Author Topic: WOULD YOU EVER LOCK YOUR CHILDREN IN THE BASEMENT AND TORTURE THEM?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: WOULD YOU EVER LOCK YOUR CHILDREN IN THE BASEMENT AND TORTURE THEM?
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »
...There is no one correct interpretation...

I'd say the thousands of different interpretations are probably like lottery tickets - if you have enough one will be correct - correct that is to what the NT was actually trying to say though working that out is proving hard after 2,000 years. On the other hand, each single interpretation is, for the interpreter, True Christianity TM
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
What is hard to figure out is how people know that they have gotten the right interpretation, right version of Christianity, right church, etc. They were either raised in it or they liked the people who introduced it to them, or they found something about it that "feels right" to them. None of those things has any truth value.

Many people have been tricked into relationships and even marriage by people who claimed to love them. But they just wanted sex or money. Many people have been robbed, conned, swindled by someone who gave off a "good feeling". That's what con artists (like my late father) are experts at. 

Why is it that people don't recognize the same thing when it comes to religion? Could it be that people realize that there is really no accurate way to tell, so they just hope that picking any religion--like the one they grew up in, or the one with nice services-- is better than none? Kind of a blind Pascal's Wager? Or do most people not really even think about this?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
...There is no one correct interpretation...

I'd say the thousands of different interpretations are probably like lottery tickets - if you have enough one will be correct - correct that is to what the NT was actually trying to say though working that out is proving hard after 2,000 years. On the other hand, each single interpretation is, for the interpreter, True Christianity TM

I would argue that there was no "what the NT was actually trying to say". The NT is a collection of "books" (letters) from all over Judea. Specific religious "counsels" decided what letters to put into the scrapbook and which to leave out (hence guiding THEIR agenda). From the start, there was never just one Christianity. There were lots of contradictory views in those early days of it's inception (as Bart Ehrman points out) as to what actually happened and what people ought to really believe was "the truth". Personally, I think that's b/c Christianity was plagiarized from the start and lots of different people made up their own version as they went along (just like the other religions).
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
What is hard to figure out is how people know that they have gotten the right interpretation, right version of Christianity, right church, etc. They were either raised in it or they liked the people who introduced it to them, or they found something about it that "feels right" to them. None of those things has any truth value.

Many people have been tricked into relationships and even marriage by people who claimed to love them. But they just wanted sex or money. Many people have been robbed, conned, swindled by someone who gave off a "good feeling". That's what con artists (like my late father) are experts at. 

Why is it that people don't recognize the same thing when it comes to religion? Could it be that people realize that there is really no accurate way to tell, so they just hope that picking any religion--like the one they grew up in, or the one with nice services-- is better than none? Kind of a blind Pascal's Wager? Or do most people not really even think about this?

I would say this is because people have confidence that they can have another love (relationship) even after a failed one. But their fear of death isn't like that. Deep down, they are pretty damn certain that they are only getting one life (even if they are not honest about it) and so, to feel comfortable and "OK", they jump to a conclusion that seems to satiate their overwhelming appetite to know. "I must know. I have to have an answer! I just can't go on without it."

Absurd...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan