Author Topic: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing  (Read 32993 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Re: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing
« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »

You didn't witness a deity creating the universe or this planet.  We know how this planet formed, and we know that for the first 1 BILLION years (that's a thousand million), it was a nasty, hostile place inhospitable to life.  We know that about 3.5 BILLION years ago, life cooked up in a most simple biochemical way, and has evolved to where we are now.  ALL of the evidence (and there's mountains of it) supports this.

I have not said I eyewitnessed creation. The substance of my evidence is of a personal nature that you can refer back to in earlier posts.

Please watch:

Twinkle,Twinkle, Starry Skies, Thanks for all the videos you've posted for me. I'm sorry to say I have limited data, and must prioritize its use. I'm happy to read a lot, so if you have any readable material I'll try to check that out.

I just want, and ask of you please, to keep in mind that I DO keep up with what's going on in the scientific community. I watched 2-3 min. of that one video, you know, how it began for idiots, and I've seen much more eloquent depictions on national g., science channel, history channel, etc..and it always confirms God's love for us. He gave us photosynthesis, atmosphere, moon, trees, water, so much more that is necessary for our survival. It displays the Awesome Power of God.

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Razel

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
He gave us photosynthesis, atmosphere, moon, trees, water, so much more that is necessary for our survival. It displays the Awesome Power of God.

Wrong.  If God created us, then these things are only necessary for our survival because he created us this way.  It's possible for God to create us in a way such that these things aren't necessary for our survival.  Would have been nice if we didn't require food or water.  That would solve the whole "world hunger" problem.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »

Have you ever asked god why he built the eye in such a cack-handed way, with its backwards retina and nerve fibres running in front of the photoreceptors to create a blind spot?  HE got it right with squid, why screw it up for humans?  Next time you are helping deal with a detached retina, just remember that had god not screwed up the design of the eye, that person would still have their sight.

Our flesh is our temporary home, like the womb for our spirit to learn and grow. Flesh is not perfect, it fails, it goes blind,hungers,gets cancer,it dies. The spirit however, it can not be said with any certainty what happens to the spirit. I would rather believe it is recycled back into life,as a buddhist might believe, or in Heaven, or a combination of it all, than just nothing. Nothing after all this hard work, my patience,my kind-generous ways, nothing! No there is SOMETHING. I'M DRAWN TO IT LIKE A HUMMINGBIRD TO A FLOWER!

Whoah - way to dodge the questions!  Seems to be a common theme with you Junebug.  I note you ducked out of the other thread when things got too hard for you.  Sorry, but you are NOT going to be allowed to dodge and prevaricate, not when you keep making assertions of fact.

You have said that god created everything.  Therefore, he created the human eye.  He did a shoddy job.  Did he do a shoddy job deliberately, or was it the best he could do?  Your god created flesh, therefore he created it to be"not perfect, it fails, it goes blind,hungers,gets cancer,it dies".  Sounds like he is either a mammoth screw-up, or he hates us quite a bit.  Where do you get "good" from that sentence, Junebug?

As for the mawkishness at the end.....you know what?  I'd like the afterlife to be all chocolate ice-cream!  As things stand, I have exactly the same amount of evidence of what the afterlife (or its very existence) is like, as you do.  So.....are you going to give MY fantasies the same respect as you demand from us on yours?

And you are still not actually giving any evidence.  I wonder why that is?  Could it be because you know you actually have none?

JB, you are failing in a few areas...

A) showing that your "god" actually exists

A]I have given you my personal testimony

So what?  MY personal testimony is "god does not exist".  John Johnson believes that all the good things that ever happen to him are caused by the mystical powers of his magical talking sock.  Do you actually have anything that an impartial observer would weigh as better evidence than mine?  Better that John's?

Junebug, you have constructed a lovely little fantasy that apparently works for you - provided you don't examine it too closely.  While you aren't hurting anyone with it, that's cool - enjoy.  While you don't bother anyone with it, that's cool - enjoy.

But you have chosen to turn up here and say "THIS is truth, THIS is fact, THIS is the way the universe is".  And if you are going to do that, you need to explain very clearly, with evidence, why we should take the slightest bit of notice of anything you say.

Maybe that's not what you want.  Maybe the role you want here is the one you cherish in reality.  "Oh, that Junebug - she's very spiritual you know, she knows stuff.  She's in tune with the universe, there's a special something about her.  She's an old soul, a strong spirit, a free thinker unchained by The Man."  I'll wager you have a dreamcatcher in your house, that you dress a little bit unconventionally, that you cultivate a personality described as "kooky".  It would not surprise me if your hair is not a natural colour, that you wear earth tones because you feel they bring you closer to the world.

None of that is a problem.  I've had friends who fit right into that pattern, and they are and remain good people.  And socially, that's all good.  But this is NOT a social forum, Junebug.  Its a forum where, if you want to advance an idea, you back it up.  You put up, or shut up.

So stop with the mystical arm-waving - you may get away with that with your friends, but it won't wash here.  Start backing up your assertions, and let's see one single shred of evidence for anything you've said here.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:40 AM »

What does "no spirit" mean or look like?  This "spirit" word leads you down a road of fantasy and baseless assertions.  Your thinking is so highly flawed.

Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight.

This is what we in the civilised world call "will power" or "self-discipline." It is also related to stubbornness. Once physical energy is used up, there is no more energy[1]. All people have some "will power" or "self-discipline", but some have more than others[2]. It is not related to invisible sky-pixies.
 1. You need to know what energy is, how it is created and how it is used. Why not go to a library or look on the net?
 2. which is why we are not all athletes, soldiers, etc.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:42:18 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
Junebug72 has inspired today's "Quote of the Day".
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
I just wanted to throw that out there for clarity.  I will say that it still seems possible to be an avid fan of science but still come away with a misunderstanding of the theory of evolution.

Hmm, her last post does seem to confirm this.

I will say that, at a minimum, it strikes me as incongruent to say that you enjoy some aspects of science, while dismissing other aspects as "fish turning into humans".
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Razel

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight. 

If you run out of physical energy, you drop dead, regardless of how much "spirit energy" you have.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
There are three kinds of people: those who seek the truth as revealed by a higher authority; those who seek the truth as defined by rational enquiry; and the vast majority, who believe whatever they find convenient.
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,7594.0.html

The quote above is but a single gem among the many that Star Stuff posts (once daily) on the thread above.

jb, if I seek out a good primer on evolution, will you read it? I'm willing to spend the time seeking out an appropriate one, but only if you are interested enough to give it a try. I'm trying hard to understand you, will you try to do the same?

Edit: my spelling is fine, but my typing could use some work...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:02:10 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
I just wanted to throw that out there for clarity.  I will say that it still seems possible to be an avid fan of science but still come away with a misunderstanding of the theory of evolution.

Hmm, her last post does seem to confirm this.

I will say that, at a minimum, it strikes me as incongruent to say that you enjoy some aspects of science, while dismissing other aspects as "fish turning into humans".
Well, she's doing what you or I would do and that is to dismiss the notion of 'fish turning into humans'.  The difference is that she believes this to be an expected consequence of the theory of evolution, and you and I do not.  And I'll still chalk that up to a misunderstanding of the theory of evolution.

Junebug72:
In this regard to this and Jag's previous post, I'd like to recommend The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier.  I found it to be an overall enjoyable read and it does serve as a primer on a lot of scientific disciplines.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
In this regard to this and Jag's previous post, I'd like to recommend The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier.  I found it to be an overall enjoyable read and it does serve as a primer on a lot of scientific disciplines.

