Author Topic: What a Waste !!!  (Read 430 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
What a Waste !!!
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
Poll out today that says 6 out of 10 Americans think the Iraq War was a mistake/not worth it.  Same for the other war as well.  I would have thought it might even be a little higher than that.  10+ years, 1000s of deaths among our troops, physical and mental disabilities, suicides...increasing all the time, families torn apart, civilians killed by the 100,000 of thousand, trillions spent and wasted...now coming back to affect all of our social programs.  Nero may have fiddled, but Bush now paints.  What a waste.  I saw a bumper sticker today on a truck while at Wal-Mart.  It said "Give War A Chance".  Pretty sad statement.  Maybe we will get this war thing right when we invade Iran and/or North Korea.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: What a Waste !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
Poll out today that says 6 out of 10 Americans think the Iraq War was a mistake/not worth it.  Same for the other war as well.  I would have thought it might even be a little higher than that.  10+ years, 1000s of deaths among our troops, physical and mental disabilities, suicides...increasing all the time, families torn apart, civilians killed by the 100,000 of thousand, trillions spent and wasted...now coming back to affect all of our social programs.  Nero may have fiddled, but Bush now paints.  What a waste.  I saw a bumper sticker today on a truck while at Wal-Mart.  It said "Give War A Chance".  Pretty sad statement.  Maybe we will get this war thing right when we invade Iran and/or North Korea.

Apparently as long as you're president, you can get away with anything. Rethuglicans think Obama is doing that right now with the economy, but if their guy can get away with lying in order to attack a country and kill hundreds of thousands, I'm pretty sure Obama can get away with saving the auto industry and bailing out the economy.

It came out recently that the reason Nixon had his henchmen break into the Democratic offices at the Watergate was because he assumed that they knew that he personally sabotaged the Hanoi peace talks in 1968 while running for president (he told the North Vietnamese to stop negotiating for peace until he took office because he would give them a better deal if he got elected). He was hoping to steal the evidence, whatever that might be. What Nixon didn't know was that Johnson knew about it but wouldn't release the information, which he had secretly and correctly defined as treasonous, for some weird personal or political reason. So Nixon hung himself not knowing there was no need to. At least there is justice in the world, sometimes.

As for the American servicemen who were thrust into the two recent wars, it has to be noted that far more have committed suicide due to PTSD than have died in either of those countries due to combat or IED's. The same went for Vietnam vets. Apparently very few consider that cost when ranting for more war.

addendum: Of course what Nixon told the North Vietnamese and what Nixon actually did after elected were two different things. Americans aren't the only ones who get f**ked over by politicians. These days the people of Iraq know that all too well.

Oh, here is the Nixon story for those of you wanting a little Sunday morning enlightenment. The insight into Nixon is fairly recent:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21768668
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
The sad thing is that 5 out of 6 of those who now believe that the Iraq war was a mistake or not worth it (the overwhelming majority of the Iraqi people would not believe it was worth it) are Democrats.

It's also sad today to hear the scare talk about mushroom clouds that people swallowed hook, line, and sinker.  What a contrast to hear Bush spew that type of pro-war propaganda to the picture of him sitting in a chair in that classroom with a look like a deer caught in headlights while he listened to the story being read about the pet goat.

Let me relate a story I read about 10 years ago when the attack on Iraq began that I found moving.  I was in the Chicago are and there were massive protests against attacking Iraq.  There was a young military man in full dress uniform that was trying to drive his car through an area where there were thousands of demonstrators.

It got to the point where his car was surrounded and he became worried as it became clear that the protestors wanted him to get out of his car.  When he finally got out many of the demonstrators shook his hand and embraced him saying that although they disagreed with the war they hoped that he would return home safely.

This young soldier was very moved by what was a surprise reception to him by all of these demonstrators that he told the reporter he never felt so cared for in his life by so many people he did not know. 

Unfortunately the demonstrations petered out over the years until there just seemed to be a begrudging acceptance of the wars.  Where have these 6 out of 10 been all these years?  Had there been continued large anti-wars demonstrations the war would have ended years ago.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »
I think part of the problem was that the Bush administration kept it a clean war as far as the US saw it.  Pics of dead returning solders was not allowed and the war was not being paid for so we did not feel the pinch like in past wars.  We went on with our lives getting feed how "exceptional " we were.  I think Dick Cheney is responsible for a lot of that.  He is an evil man but a smart one.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +403/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 02:04:37 AM »
All the money spent makes me wonder, if the World Trade Center had been destroyed by a meteorite, would we have colonies on Mars by now?
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »
How many World Trade Centers could we have built with all the money wasted on these wars?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:04:27 AM »
Oh, here is the Nixon story for those of you wanting a little Sunday morning enlightenment. The insight into Nixon is fairly recent:

fuck Gerald Ford for pardoning him.  sonofabitch should have been sent to jail.

I understand wanting hell.  Because for some of our worst criminals there is no justice.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
War is traditional - I'm sure that this list is no better or worse than the UK's

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/12/we-re-at-war-and-we-have-been-since-1776/
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »

fuck Gerald Ford for pardoning him.  sonofabitch should have been sent to jail.

I understand wanting hell.  Because for some of our worst criminals there is no justice.

That was sneaky too. The reason Nixon picked Ford to replace Agnew was that Nixon and Ford were buddies, but nobody knew it. And what else does a buddy do but pardon his best friend if the chance arises.

The worse part was that he was pardoned for a relatively minor offense, albeit one related to his more egregious one. He should have been roasted over the coals for his part in interfering with the peace talks.

As should Bush/Cheney/everybody else complicit in the lies that started the Iraq war.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.