Author Topic: I'm E.J.  (Read 1801 times)

Offline eaterjolly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I am a theist and I'm here to dispel misconception
I'm E.J.
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
I joined this website a long time ago; I'm probably the oldest member to come back and post something on here.
When I was 13 I responded to the Best Illusion Ever Video, and It landed in the mail bag.
After 21-pages and almost a whole year, the very patient man Hermes, unfortunately, gave up hope on me and banished me to the bottomless pit xD
But After almost 4 years I returned to say Thank You to any one patient enough to deal with me  ;D Bai
I'm back.. I've grown in faith and in dispute for the church, which cares more for itself than God!

I thirst for debate! I bet I can challenge everything thing you say about the faith! I'm only 15 so I can't be on all the time but I'll jump-on once in a while...

Do you accept my challenge?

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
Re: I'm E.J.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »
nibble nibble

Have you something to say?
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Online Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
I joined this website a long time ago; I'm probably the oldest member to come back and post something on here.
When I was 13 I responded to the Best Illusion Ever Video, and It landed in the mail bag.
After 21-pages and almost a whole year, the very patient man Hermes, unfortunately, gave up hope on me and banished me to the bottomless pit xD
But After almost 4 years I returned to say Thank You to any one patient enough to deal with me  ;D Bai

Your quote on the bottom says that you are 15.  You started at 13 and 4 years later you returned to say Thank you.  So are you 17 or are you 15???  I'd like to take you up on your challenge and debate your age because 13 + 4 equals 17.  Not 15.  Maybe you do math like a trinitarian and think that 1 + 1+ 1 = 1.
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
Your quote on the bottom says that you are 15.  You started at 13 and 4 years later you returned to say Thank you.  So are you 17 or are you 15???  I'd like to take you up on your challenge and debate your age because 13 + 4 equals 17.  Not 15.  Maybe you do math like a trinitarian and think that 1 + 1+ 1 = 1.
Maybe you should do some perfunctory checking before you post something like this.

He joined in Nov. 2008, so he joined more than four years ago.  That's probably when he was 13.  For the sake of argument, let's say he turned 13 in October.  He would have turned 14 in Oct. 2009, 15 in Oct. 2010, 16 in Oct. 2011, and 17 in Oct. 2012, but his last post before the 22nd was in September 2011, so he would still have been 15 then.  That means he would be 17 now, because it is currently March 2013.

Of course, this depends on what month his birthday is in, but frankly I just don't see this as being nearly as big a deal as you made it out to be.  It certainly isn't worth debating him over.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
So are you 17 or are you 15???

I'm going to say he's 17.   His sig is old and was accurate when he wrote it, but he did not update it.

Our little eaterjolly is all growed up. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Maybe you should do some perfunctory checking before you post something like this.

Wow, you're right jaimehlers!  I should have done some "perfunctory checking" before I posted this.  I just accepted eaterjolly's word that he was 15 in his last quote.  I remember I made this mistake once before when I actually accepted someone's claim before an investigation.  Oh yeah, the last time I took someone's word for it was when I was once a "christian" and I took god's word for it that his "scripture" is "inspired by god" (2 Tim. 3:16).  After I did some "perfunctory checking" I realized through biblical and textual criticism the bible cannot be god's revealed word. 

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
As Screwtape points out, the claim of being 15yo was not in his last quote.  It was in his signature.  And so what?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Online Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
As Screwtape points out, the claim of being 15yo was not in his last quote.  It was in his signature.  And so what?

"last quote" or "signature".  Po-tay-to   Po-tah-to!  (You like that Screwtape?)  I said "last quote" alluding to the fact that most people have some kind of "quote" below the line of their post.  "Signatures" maybe what they are called but I don't see too many "signatures" below the line of a post.

"And so what"?

Well, I don't want to waste my time debating someone if they don't even know what age they are!

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
Po-tay-to   Po-tah-to!

It makes a difference.  One of the parts, he wrote when he made the post.  The other, he didn't.

Well, I don't want to waste my time debating someone if they don't even know what age they are!

Riiiiight.  That's a reasonable explanation:  The guy literally didn't know what age he was and mis-guessed by 2 years!

What the hell made you select that as the most reasonable hypothesis?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 12:11:51 AM »
Wow, you're right jaimehlers!  I should have done some "perfunctory checking" before I posted this.  I just accepted eaterjolly's word that he was 15 in his last quote.  I remember I made this mistake once before when I actually accepted someone's claim before an investigation.  Oh yeah, the last time I took someone's word for it was when I was once a "christian" and I took god's word for it that his "scripture" is "inspired by god" (2 Tim. 3:16).  After I did some "perfunctory checking" I realized through biblical and textual criticism the bible cannot be god's revealed word.
It took me less than five minutes to resolve the 'discrepancy' in age, and I didn't even have to ask him a single question.  Just a bit of basic checking of post dates and simple logic to rule out the idea that he was lying (or wrong) about his age.  Checking which you clearly didn't do.

