Author Topic: The Big Bang, and other explanations of universe  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
The Big Bang, and other explanations of universe
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
I was really surprised to see this AP article on my google news page.  I started reading it with great enthusiasm.  And then, when I got to the end, I looked for the button to go on to the next page, but there was no next page.  My first response was profound disappointment.  I felt like it was just a simplistic tease, with no real substance.  But then I read it again, and thought about it, and considered that it may in fact be an eye opener to many.

Anyone else get this on their google news page?  Any opinions?  Thumbs up?  Thumbs down?

The Big Bang, and other explanations of universe

By By The Associated Press – 1 hour ago   

The Big Bang Theory may be the last word on the origins of the universe, but it's far from the first.

Through the millennia, humans have asked: How did everything come into existence? Modern science's answer is the Big Bang Theory, which posits that the universe sprang in an instant from a sub-atomic fragment. On Thursday, European scientists said observations by their Planck space probe support the theory.

The ancients, however, did not have $900 million machines to plumb the secrets of the universe. By revelation or by imagination, they came up with assorted explanations:

ARISTOTLE: The world always existed, at the center of the universe.

CHINA'S PANGU LEGEND: In darkness and chaos, a cosmic egg is formed. Two forces — yin and yang — act on the egg, which cracks and gives birth to Pangu, a being who over thousands of years separates the sky and the Earth, and eventually becomes one with the universe (his head is the mountains, his breath the wind, his sweat the rain).

HINDUISM: God (Brahman) created Brahma, whose day lasts 4,320,000,000 human years. In the course of the day, Brahma creates the universe and destroys it, using fire and water. The next day, and every day for his 100-year lifespan, he does it again. Meanwhile, an infinite number of Brahmas are creating an infinite number of universes.

ZOROASTRIANISM: The god of light, Ahura Mazda, created an egg-shaped universe of good — first spiritual, and then, after 3,000 years, physical. Then he made the perfect man, Gayomard, and the first bull. Meanwhile, another god — Angra Mainyu — created an opposite universe of evil, which contained everything but humans, which he could not make. So he invaded the good universe and killed Gayomard and the bull. But their seeds grew into the world's beneficial living things, and into a plant whose leaves formed Mashya and Mashyana, man and woman. Angra Mainyu's incursion introduced the bad things in the world, including the dark of night.

ABORIGINAL TRIBES: In an era known as Dreamtime, supernatural beings shaped the land and created everything that lived there, including men and women and the laws under which they must live.

GENESIS: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." And then, over six days, God created the rest.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ij80FSsJODxBDzoDkY45vIzo3ZUA?docId=44ff3df27539457b85087448d9ba0c88

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +727/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: The Big Bang, and other explanations of universe
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
Other than containing no news, I see no reason to diss it.  :)

Are journalists getting so bad that they can just barely cut and paste? Do they really think the big news stories of the day revolve around ancient texts?

At least the writer didn't quote Kim Kardashian or Snooki. Though philosophical thoughts from either of them would have been approximately as legit.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »

I don't remember ever seeing something in the main stream press (not even in a magazine) that made the Christian creation story sound so silly. 

I wonder if Snookie and the Kardashian clan would agree. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +727/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »
Sure, maybe it didn't put the story in a good light, but what a lazy piece of reporting. Don't they usually just use ads for fillers?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Can someone explain how "Genesis" is considered an ancient human/group of ancient humans?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:20:29 PM by Backspace »
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »

I don't remember ever seeing something in the main stream press (not even in a magazine) that made the Christian creation story sound so silly. 

I wonder if Snookie and the Kardashian clan would agree.

After intensive consultation with Honey Boo Boo, I have come to the conclusion that this article is rubbish because they cited the Creation story of Genesis 1, rather than the one in Genesis 2, which is more authoritative because it gives us an excuse to hate women and knowledge.  Also, their omission of Last Tuesdayism is unconscionable.  Teach the Controversy!
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline su27

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • "Militiant" atheist
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
TBH, science doesn't give answers on the origin if the universe. Science can model our universe to the moment right after "the big bang" - we are unable to say what happened before (there was no time so there was no really any "before"), it is called singularity which means "we don't know (yet)". It is honest at least.
Religions, on the other hand, have all the answers.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
It's always worth reminding people of creation myths but the report would have been better if it had been "the Jewish creation myth. Here is a site that covers several myths in animation. OWrth watching in case you wish to annoy a godbotherer by being of another religion. http://www.bigmyth.com/2_eng_myths.html (The full version costs money)
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
Some people say the "Big Bang" is the beginning of the universe but like we don't know what was the universe before the "Big Bang" (maybe that the universe never existed before this event) why these people say that ? I prefer hear "This is probably the beginning of the universe". Some scientists like "Etienne Klein" (I don't know if he is a serious scientific because I only saw a video with him about "the Big Bang Theory" in French language) say that  "Big Bang" is maybe the beginning of the world or a part of this.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
Can someone explain how "Genesis" is considered an ancient human/group of ancient humans?

Phil Collins is only 62...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 05:27:41 AM »

Phil Collins is only 62...
To some, that is ancient, as my youth flees me rapidly I am more open to the prospect that 62 aint so bad... just something I can feel in the air, tonight, I guess  :laugh:

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
aww, Gawd, are you sure you not taking all too hard?
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
aww, Gawd, are you sure you not taking all too hard?
well, my mind is sharp...........sometimes. and my knee and back hurt all the time. Whenever I go to bars and clubs I used to enjoy I find myself pissed off at the college aged and newly graduated kids for no real reason at all. I dunno anymore... another day in paradise I guess  :'(

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
Well, you know the roof is leaking and the wind is howling, the kids are crying cause the sheets are so cold. I can hear through these walls, I can hear it when they're foolin' around. Doesn't anybody stay together anymore? Can't you see this is a land of confusion? I mean really, come on, I can't dance, but you're no son of mine!
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »
Are journalists getting so bad that they can just barely cut and paste? Do they really think the big news stories of the day revolve around ancient texts?

Reporters cut-and-paste, journalists actvely seek out news, facts and knowledge.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.