Author Topic: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing  (Read 42226 times)

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
Re: Believing in God is Not a Bad Thing
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »
Hang on there - I had a detached retina and it was put back beautifully a couple of days later whilst I listened to the surgeon describing what he was doing to two students! I can see very well indeed from it now!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
Oh you know what I mean. Poverty, violence,etc...

I didn't know what you meant so I wanted clarification. 

To answer your question, I do not think there is any way out.  It is the nature of our species.  The interests of the individual organism will always be in some conflict with the interests of the group.

You're the one missing the point.

I don't think I am.

The fact that you insist on proving me to be religious is evidence of that.

I am sorry if that word bothers you, but that is a fact and you should get used to it.

I have no traditional ties to what your concept of a believer is,

No, you exactly fit my concept of a believer.  You have constructed a set of beliefs about a god - that is, a religion - out of ideas that suit you.  They are based on your personal situation, your experiences and your needs.  You do not believe the same things that most believers I have known have believed.  But the specifics of your beliefs are not the root of the matter.  No two believers' beliefs are identical.  The root of the matter is belief itself.  So in that regard, you are no different.

... these questions you all keep asking me does not prove God doesn't exist to me.  To me there is really only way to prove it's not possible and by then none of us are able to speak because we're dead.

You are saying there is nothing that could change your mind.  Then your idea of god is completely irrational.   You are entitled to it, but please do not behave as if it is anything but irrational.

Hello, yes ya did.

No, I didn't.

I just got done saying it offends me;

No, you didn't.  You said:
I guess that's why I get defensive when someone calls me religious.

Defensive is not the same as offended.  I was trying to explain to you why you should not be defensive because by definition you are relgious.

That is a very arrogant thing to say screwey.

I can see how it would seem that way.  However, it is often true that other people have better perspective on our own views and lives.  We are so deep "in it", that we cannot see clearly.  In your case, you  seem to be very concerned with not being associated with an established religion.  So much so that the very word "religion" is anathema to you, despite how it is defined in the English language.  The former, I get.  The latter, I don't.  It seems to be a bit of denial on your part.

But whatever.  I think I've made my point.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Why is a personal witness not evidence?

You didn't witness a deity creating the universe or this planet.  We know how this planet formed, and we know that for the first 1 BILLION years (that's a thousand million), it was a nasty, hostile place inhospitable to life.  We know that about 3.5 BILLION years ago, life cooked up in a most simple biochemical way, and has evolved to where we are now.  ALL of the evidence (and there's mountains of it) supports this.

Please watch:

The fact that this planet is here is evidence.

You're doing it again; coming to your conclusions first.

Science seeks to draw a conclusion from the evidence at hand, while religion seeks to find evidence for a conclusion at hand.  (Steven J. Hurlin)
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
jb, this was originally written for someone else on the same general topic. It seems a good fit for you as well; the question I address is - if everything has a beginning and an end (a contention I don't agree with, BTW), then how could the Universe be an exception? What follows is my explanation of the origins of the universe with no god involved. (This is not original to me, my son planted the seed of it over lunch one day)

Ok, key points:
1.   Time is a concept, an idea, an abstract. It doesn’t exist in the way people often speak of it; for instance, no one ever “ran out of time”. At worst, one could run out of life, but time continues to pass, regardless of any individual’s participation, or lack thereof. It’s not an actual thing; it’s a way of explaining other things.
2.   Earth is a planet in the Milky Way galaxy, which is one galaxy of many (no, seriously, MANY) in the universe. For this conversation, we’re not going to include such theories as the multiverse – this one is enough for now.

So:
If we can agree for the purposes of this conversation that black holes exist, and  function as described by science (very generally: given enough time they absorb whatever is in their path), then follow that as far as it can take you.

Given enough time (and yes, I do take for granted that the universe is at least billions of years old), even black holes will be sucked in to other black holes.  Eventually, all matter that exists in the entirety of the universe gets sucked into a single immeasurably dense/intensely pressurized/mind-bendingly squished teenytinydot.

Can you guess what would happen next?

A big frickin’ bang, that’s what.

The universe is not an exception, you’re trying to force the whole existence of it into a concept, time, that only exists to allow us to communicate about things related to it, like “yesterday”, or “next month” or “in ten years”. Or “many millions of years ago”. Or “one hundred twenty seven light years away”.

It’s a measure of distance more than anything else, just not necessarily physical distance.

So, the central point is that the universe could quite easily have always existed, based on what we know about black holes. What we think of as "eternity" is just the most recent expansion of matter since the last big bang from the single black hole that contained everything for a time. Essentially, this has been happening forever and will continue to do so. We humans are just a single example of what matter can gather into, given enough time, along with everything else in the whole universe. Next time, things will probably shake out differently and the alignment of newly created stars and planets will form different galaxies and solar systems than the ones in this ... incarnation.

