Author Topic: Ohio Amish Outhouses  (Read 936 times)

Offline shnozzola

Ohio Amish Outhouses
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
"Health violation: A county health board in northeast  Ohio says Amish outhouses pose a danger to neighboring homes because human waste  could leech into the groundwater."

‘Our goal is to uphold and maintain the  biblical principles of faith  which our forefathers believed: to be a separate  people,’ Yoder read.  ‘And, as stated in Romans 12th chapter, “Be ye not  conformed.”‘

............including plumbing.

http://engineeringevil.com/2013/03/27/ohio-county-condemns-two-new-amish-houses-because-they-have-outhouses-and-the-owners-refuse-to-install-modern-plumbing/
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Ohio Amish Outhouses
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
So what were the Amish using before modern plumbing?  Were they not conforming when everyone else was using outhouses?

I built an outhouse with the youth group of my old church.  A lady in the town who said she was a Zen Buddhist didn't have a bathroom at all.  We dug a huge hole and built a shack on top of it.  The minister saw this as part of a church outreach idea.  I can't remember if it was Illinois law or if it became a town ordinance but after it was built we were told that people could have and use outhouses but it had to have a septic tank to prevent leeching.  So is this group of Amish against pipes or metal tanks that have to occasionally be pumped out?
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
Do their principles of faith specifically say they are to befoul the water with their wastes? If their literal shit gets into the local aquafier, they are hardly "a separate people".
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
So what were the Amish using before modern plumbing?  Were they not conforming when everyone else was using outhouses?

I built an outhouse with the youth group of my old church.  A lady in the town who said she was a Zen Buddhist didn't have a bathroom at all.  We dug a huge hole and built a shack on top of it.  The minister saw this as part of a church outreach idea.  I can't remember if it was Illinois law or if it became a town ordinance but after it was built we were told that people could have and use outhouses but it had to have a septic tank to prevent leeching.  So is this group of Amish against pipes or metal tanks that have to occasionally be pumped out?

Even in the UK loos were like that at one time but it was discovered that the 'material' gets into the water system and wells causing serious disease. That's why proper sewage provision is so essential and how, in the UK as well as the rest of the developed world, we have safe sanitation and avoid water-borne pollution. If the fact that the bible doesn't mention septic tanks is the problem well the Amish will have to live with the problem. I take it they don't use modern medicine so if their water gets polluted they would just die off quicker.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »
Holy shit. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
But, the Romans had plumbing.  Are they supposed to live like Romans at the height of the Empire or are they supposed to live like europeans at the height of the Dark Age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_in_ancient_Rome
Public latrines date back to the 2nd century BC.
In the first century AD, the Roman sewage system was very efficient. In his Natural History, Pliny remarked that of all the things Romans had accomplished, the sewers were "the most noteworthy things of all".

So what is their flipping problem?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »

This had to be south of I80, no?

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
^Yea, no man's land.  ;)

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
I take it they don't use modern medicine so if their water gets polluted they would just die off quicker.
They do visit doctors that use modern medicine.  At least the ones here in Illinois.
http://www.amishillinois.com/amish/faq.htm
http://www2.etown.edu/amishstudies/FAQ.asp

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »

Just use wood instead of electricity.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:19 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:17:06 AM by wheels5894 »
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)