the truth when he said "yes".

I know I'm telling the truth. Does that count for anything here? The truth being; faith in God helps me to understand life, purpose. That belief in and of itself is not a bad thing. 
Thomas Paine

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
Believing in God is not a Bad Thing.

That may be true, but you're not an example of that.

Why is that? My belief done something to hurt you or someone you know or someone you don't know. What an unfounded thing to say.
Thomas Paine

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »

I'm sorry I don't really understand this. If god is protecting you from black holes is he also protecting you from say gunfire.
What happens if you get shot or the earth slips into a black hole? Is that when god stopped protecting you?
Why would he do that?

God does not control man. The earth has not slipped into a black hole. I would hope to forgive the person that shot me and feel compassion for the circumstances in his/her life that brought them to such desperate behaviour.
Thomas Paine

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-90
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »
Well I'm off to get some chores done. I will get back later.

Have a good day all.
Thomas Paine