Let's set aside the "does god exist" question for a moment - does what I said above make sense to you as a possibility?

"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
I know this doesn't go with the flow of the conversation, but I just saw this on the 'net, and recalled the comments on page 4 of this thread:

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
First of all "i ain't got time for that", second if we all were studying the same things;we'd all know a lot about one thing. There is a reason we all have different interests. There'd be only doctors or only lawyers or only you get the point; don't you? I have no desire whatsoever to be a scientist. It's not because I'm not smart enough; that's not my destiny. I'm going to take my placement test this morning to get a certificate in ophthalmic assisting. That is my passion my dream. I LOVE EYECARE.

Now, I'm no expert on ophthalmology, but I'm pretty sure becoming an ophthalmic assistant requires some amount of scientific knowledge.  At the very least, I'd imagine you'd need some basic idea of how the eye operates, how to explain the workings of the eye to someone, etc.  Plus, the person you'll be working with will have graduated from a medical school (meaning he/she'll be very science-trained).

So why claim that you have no interest in science, or that you "ain't got time for that"?  By studying how the eye works, you are applying science.

Gotta go get ready now. Test time!

Best of luck!   :)
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
Gotta go get ready now. Test time!

Missed this the first time, and you'll be done by the time you read this so.....I hope it went well!
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
Now, I'm no expert on ophthalmology, but I'm pretty sure becoming an ophthalmic assistant requires some amount of scientific knowledge.  At the very least, I'd imagine you'd need some basic idea of how the eye operates, how to explain the workings of the eye to someone, etc.  Plus, the person you'll be working with will have graduated from a medical school (meaning he/she'll be very science-trained).

So why claim that you have no interest in science, or that you "ain't got time for that"?  By studying how the eye works, you are applying science.
I don't think junebug72 expressed a lack of interest in science; just a lack of interest in being a scientist.  One need not be a career scientist to practice and appreciate the scientific method.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2013, 12:19:02 PM »

As long as there is a shred of hope that life after death exists, this is the path I must follow, I long to see my mother again in a land without pain,fear, or sadness.

Do we not owe it to ourselves to give any option that includes eternal existence every opportunity before dismissing it. I owe it to myself I know.

If your hope is to find eternal life/existence and you employ God belief as the method of achieving that goal, then there are some problems you will face. The biggest problem is that the faith method is not testible and its adherents have no way of knowing that it works until it's too late (at death) to try some other method.

Faith typically positions itself as an all or nothing singular solution to the mortality problem mankind faces. It's formula is (belief + obedience = eternal life) or something to that effect. This formula excludes and usually forbids the pursuit of other solutions as pursuing other things like SENS Research for instance would constitute a lack of faith in one's religion's deity. Faith in gods has a way of stunting progress and silencing the voices of those who wish to pursue other means that question the foundations and stances of the faith (see the stem cell research contraversy as a current example).

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
I don't think junebug72 expressed a lack of interest in science; just a lack of interest in being a scientist.  One need not be a career scientist to practice and appreciate the scientific method.

Thing is; she appearently rejects the theory of evolution, and doesn't wish to understand what it is.  That's what I'm getting at.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »

Thing is; she appearently rejects the theory of evolution, and doesn't wish to understand what it is.  That's what I'm getting at.
Being careful to not speak for junebug72 (and apologizing to you jb if I got it all wrong)
Except I'm not sure that's quite right either. I've sort of gotten the impression that she might accept it to a point - as in she doesn't exactly deny the mechanisms, she just believes that evolution is the process by which God did it. But I could be misreading that completely.

I sincerely hope jb returns and clarifies this.

Edited for clarity

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »
That is not what "religion" means when people here use the word "religion".

Talk about arguing with a sign post. I'm saying there's a difference-a very critical difference-and now that I've proven it to "you all" ,you want to say it can mean something else. How convenient for you. &)
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »
Hi jb, you posted while I was posting. Before we get back into the weeds, how did your test go?

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
Talk about arguing with a sign post. I'm saying there's a difference-a very critical difference-and now that I've proven it to "you all" ,you want to say it can mean something else. How convenient for you. &)

People here are using a dictionary definition.  You're using another one, probably also in dictionaries.  I was highlighting that miscommunication was taking place.  And you decided to take offence.

You know, it's not always a good decision to take offence.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
JB, you are failing in a few areas...

A) showing that your "god" actually exists
B) distinguishing between your "god's" inaction and its non-existence
C) showing how you came to conclusions about your "god"
D) you claim to be non-religions, but the more you post it sounds like Christianity based upon the bible with the usual ignoring of the messy stuff; how is your religion different?

A]I have given you my personal testimony
B]I have explained free will
C]By putting it to action in my own life with positive results
D]How about some quotes that sound like Christianity...aka proof!  Just because I know the ten commandments, so do you! I guess you're just as religious as I am.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »

What does "no spirit" mean or look like?  This "spirit" word leads you down a road of fantasy and baseless assertions.  Your thinking is so highly flawed.

Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight. You have a strong spirit Starry Skies. ;D

I can see that you didn't watch that video I posted on "Openmindedness".  I highly recommend it.

I don't see how a video could change the def. of closed-minded. I know what it means and since you, are closed to the idea that there is God, you are being closed-minded. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

No, you're a cherry picker.  You like it when it supports your pre-existing beliefs, but dismiss it when it  that your supernatural beliefs are false.

So far science has not contradicted the existence of God, science confirms it.

You will have to try and understand what I said earlier if there's even a hope that you will understand that one!

That wasn't my point at all.  My point is that you know darn well that to "come out" as a non-believer in god in your neck of the woods would most certainly come with a cost - no?

50 years ago you probably would've been right, but it's really not that big a deal these days. Church parking lots aren't half full. There is a few large, successful churches in town, but for the most part, not so much.
Thomas Paine

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »

?????
You will have to try and understand what I said earlier if there's even a hope that you will understand that one!

I'm trying quite hard to follow along with you jb, so could you point me toward what you said earlier about this? I'm willing to try to understand what you're getting at.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2013, 03:18:39 PM »
Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight.

What you're describing is nothing more than brain activity, personality and drive.  All fully natural terms.  You do not use the word spirit in these terms, you assert it in supernatural terms. Please stop moving the goalposts.

I don't see how a video could change the def. of closed-minded.

What?  Again, you're not making sense.  Did you watch the video?

I know what it means and since you, are closed to the idea that there is God, you are being closed-minded.

Wrong again.  I am completely open to believing in a god, I simply require evidence.  There is none however.

Wrong.  Dead wrong.  You need to understand that something like 95% of the members of the Academy of Science (truly the elite of the elite in science) are atheists.

Doesn't it seem odd that the "evidence for the existence of god" is completely hidden from the greatest human minds who spend their professional lives exploring how the universe functions, yet it is perfectly clear to uneducated simpletons who have access to internet-linked terminals?

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
June, I am as open minded as anyone but that doesn't mean anything can filter into my mind and stay there. I am quite open to new ideas, to changing my mind when new evidence pops along and so forth. So let's look at this question of the god that you think we should all examine.

My current position is that I have no evidence of any god existing though, of course, plenty have been proposed. Now for theists who come along to this forum, they usually believe in one god, hence denying the existence of all the other ones. (We don't get many supporters of Thor here for example!) Now and atheist just takes this a bit further and denies the last one and hence does not believe in any god. This is my present position.

Now, to be open-minded, I need to consider what you have brought along and see whether your god is one I should consider. This is the first problem I have as I can't quite decide which god it is you say you believe in. It sounds like the Christian god yet at other times I'n not quite sure. You claim your god created everything - well many gods have that claim and it doesn't differentiate out your god from anyone else's really. Then you say that the spirit in people is significant. I'm not clear quite how this fits in. So, could you answer the following for me to make sure I am absolutely clear about this -

• Which god is it that you worship and believe in?
  • Do you know of any attributes he has?
  • How does the 'spirit' you talk about fit in with your god?
  • Do you rely on any holy book (say the bible) and part of your faith?

I'll have a  serious and open-minded think when you reply.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »
That's why you can't get rid of God. If our origin is certain gases combining in such a way that life was created then that power is God.

Could volcanoes exist without god?
If you boil water on the stove, do you think that could be done without god?
If you use laundry detergent to clean clothing, do you think that could be done without god?

Or are you saying that your definition of god includes absolutely everything in the universe since time began,  so absolutely nothing does not involve god - more a pantheism definition?

Junebug, would you say that from your time debating here your definition of god has changed?

Hey shno, Nothing exists without God. God is where it all comes from, whatever, "who"ever, however, whyever. That's God.

Yes it has shno, I understand God better now.

Ok so I looked up pantheism, seems to be a lot nicer than calling me religious! ;D It is however a summary definition and does not reflect details.
Thomas Paine

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
JB, you are failing in a few areas...

A) showing that your "god" actually exists
B) distinguishing between your "god's" inaction and its non-existence
C) showing how you came to conclusions about your "god"
D) you claim to be non-religions, but the more you post it sounds like Christianity based upon the bible with the usual ignoring of the messy stuff; how is your religion different?

A]I have given you my personal testimony
B]I have explained free will
C]By putting it to action in my own life with positive results
D]How about some quotes that sound like Christianity...aka proof!  Just because I know the ten commandments, so do you! I guess you're just as religious as I am.
A] Muslims, Hindus, Mormons, Rastafarians and Scientologists have personal testimony. That means all the gods they believe in actually exist, too.

B] "Free will", invented by the Catholics, just means that you have given your god an excuse for the bad things that happen. Bad things (even earthquakes and bird flu) are caused by humans. When good things happen, you don't have to invoke free will-- that's just god being god. See how god is always good?

C] As shown above, when you get positive results, that's god at work. When you get negative results, you forget that you asked god for the opposite, chalk it up to "life happens", or hang onto your faith even tighter to let god help you through the bad times. Other people get the same or even better results without any belief in supernatural beings.

D] If you had been raised in India, your "spiriturality" would sound just like Hinduism. If you had been raised in Thailand, your "spiriturality" would greatly overlap with Buddhism. No surprise that your "spiriturality" seems very Christian-like, if that is what you are exposed to the most.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
Come on Star you know what human spirit is. Athletes, soldiers, and people all around the world use spirit energy when their physical energy is all used up. The stronger that spirit is the stronger the will to fight. You have a strong spirit Starry Skies. ;D

So spirit = adrenaline.  Good to know.
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
Nothing exists without God.

Baseless assertion.

God is where it all comes from

Baseless assertion.

Whatever, "who" ever, however, whyever. That's God.

Baseless assertion.  And it explains nothing.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »
June, here's your answer to your challenge. The following picture is an illustration of the 'universe' created in Genesis and mention in Job.We know this is some time BCE - maybe around 500BCE as some of the story seems to be from the Babylonian creation narrative.

Now, please, point out to me what in the picture is like our present views of the universe.

Wheels before I do that I'm gonna have to ask you HAVE YOU READ ANY OF MY POSTS, I don't believe the bible is an accurate account of God or our origin. I even got me a Darwin for that. It's my +1.

What challenge are you referring to that this picture answers? The only challenge I remember was something about I'll study more science if you all will flatter my ideas, or something like that. If I remember correctly, the posts I've read so far, I got shot down in flames;told something like meeting in the middle was a bunch of crap, or something like that.
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
Good luck with the test, June!

Thanks wheels. I did pretty good. I passed reading comp. very well, pretty good on sentence structure, and I have to take some math before I can enroll in my course. I know that sentence is wrong but oh well. I was only 1 dang point away too. Oh well I like math.  Eyecare is a very mathematical profession;especially eyeglass manufacturing and fitting.
Anyway, thanks for the smile. :laugh:
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »

Have you ever asked god why he built the eye in such a cack-handed way, with its backwards retina and nerve fibres running in front of the photoreceptors to create a blind spot?  HE got it right with squid, why screw it up for humans?  Next time you are helping deal with a detached retina, just remember that had god not screwed up the design of the eye, that person would still have their sight.

Our flesh is our temporary home, like the womb for our spirit to learn and grow. Flesh is not perfect, it fails, it goes blind,hungers,gets cancer,it dies. The spirit however, it can not be said with any certainty what happens to the spirit. I would rather believe it is recycled back into life,as a buddhist might believe, or in Heaven, or a combination of it all, than just nothing. Nothing after all this hard work, my patience,my kind-generous ways, nothing! No there is SOMETHING. I'M DRAWN TO IT LIKE A HUMMINGBIRD TO A FLOWER!
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »

Defensive is not the same as offended.  I was trying to explain to you why you should not be defensive because by definition you are relgious.

Right it's the exact opposite, so it doesn't take Einstein to infer that it offends me, therefor I get defensive.

junebug-2 screwey-0 , sorry don't mean to be mean, but damn. Love ya though!!! :?

Well at least you don't replace the words in my sentences, you just take the focus off the main topic by picking on words.

Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
Hang on there - I had a detached retina and it was put back beautifully a couple of days later whilst I listened to the surgeon describing what he was doing to two students! I can see very well indeed from it now!

Too Cool! I'm so glad all went well!
Thomas Paine

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »
I just wanted to throw that out there for clarity.  I will say that it still seems possible to be an avid fan of science but still come away with a misunderstanding of the theory of evolution.

Our flesh is our temporary home, like the womb for our spirit to learn and grow. Flesh is not perfect, it fails, it goes blind,hungers,gets cancer,it dies. The spirit however, it can not be said with any certainty what happens to the spirit. I would rather believe it is recycled back into life,as a buddhist might believe, or in Heaven, or a combination of it all, than just nothing. Nothing after all this hard work, my patience,my kind-generous ways, nothing! No there is SOMETHING. I'M DRAWN TO IT LIKE A HUMMINGBIRD TO A FLOWER!
I would also rather believe that life is eternal.  Any idea how much bearing our desire for such an outcome has on the reality of that outcome?

Other things that I'd rather believe:
1) That I am handsome
2) That I am intelligent
3) That I had $3.2 million in the bank
4) That I would stand a chance at surviving a zombie apocalypse
5) That smoking were not detrimental to one's health
6) That Star Wars Episode I has intelligent, natural dialog

Also, congratulations on the test.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/