IMO, I found that book to be quite dull and uninspiring.  I'd suggest this one.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

IMO, I found that book to be quite dull and uninspiring.  I'd suggest this one.
Can't believe I forgot about the Coyne book!  Junebug72, if evolution is primarily what you want to look into, the book Star Stuff recommends is a better suggestion than mine.  I still suggest The Canon though...I disagree with 'dull', but if you've got a lot of familiarity with the subjects I can see 'uninspiring' as an appropriate adjective.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »

Ok, key points:
1.   Time is a concept, an idea, an abstract. It doesn’t exist in the way people often speak of it; for instance, no one ever “ran out of time”. At worst, one could run out of life, but time continues to pass, regardless of any individual’s participation, or lack thereof. It’s not an actual thing; it’s a way of explaining other things.

That's deep Jag. I like it.

2.   Earth is a planet in the Milky Way galaxy, which is one galaxy of many (no, seriously, MANY) in the universe. For this conversation, we’re not going to include such theories as the multiverse – this one is enough for now

I know it's awesome! I bet that's where Heaven is! Wouldn't it be cool to float around from galaxy to galaxy and really SEE what's out there? Even if I only get that for a few seconds as my body dies, I will die Happy!p.s. Don't believe that's what will happen though.

If we can agree for the purposes of this conversation that black holes exist, and  function as described by science (very generally: given enough time they absorb whatever is in their path), then follow that as far as it can take you.

It would absolutely be my pleasure to agree with someone for a change. This seems like a good subject. I keep telling yal I know this science stuff.

Given enough time (and yes, I do take for granted that the universe is at least billions of years old), even black holes will be sucked in to other black holes.  Eventually, all matter that exists in the entirety of the universe gets sucked into a single immeasurably dense/intensely pressurized/mind-bendingly squished teenytinydot.

I'm going to say this about all that, how come scientists and theist always end the "story" with death and destruction? :'(

I believe mankind can have a happy ending, and that the only way that's going to happen is for people to quit being selfish; realize that we are ONE, and when you do something for just one person you do it for us all and so on, and so on. Just do me one favor Jag close your eyes and try to imagine this world. If we lived in this world I think scientists and theists would quit hollerin the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Is that going to hurt or will it be over with quick. :blank:

Let's set aside the "does god exist" question for a moment - does what I said above make sense to you as a possibility?

Yes it's possible. The universe is full of power!
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
Now, I'm no expert on ophthalmology, but I'm pretty sure becoming an ophthalmic assistant requires some amount of scientific knowledge.  At the very least, I'd imagine you'd need some basic idea of how the eye operates, how to explain the workings of the eye to someone, etc.  Plus, the person you'll be working with will have graduated from a medical school (meaning he/she'll be very science-trained).

So why claim that you have no interest in science, or that you "ain't got time for that"?  By studying how the eye works, you are applying science.

Best of luck!   :)

Thanks Aaron. You haven't seen brown sugar on you tube, it's hilarious! "i ain't got time for that" is from that video. Went viral here.
http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=JaAd8O

If I had a real point there it was that I don't have time to go to college and really learn science like that. If I did there'd be one less Opt. Asst. in the world. That we need people with different interests to learn and grow.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
Having connection probs, I'll have to get back to ya later.

Just want to say to the one that said I dodged the other post, that's just not my intention, at all. I've been so busy answering all these questions I haven't had the time. Not hiding, you can always send me a message, and I'll get back to you.

I've been reading, I've got some good stuff for ya. Time's been limited the last couple of days. :)
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
Ok, key points:
1.   Time is a concept, an idea, an abstract. It doesn’t exist in the way people often speak of it; for instance, no one ever “ran out of time”. At worst, one could run out of life, but time continues to pass, regardless of any individual’s participation, or lack thereof. It’s not an actual thing; it’s a way of explaining other things.

That's deep Jag. I like it.
Me too.
Quote from: junebug72
2.   Earth is a planet in the Milky Way galaxy, which is one galaxy of many (no, seriously, MANY) in the universe. For this conversation, we’re not going to include such theories as the multiverse – this one is enough for now

I know it's awesome! I bet that's where Heaven is! Wouldn't it be cool to float around from galaxy to galaxy and really SEE what's out there? Even if I only get that for a few seconds as my body dies, I will die Happy!p.s. Don't believe that's what will happen though.

Another point we can agree on - this is what I want to see when I die as well. I know it's not what you expect, that's fine. We're doing better than I hoped, quite honestly.
If we can agree for the purposes of this conversation that black holes exist, and  function as described by science (very generally: given enough time they absorb whatever is in their path), then follow that as far as it can take you.

It would absolutely be my pleasure to agree with someone for a change. This seems like a good subject. I keep telling yal I know this science stuff.
Yes, you've certainly been in some very intense discussion around here. I'm glad we came back to this post, I hoped you would response, so thank you.
We have been trying to figure out your understanding of science. In our chat leading to the post we're quoting, you indicated that you were not sure if you believed in black holes. That sounds rather anti-scientific. But as I stated in an earlier post, I appreciate the honesty of your reply.
Given enough time (and yes, I do take for granted that the universe is at least billions of years old), even black holes will be sucked in to other black holes.  Eventually, all matter that exists in the entirety of the universe gets sucked into a single immeasurably dense/intensely pressurized/mind-bendingly squished teenytinydot.

I'm going to say this about all that, how come scientists and theist always end the "story" with death and destruction? :'(
Well, scientists are trying desperately hard to get humans to take meaningful action to stop us from self destructing, so I get why they might sound highly "death and destruction" focused.

As to why theists do it? I can't answer that without sounding really, really bitchy, and I'm saving that for someone else.  ;)

I believe mankind can have a happy ending, and that the only way that's going to happen is for people to quit being selfish; realize that we are ONE, and when you do something for just one person you do it for us all and so on, and so on.

junebug, please believe me when I say that you and I may have different motivations that drive our belief in this, but it is a belief we share. I left a high paying industry behind to return to school and get myself positioned to help make that world a reality.

Just do me one favor Jag close your eyes and try to imagine this world. If we lived in this world I think scientists and theists would quit hollerin the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Honey, I ain't got time to spend imagining it, I'm busy as hell trying to help create it. And if we all don't get our collective rear ends moving, the sky is gonna fall, metaphorically speaking.
Is that going to hurt or will it be over with quick. :blank:
Mankind will be long gone before this happens. But not to worry, it's a very long time in the future.
Let's set aside the "does god exist" question for a moment - does what I said above make sense to you as a possibility?

Yes it's possible. The universe is full of power!

Thank you. I appreciate that.

jb, do you see that in the alternative I propose,  this is a repeating cycle, not a single event? This isn't the first version of a universe, it's just the current one. This is how I understand the very difficult concept of eternity - the only thing that is actually eternal is the matter that makes up everything in the universe. The forms it assembles into each time the cycle completes are beyond my abilities to even speculate about, I'm just not that knowledgeable about physics.

Cool concept, innit?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:40:03 PM by Jag »

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
If your hope is to find eternal life/existence and you employ God belief as the method of achieving that goal, then there are some problems you will face. The biggest problem is that the faith method is not testible and its adherents have no way of knowing that it works until it's too late (at death) to try some other method.

Faith typically positions itself as an all or nothing singular solution to the mortality problem mankind faces. It's formula is (belief + obedience = eternal life) or something to that effect. This formula excludes and usually forbids the pursuit of other solutions as pursuing other things like SENS Research for instance would constitute a lack of faith in one's religion's deity. Faith in gods has a way of stunting progress and silencing the voices of those who wish to pursue other means that question the foundations and stances of the faith (see the stem cell research contraversy as a current example).

Hey Truth. It's not just about eternal life. It's about the mystery being solved, the questions answered you've asked your whole life. It's about being accountable for your life.

No doubt that is the formula for some people's faith and that is sad. That is faith in man not God, if they had faith in God they would put it in God's hands.  They would be HUMBLE. Speaking of I owe a couple of apologies to screw and aaron. I got a little cocky, Sorry guys. That's why you should be humble, when you offend people with your arrogance it offends you as well.  Impeccable with your word. That book I mentioned, "The Four Agreements..." I'm still a work in progress.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »
I don't think junebug72 expressed a lack of interest in science; just a lack of interest in being a scientist.  One need not be a career scientist to practice and appreciate the scientific method.

Thing is; she appearently rejects the theory of evolution, and doesn't wish to understand what it is.  That's what I'm getting at.

Hey A, hope you got that apology I sent your way.

How is it "apparent"? I don't reject science. I keep saying this over and over. The main thing you and I disagree on is God. So can we please put this behind us and move the topic-Believing in God is not a Bad Thing- forward?  Thanks. ;)

Shout out to jdawg.  :)
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2013, 09:04:25 PM »
Hi jb, you posted while I was posting. Before we get back into the weeds, how did your test go?

Just in case you missed it. I did pretty good. Have to take one prerequisite math class and I'm good to go.
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
^^^Good for you, glad to hear it!

I'm a (middle-aged) college student myself and find a great deal of satisfaction in learning. If I could figure out how to support myself while doing so, I'd go to school and study everything under the sun for the rest of my life. Since that's not an option, I decided to save the world instead.  ;)

Wish me luck!

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »

God is not a person like you or me. God can be anything, we do not know who or what God is; that's why God is God.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:50:38 PM by Star Stuff »
Thomas Paine

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
Including a construct of the human mind (or in other words, imaginary).

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »

So far science has not contradicted the existence of God, science confirms it.
?????
You will have to try and understand what I said earlier if there's even a hope that you will understand that one!

I'm trying quite hard to follow along with you jb, so could you point me toward what you said earlier about this? I'm willing to try to understand what you're getting at.

Seems to me you're getting me just fine Jag.

See that's what you're left with when you take away all the, messy stuff (to simplify), and still believe in God. You have to ask yourself;where did God come from? How do I define God? And so many more. My brain is constantly contemplating the matter. I guess that's why I spend so much time here. It's an outlet to get all these thoughts out of my head, to test my own faith. I don't mean test by way of converting you into Christians, that's the last thing I want to do. More like practicing patience, kindness, UNDERSTANDING, practice my Four Agreements. I find when I do these things I feel...safe. Protected by God, the power of the universe at my disposal.

Please guys that is called creative writing, so please don't ask me to poof out a planet or two. :laugh:

It is like trying to explain an unexplainable emotion. One that is so overwhelming it leaves you breathless. Wanting more!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:59:58 PM by junebug72 »
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
While I don't agree with your belief, I'm starting to make better sense of how it lines up for you. If we can ever drag this back to the title of this topic, I might be able to help you understand why we, in general, don't agree with the words, and how we might be closer than it appears in sentiment. And more importantly to the rest of this community, why we think it really, really matters.

I'll hold off a bit longer and let you get caught up.

Edit: holy shit, did I really type "more better" and then posted without correcting it? Eek, fixed THAT.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:01:21 PM by Jag »

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »
While I don't agree with your belief, I'm starting to make more better sense of how it lines up for you. If we can ever drag this back to the title of this topic, I might be able to help you understand why we, in general, don't agree with the words, and how we might be closer than it appears in sentiment. And more importantly to the rest of this community, why we think it really, really matters.

I'll hold off a bit longer and let you get caught up.

Thanks Jag, I'm almost to page 8.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
Nothing exists without God.

Baseless assertion.

God is where it all comes from

Baseless assertion.

Whatever, "who" ever, however, whyever. That's God.

Baseless assertion.  And it explains nothing.

Baseless to you star, baseless to you, baseless to you star, baseless to you, and It would explain more if you would put your anger away and start listening. You don't have to start believing in God to make sense out of what I'm saying. All you have to do is be nice. Then you have more brain capacity to comprehend. I am not your enemy.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2013, 10:32:17 PM »
I would also rather believe that life is eternal.  Any idea how much bearing our desire for such an outcome has on the reality of that outcome?

Awful bad waste of space if it has no bearing on our future free of our physical form. Who knows what's behind death's mysterious door, but I'm going to be ready for anything! If you're right and I'm wrong I haven't lost anything, My belief in God made my life complete, I didn't sacrifice anything. I've lived my life to make me happy, not stepping on others to get there,it made my life good. If I'm right and you're wrong well I guess you get to come back and try again. Who knows? Who really knows? I believe in being prepared. That's just the way I am.

I understand evolution just fine and I wonder at God's amazing intelligence. I also have a lot of respect for the minds that figure this stuff out. They are so smart.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
He gave us photosynthesis, atmosphere, moon, trees, water, so much more that is necessary for our survival. It displays the Awesome Power of God.

Wrong.  If God created us, then these things are only necessary for our survival because he created us this way.  It's possible for God to create us in a way such that these things aren't necessary for our survival.  Would have been nice if we didn't require food or water.  That would solve the whole "world hunger" problem.

Hey Razel,

It's possible that God knows much more about how life works than we do. Learning how to share would solve that problem. He gave us plenty of food and water, it's just not evenly distributed. It is not respected. It is polluted by greed.
Thomas Paine

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »
Baseless to you star, baseless to you, baseless to you star, baseless to you

No, the vast majority of your statements are fully baseless, supernatural assertions, offered up without a shred of evidence.  You're so used to doing it that you're don't seem to be aware of what you're doing.  It's a habit, and it's a bad one.

Your statements would be less bankrupt and less painful to us reading them if you would at least preface your baseless assertions by saying something like "I believe that God is this, or God is that", instead of "God is" as though you know it to be so when you clearly don't and can't.

...and it would explain more if you would put your anger away and start listening.

a) I'm not angry.  What does cause me to possibly appear angry is when people like you make truckloads of baseless assertions with that cock-sure attitude.  You love the facade of the airy-fairy lovey-dovey can't-we-all-just-get-along pap, but it's meerly a veneer for your utter arrogance that you think you know something when you don't.  You believe it.  You have faith; and only lies require faith.

b) Listening.  There's a good example of your arrogance in disguise.  You're asking me - a 50 something yr old individual who was born & raised in Christianity - complete with church summer camps, youth groups, witnessing, prayer meetings, bible studies, being baptized etc etc, and having read more books on the subject than you can imagine, and having intensely looked very very carefully at this topic in a critical and intellectually honest manner for the last 7 years, including well over 12,000 post in this and other forums..........all to have you waltz in and smugly suggest that I haven't been listening?!!!

I've been listening to you quite attentively, and frankly, I've been biting my tongue so much I think it's swollen.  You seem to be under the illusion that being kind & sweet is all that matters, and that somehow that'll lead us to truth & understanding, when all it does is keep some people (like you) in a fog of delusional BELIEFS.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
Whoah - way to dodge the questions!  Seems to be a common theme with you Junebug.  I note you ducked out of the other thread when things got too hard for you.  Sorry, but you are NOT going to be allowed to dodge and prevaricate, not when you keep making assertions of fact.

And you are still not actually giving any evidence.  I wonder why that is?  Could it be because you know you actually have none?
[/quote]

Nobody's dodging or prevaricating Anf. I'm right here. It takes a long time to answer all these questions.

I'm giving you my word, I will take a lie detector test if that will help, that God has helped me in my life. That does not make me a bad person, it makes me better, and that's the point I'm trying to make that believing in God is not a bad thing.

Think about it like this, if our bodies did not give up and die how would we take our Heavenly FLight? This is where you have to have respect for God to understand these things. Respect the ultimate wisdom of the universe,God.
Thomas Paine