Author Topic: Cops and cameras  (Read 271 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
Cops and cameras
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »
This thread is a product of my gun discussion with pianodwarf.  I mentioned my growing anxiety over cops abusing their authority and some youtube videos were mentioned.  I found some of the ones I was talking about, but I'm still looking for the best ones.  They are below.

One of my biggest problems with the whole situation is there seems to be no accountability whatsoever for cops.  There was an article I read recently that said when complains about police are accompanied with video, the police are reprimanded about 70% of the time.  Without video, 3%.  When I was younger I never understood hostility toward police.  Now I do.

I did not want to imbed the vids and could not find a way to just link them.  So, you're going to have to copy and paste the urls into the nav bar.  Sorry.

Two idiots outsmart pathetic cops.
[www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw_zXCYoMI]

This one has pieces of an excellent video I was talking about.  It is the one with the asian cop and it was done by a guy who has several of this kind of video.  In one of them, the police come to his house and attempt to interrogate him as to why he is video taping in public.  He basically tells them to piss off.  I cannot find any of his original videos, but I'll keep looking.
[www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVdprVRHrJ4]

Kids doing nothing wrong in a walmart parking lot.  The cop is completely wrong and unprofessional.  He admits he had a fight earlier and is still all stressed over it.  He should have gone home because he was behaving emotionally and irrationally.  That they are black and in the south does not work in their favor.   
[www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iMayZC-NMw]

Cop who knows he’s abusing his authority but won’t admit it.
[www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TP63QEpzV0]

There are, unfortunately, a zillion others.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Cops and cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
Cops have, for too long, had too many apologists for any deviant behavioral abuse of power. The advent of cheap, portable recording devices will no doubt change that.

The apologist wants to give them a free pass simply because they have a tough job, they put their lives on the line, they have to deal with criminals, etc etc etc….Tough shit. The cop volunteered to do this job. To serve and protect! Unfortunately, it seems that too many serve and protect primarily their own, and the civilians are a secondary concern.

But, cops are people too. So, they can and do succumb to the daily stressors of life and occupation. I get that. And most that I've had the displeasure of dealing with have been courteous and professional, and I have no complaints.

Th  I mentioned my growing anxiety over cops abusing their authority 

I don't think, however, that your growing concern over their abuses of power is necessarily due to an actual growth of abuse of power. I think, rather, it's that more of it is coming to light in this video communication age. And that's a good thing.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »
Here in Illinois we have the law that a person can't audio record a police officer in public as the law "protects the privacy rights of officers and civilians, as well as ensures that those wielding recording devices don't interfere with urgent police work."  I think this law is still being argued in court and will probably be overturned in the future.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/illinois-police-recording_n_2191800.html
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »
Cops have, for too long, had too many apologists for any deviant behavioral abuse of power.

I think after the 60s and 70s, when police corruption was much worse, the media sort of went on a PR campaign for cops, lionizing them every chance they got.  Now the public opinion has swung completely the other way. 

I don't think, however, that your growing concern over their abuses of power is necessarily due to an actual growth of abuse of power. I think, rather, it's that more of it is coming to light in this video communication age. And that's a good thing.

I think you are right about that.  I would say police are probably a lot better now than they were 40 years ago.  However, I think their generally great perception by the public at large gives them a lot of leeway for abuse.

Here in Illinois we have the law that a person can't audio record a police officer in public

I think audio is a grey area.  Video has been okayed by the scotus, as long as the police are doing their public duty in public.  A lot of states try to prosecute people taking video by claiming the audio violates wire tap laws, which I think is a stretch and will eventually be overturned.

Until then we have to deal with situations like this:
http://rt.com/usa/copblock-wiretap-police-mueller-096/

It does look like the Fed courts are on our side on this
http://radioboston.wbur.org/2011/08/30/legality-recording-police
http://ideas.time.com/2012/05/21/a-new-first-amendment-right-videotaping-the-police/

It also looks like some legislators get it too
http://www.theagitator.com/2011/02/24/short-but-sweet/
This is great.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.