Author Topic: Does Anyone Else Hate Easter?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
Does Anyone Else Hate Easter?
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »
Most shops are closed. Some websites are down for "Easter Break". Many people are not around or available (due to this absurd religious 'holiday'), and it just sucks! What a total crap holiday!

Does anyone else just hate these bullshit, arbitrary religious holidays?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: Does Anyone Else Hate Easter?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
I never liked Easter even when I was a practicing Catholic.  No presents. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +41/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
It's especially hard when your whole family are devout Christians.  It's my first year as a non-christian and it's a lot harder than I thought.  I realized how Christianized this country is (funny how I never saw it before).  It also seems somewhat ridiculous that even Christian family's pray for about 2 seconds then go out for a big easter egg hunt!
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
I'm getting tired of reading "He is risen" on Facebook.  :o
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
I'm now officially out of Mini-Eggs, but the shops at a local tourist-friendly mall were open and I was able to pick up a bottle of Cava to go with the lamb roast that's currently in the oven.  I'm going to call it a draw.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
Yes, quite the trouble to close all those shops for Mythical Jesus. Had to eat last frozen pizza.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
Not really.  If I were to make a list of things I think are worthy of the effort of my hating them then Easter would rank pretty low on it.  Besides, Friday was a paid holiday for me at work.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
I think of Easter as the culmination of spring break.  And who wouldn't want to celebrate the coming of spring?  As for the folks who aren't around, they are either traveling (which is good) or spending time with family, which is usually good. 

I've had a great day.  Woke up and my 6 year old looked for eggs, ate the ears off the chocolate bunny, and then we baked cinnamon rolls, at too many, and shared the rest with neighbors.  This afternoon we saw Cirque du Soleil Totem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem_(Cirque_du_Soleil) which was spectacular. 

I worked most of last week, and sent my daughter to soccer camp.  But we hosted my daughter's first sleepover on Thursday, and on Friday we had splurged and went out and got mother/daughter mani/pedi's in hopes that spring will really come and we'll get to wear open toe shoes. 

Tomorrow we are going to the Hayden Planetarium because my 6 year old has had a lot of questions recently about the origins of the universe.

Life is good. 

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-1
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:55:21 PM »
I like Easter. It's a nice day to relax. Peeps and chocolate bunnies are ok too. Everything coming back to life after winter dormancy is a pretty good basis for a holiday. I just ignore all the "He is risen" stuff.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »
What's not to like? Easter egg hunt[1] often pretty good weather, free holiday, and so much chocolate your liver will send you a cease and desist by lunch.

Plus, every year, around easter, Studio Brussels[2] does "The Heaviest List", all the top Metal songs they can fit into 6 hours, voted for by the listeners. Actually, that sort of makes it a religious holiday for me. Metal is my god and Iron Maiden is the savior (Eddie came back for your sins, you know) ;)[3]

Yeah, sure, you need to block out more religious lunacy than on other days, but still, good day, all in all.
 1. 'round here we tell the kids the church bells flew to Rome where the pope himself stuffs them full of eggs and they fly back ... yeah, it IS the first of the kids' tales they clue in to, how did you know? ;)
 2. radio
 3. In case you're wondering, http://www.stubru.be/media/dezwaarstelijst2013
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:40 AM »
Well, I'm playing Risen. That's kind of easterly ...

Other than that, a day off, nice weather, some chocolate, and birthday coming up.
No "Jesus died for you but not really" creeps wandering the streets over here though, so experiences may differ.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
I like the commercial, pagan side of easter.  I colored eggs.  I love coloring eggs.  I also like pickling eggs. 

I like the candy too.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
I do have fond memories of spending the week at my aunt's and her being the easter bunny (filling the baskets with candy). She never seemed to get it that I only liked the chocolate stuff. Either that or she was in kahoots with my dad, knowing that he'd get to eat all the other stuff.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
Does anyone else just hate these bullshit, arbitrary religious holidays?

Not really, I was due to work Sunday and today, but haven't. People also bought me some chocolate and I almost won a chocolate egg at work.

I think one good thing about religious holidays is the extra time you can spend with friends and family. Sadly though, my mum & sister are careworkers and my brother's a headchef, so normally we don't get that privilege. Still, I like the holidays.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
I've never really thought of Easter as a religious holiday, having been raised in a secular household.  The closest I ever came to that was seeing the "Afterschool Specials" where they talked about "The True Meaning of Easter(tm)", but it was always something that I regarded with a kind of... detachment, I guess, is the word.  I think I was too young to understand that some people actually believed that that crud was really true.

Now, as an adult, it's even less a part of my life than it was in childhood.  I have no children, so that's not a factor, and inasmuch as I almost never leave my house on Sundays in any event, there aren't really any societal aspects of it that affect me, either.

The closest Easter comes to impacting me isn't Easter itself, it's Good Friday.  A lot of people take Good Friday as a personal day, and in the workplace, that seems to be pretty much accepted as a given.  A month or so ago, my supervisor asked our team whether any of us would be taking Good Friday off.  (I pointed to my scarlet "A" lapel pin and explained what it meant.)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »
At our work everybody was given Good Friday off, I figured it was commonplace, except with certain industries. However, I was pretty stupid as Thursday & Friday were my days off as it's my weekend shift, but I agreed to work Thurs to make up for Easter Sunday. :s Still at least we got today off too.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Easter, or The Lord's Evening Meal was literally the only holiday we JW's were allowed to celebrate. And none of that pagan crap with baskets of candy and colored eggs and stuffed bunny toys, either! Meaning, it was a holiday but in true JW tradition, it was not supposed to be fun.

Just another, long Kingdom Hall service, spiced up once a years by passing around unleavened bread on a silver tray, and a chalice of wine. You were not supposed to partake unless you were one of the 144,000 chosen to sit at the right hand of god after Armageddon.

In our mostly black congregation, two incredibly elderly white ladies were the only members who always ate the crackers and drank the wine. Maybe they were chosen, or maybe they were scoring some free booze.

Anyway, nowadays I love Easter and every other holiday that is an excuse to eat celebration food, no matter what religion. Eid, Christmas, Diwali, Sikh Langar, you name it, I'll be there filling my plate. Maybe I'm making up for all the missed holiday meals, birthday parties and trick-or-treating growing up. :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 07:07:52 AM »
every other holiday that is an excuse to eat celebration food,

I'd skip passover and hannukha.  Their celebration food sucks donkeys.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »
I hate Easter because it's a celebration of the torture of Jesus.  The tender minds of my adolescent Catholic nieces are being abused by their Cathechism class watching Mel Gibson's Jesus snuff film, so in a 2-fer-1, they are learning that God shows his love by torturing his son to death, and they also learn to blame the Jews. 

That's my biggest beef against Xianity anyway...that it teaches people to conflate sado-masochism with love, to accept and celebrate torture, to abuse the minds of children, and to promote bigotry against other religions.

Thank heaven for the chocolate and the bunnies, perhaps they distract children somewhat from the ritualised cruelty.  But I doubt it...I grew up in a Xian house, and did love cholocate more than Jesus, but damn if the images of torture will ever leave me.  Of course, living in the USA, a nation which practices torture against its enemies, I am reminded daily of tortue. 

Bunnies are cute.  I'd be okay if Christianity dropped its Jesus fetish and just worshipped fluffy bunnies...long as they didn't start crucifying bunnies.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
I kind of like it. We don't normally have a holiday in April in Canada (odd that Good Friday was in March, though) and it's a nice break.

My kids like the secular aspect though - a couple days off from school and chocolate? Sweet!

What I don't care for is how it's slowly turning into Christmas part 2. I'll buy chocolate for the kids and do the easter egg hunt, but I refuse to buy them "gifts".

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
heh.  my friend, Mr. Blackwell:

I've said it before and I'll say it again,Fuck every holiday that causes my kids to expect me to spend money on a bunch of bullshit.

Christmas, Halloween, Valentines day, Easter
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
I heard a news report that merchandisers are trying to get people to give kids Easter toys in addition to just candy. We in the US are not buying the quantity of useless sh!t needed to keep the ol' capitalism machine pumping these days.  An egg coloring party, a new outfit, filling a basket with hidden candy and a fancy dinner are not enough anymore.

I guess Easter toys are an improvement on giving kids live bunnies and baby chicks that were mistreated, neglected and quickly abandoned to die, like in the bad old days when I was growing up. But why do US children have to always "get" something special?

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »

Facebook is mostly digital wasteland. If I didn't have a large family on Facebook who expect me to be there to communicate with them, I probably would dump my profile. We're currently using Facebook to organize another high school reunion since the last social site we used was turned off. So, Facebook has marginal utility for a normal person, and could have great utility if it weren't polluted with garbage like this:

^ That is mostly the better crap that I have encountered, and most of these things are reposted without a single additional/original thought. I have squelched Facebookers who post crappier crap or who do nothing but post crap. These are the same people who would forward an email that had already been forwarded 15 times and after scrolling and scrolling the crap would be at the bottom. I guess we can thank Facebook for extending the life of mouse wheels.

Facebook is the megaphone of choice for drunks, exhibitionists, excessively bored people ... and Christians, or any combination of thereof.

However, I have an alternate Facebook profile and I "friend" different people, some of whom I know but most of whom I don't. On my alt, none of my "friends" repost mindless crap. It's all original thinking, or at least some good explanations and conversations. It proves that changing who you are (mostly a name to hide from the constant chatter of family) and running with a different crowd makes Facebook a more pleasing experience.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
I don't mind Facebook b/c I can keep in contact with friends in different lands easily. But socially compulsive religious holidays...no those I can't stand. As a matter of fact, I can't stand pretty much ANY compulsive "celebration".
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 07:01:09 AM »
Wow Chronos-

Your facebook feed sucks. 

I actually really enjoy mine.  A huge percentage of posts are proud parents updating the world on their children's accomplishments.  There is more than I care to see about sports.  Commentary on current events.  And of course, there are cute kittens. 

But a lot of my friends share information, or even just pithy photos on topics of importance to them, and often those posts either inform me or remind me of issues of importance.    I apologize in advance for such a photo heavy post- but blame Chronos both for starting it, and for teaching me how to post photos here.

I pulled these off my facebook page from the last couple of days. 

And then the Easter themed posts included:

Easter Island :)

And my daughter's favorite Easter post:

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »
Poor citizens of Godless Heathen America, here in Romania where the One True Faith Of Orthodoxism makes God's good will shine upon us kids actually get presents for their Easter. I can't imagine what hell your children are living in year after year, brutally separated from the divine beauty of Capitalism. It is no wonder they all grow up corrupted with the likes of Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj for abominations like these can only come upon you for insufficient appeasement of Capitalism. Woe unpon the godless heathens! Glory to God Capitalism God!

Personally, I also blame gay marriage. :laugh:

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »
I had a great easter, I turned a bunch of wine into water.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
'round here we tell the kids the church bells flew to Rome where the pope himself stuffs them full of eggs and they fly back ... yeah, it IS the first of the kids' tales they clue in to, how did you know?

I'm stealing this for next year...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
I had a great easter, I turned a bunch of wine into water.

bada bing!