Now, I'd suggest you stop digging yourself in deeper here.  You made a mistake in judgment, but by trying to defend that mistake, you're making it much larger than it needs to be.

"last quote" or "signature".  Po-tay-to   Po-tah-to!  (You like that Screwtape?)  I said "last quote" alluding to the fact that most people have some kind of "quote" below the line of their post.  "Signatures" maybe what they are called but I don't see too many "signatures" below the line of a post.
It's irrelevant what you call it.  What the forum software calls it is a signature, no matter what is contained in it.  You can check this by going to someone's profile; assuming they have a signature, it will list it at the bottom of their profile under the word "Signature" in bold.  The part you were complaining about (his 'claim' that he's 15 years old) is part of his signature, and thus is not part of his last post, where he said he was 17.

Frankly, I'm sure there are other, better things you could be arguing about than whether he's actually 17 or 15.

Online Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
It took me less than five minutes to resolve the 'discrepancy' in age, and I didn't even have to ask him a single question.  Just a bit of basic checking of post dates and simple logic to rule out the idea that he was lying (or wrong) about his age.  Checking which you clearly didn't do.

Now, I'd suggest you stop digging yourself in deeper here.  You made a mistake in judgment, but by trying to defend that mistake, you're making it much larger than it needs to be.

Jaimehlers, I don't remember ever asking you to debate eaterjolly's age with me.  But you are really going to have to read my post more carefully.  I said I should have done some "perfunctory checking" before posting.  Where in that post did I try to "defend that mistake".  You need to take a deep breath and relax.  Your making this much larger than it needs to be.  I would have much preferred eaterjolly to just tell me his correct age than have to waste my time with you.  You need to read posts more carefully because it is clear in my post that I was not trying to "defend a mistake".  You can clearly see that I admitted to making a mistake by taking eaterjolly's word for it.  Furthermore, my post was directed to eaterjolly.  When a post is not directed to you I think it would be best if you just stay out of it.   

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »
Welcome back to the forum, eaterjolly.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »
Jaimehlers, I don't remember ever asking you to debate eaterjolly's age with me.  But you are really going to have to read my post more carefully.  I said I should have done some "perfunctory checking" before posting.  Where in that post did I try to "defend that mistake".  You need to take a deep breath and relax.  Your making this much larger than it needs to be.  I would have much preferred eaterjolly to just tell me his correct age than have to waste my time with you.  You need to read posts more carefully because it is clear in my post that I was not trying to "defend a mistake".  You can clearly see that I admitted to making a mistake by taking eaterjolly's word for it.  Furthermore, my post was directed to eaterjolly.  When a post is not directed to you I think it would be best if you just stay out of it.
Do you really think I'm not able to tell what you were actually saying with that response?

First off, I'm not debating eaterjolly's age with you.  I'm correcting your misunderstanding of his post and signature, that led you to you challenging him to a inane debate about how old he actually was.

Second, the way you put "perfunctory checking" in quotes made your actual meaning quite clear - that you were responding derisively to my post.  Indeed, you still are with this one.

Finally, regarding your statement that you made a mistake by taking eaterjolly's word for how old he was - in his signature, almost certainly written when he was fifteen - it was quite evident that you were only using that admission to springboard into a rant about Christianity.  All you really showed is how petty you're actually being in this thread.  Interesting, that all you seem to want now is for eaterjolly to tell you his proper age - especially given that you said again that you made a mistake by taking his word for it.

Honestly, what made you think challenging eaterjolly to a debate about his age was a good idea?  All it did was attract attention that you evidently don't like, from your responses to myself and Azdgari.  Frankly, I don't see why you're upset, given that posters on this forum get involved in things that they have nothing to do with all the time.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
I think this age thing has gone on long enough, guys.  Let's move on.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline eaterjolly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »
Rofl, I feel loved, I didn't expect this post to get this much attention xD

Welcome back to the forum, eaterjolly.

Well, I wasn't planning on staying; I just figured, I owed a few people a couple of apologies xP
I'm back.. I've grown in faith and in dispute for the church, which cares more for itself than God!

I thirst for debate! I bet I can challenge everything thing you say about the faith! I'm only 15 so I can't be on all the time but I'll jump-on once in a while...

Offline eaterjolly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
  Not 15.  Maybe you do math like a trinitarian and think that 1 + 1- 1 = 1.
: D