Author Topic: Planck results are in....  (Read 482 times)

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
Re: Planck results are in....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:16:49 AM »
This is truly awesome 8)

... and yet it's so counter-intuitive to the laypeople that they are, sadly, simply not impressed.

That's the impression I got from the news anchors in the video in this article:
http://news.sky.com/story/1067930/oldest-light-in-universe-picture-released

It's not something you can explain in 3 minutes, especially when you have to dumb it down for them.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +512/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
To some degree, science has just gotten too complicated to be easily understood unless you've made a genuine, focused effort to learn about it, or at least the basics.  Which is why the reduction in science education and science budgets is so bad.

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
... and yet it's so counter-intuitive to the laypeople that they are, sadly, simply not impressed.

I for one am very impressed - the colors are quite pleasing to the eye  ;)
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +472/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
From the link:
Another anomaly of these results is that temperature fluctuations are not uniform across the sky map. There are more variations in one direction than in another.
"Perhaps we could say that our universe has thrown us a curve ball, and it rarely fails to surprise us," said Krzysztof Gorski, Planck scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Personally, I’m surprised he’s surprised.

Imagine an explosion on a piece of sand or soft ground. Neither the hole nor the size and final position of the ejected material are regular and the further the material gets from the explosion, the less regularly positioned it will be.

I mention this as, last night on the news, this article was discussed and the tame professor was quite excited about the area of blue (little or no radiation) southwest of the centre. He was suggesting that this area might, by inference, help in solving the mysteries of the origin of the universe. But imagine those photos of water droplets hitting the surface – examine them and they are regular, but not that regular.

[/centre]
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce