Author Topic: Does Anyone Else Hate Easter?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Does Anyone Else Hate Easter?
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
Wow Chronos-

Your facebook feed sucks. 

I actually really enjoy mine.  A huge percentage of posts are proud parents updating the world on their children's accomplishments.  There is more than I care to see about sports.  Commentary on current events.  And of course, there are cute kittens. 

But a lot of my friends share information, or even just pithy photos on topics of importance to them, and often those posts either inform me or remind me of issues of importance.

I have friends who do the same, but it's not the majority of the things I see posted on Facebook. Being (originally) from a smaller town, I have a lot of "friends" who are quite religious and/or uninterested in investigating the facts of things they share. I didn't see just a lot of "He has risen" postings on Easter, I see religious stuff all year round. One high school classmate, in particular, has a daily devotional that she posts without fail. She may not post anything personal for 3-4 weeks at a time, but her wall is dedicated to Jesus, et al, every day in between. I've got others who get on Facebook and "bless" everything in sight 4-5 times each day. I'm not exaggerating in the least. These people do not comprise the norm among my Facebook friends, but you can see that the baseline is starting out rather low and it's tough to get a higher spread.

As with religion, if the topic they see fits their personal perspective or tugs at their emotions, then they share it as if it were, well, gospel. A common piece of Facebook crapnews: missing people. I don't know how many postings of missing people have been made and shared on Facebook but for me to discover with minimal effort that the person who was missing 10 months ago was found 9.5 months ago. I always post replies that the person was found, but the sharing perpetuates regardless. The originators of these claims don't have the courtesy (or intellectual wherewithal) to remove the original post to prevent it from being shared needlessly. Other forms of Facebook crapnews: deformed or disadvantaged children, military fathers returning from deployment to reunite with their children, illegal aliens who pay no taxes yet receive Social Security benefits, graphics with poems about how wonderful spouses, children or pets are, graphics with sarcasm about how annoying spouses, childre or pets are, type number 1 and see what happens to the picture ... it's like people are regurgitating every crap email from 1998 onto my Facebook feed.

Quite frankly, I need to spend more time finding a better class of "friends", and I've gained a few on Facebook via this forum. They post good stuff. I need to turn up the squelch on more of the other "friends".

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »
Nick,

I got a present: a 5 pound chocolate Easter bunny. Took me 3 days to eat it.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
Any excuse to eat chocolate is good by me..

Magiicmiles

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
Eating chocolate even as I type

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +807/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
MM, I thought you were gone.... :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
I was. Now I'm back. Of the three discussion forums I joined in recent times, this is the one I most enjoyed. (the other two were IGI and ATT).
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.