Author Topic: Manifest Destiny crock and religious terrorism  (Read 467 times)

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
Manifest Destiny crock and religious terrorism
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
Historian William E. Weeks has noted that three key themes were usually touched upon by advocates of Manifest Destiny:
the virtue of the American people and their institutions;
the mission to spread these institutions, thereby redeeming and remaking the world in the image of the United States;
the destiny under God to do this work
.[21]
The origin of the first theme, later known as American Exceptionalism, was often traced to America's Puritan heritage, particularly John Winthrop's famous "City upon a Hill" sermon of 1630, in which he called for the establishment of a virtuous community that would be a shining example to the Old World. In his influential 1776 pamphlet Common Sense, Thomas Paine echoed this notion, arguing that the American Revolution provided an opportunity to create a new, better society:
We have it in our power to begin the world over again. A situation, similar to the present, hath not happened since the days of Noah until now. The birthday of a new world is at hand...

This country I was born in (barely Hawaii).. has been touting devine rights from the Atlantic to the Pacific since the late 1700's. It is too bad that us atheists are just now able to get a glimpse via our vast data bases of knowledge, how religiously corrupt our society is. I know some of you are in the UK or other countries. But this is rotten. It makes me a little pissed Im 'mercan. It is going to take lifetimes of US(not U.S.) protesting (not in the streets) the debauchery of religion in all flavors to make a dent. Will there ever be success. