Author Topic: 5 year old accepts Christ.  (Read 668 times)

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
5 year old accepts Christ.
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
Ken Ham posted a story about a little girl at the creation museum. In response a Mom on facebook was so proud of this: 
That is awesome, and perfect timing, as my 5-year-old daughter just accepted Jesus as her Savior last Saturday. She went around church on Resurrection Sunday with her Bible, saying "I want to tell people about God." and showing them pages from the Word. Seeing a child give themselves whole-heartedly over to Christ is so humbling, and inspiring. Wish my family had the $$ to visit the museum!

I find it disturbing.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: 5 year old accepts Christ.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
I assume that like most 5 year old kids she also believes in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and storks that deliver babies.  Chock another idea up to list of things children believe because an adult told them so.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
That is scary, sad, and a form of child abuse.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »
It is disturbing, but not uncommon amongst the evangelicals.  If you saw Jesus Camp, you would have seen a 10 year old kid talk about how he accepted jesus H when he was 5 because he was bored with life.  And the various adults around him talk about how awesome that is and how great he is and he's sure to be some big shot preacher eventually. 

Of course kids are going to say that because they see it gets them a pat on the head.  But a 5 year old cannot make that kind of decision.  At least the jews wait until they are 13 for that kind of commitment.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Naturally, if any of these people saw a news story about a 5 year old accepting Allah or YHWH or Shiva or pick-your-god, they would flip out.

That's probably the thing I dislike most about religious belief - that it's viewed by so many as an all or nothing proposition.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
Disgusting.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »
I had this good cop bad cop image of the dynamic duo as a kid. Jesus was the good cop. But a cop nevertheless.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
Not surprising or anything. 

Give that kid another 10-15 years.  By then, she may change her tune.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
Ken Ham posted a story about a little girl at the creation museum. In response a Mom on facebook was so proud of this: 
That is awesome, and perfect timing, as my 5-year-old daughter just accepted Jesus as her Savior last Saturday. She went around church on Resurrection Sunday with her Bible, saying "I want to tell people about God." and showing them pages from the Word. Seeing a child give themselves whole-heartedly over to Christ is so humbling, and inspiring. Wish my family had the $$ to visit the museum!

I find it disturbing.

I have family members like this. It is disturbing.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
I took my 6 year old to the Hayden Planetarium they day after "resurrection Sunday."  In the days before our trip, she explained to me that "scientists don't know if the universe goes on for infinity or ends or if there are lots of different universes." 

She told me that she wants to be the one who finds out the true answer when she grows up.

During our visit to the planetarium, she became somewhat concerned about what was there before the Big Bang.  She said she might discover the answer to that question too when she grows up. 

Kids really like to have the answer to questions.  And almost any answer will satisfy them.  The little 5 year old who accepted Jesus and wants to tell people about god is not that different from my little girl.  If I told my little girl that crystal fairies created the universe in 4 hours, and that the universe was shaped like a piece of rock candy, she would have been satisfied. 

She still wants THE ANSWERS, and is a little impatient with the scientists who don't have all the answers yet.  But I have explained to her that science takes time, and that scientists today know a whole lot more than they did when I was a little girl.  And for her, this is motivation to learn and discover. 

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
The mom is using words and phrases she doesn't know the meaning of. And the child is just a possession she want to brag about. It sure is disturbing.

It wont be long before another mom claims that her 4 year old "wholeheartedly" accepted JC.

Quesi, your daughter is asking the right questions. That is great, because in startling contrast, the other child starts with all the answers.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »
I agree. Kids look for answers and they will take what you give them. If you give them easy answers, their brains will slowly rot. If you give them answers that require them to think, they will soon outwit you.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.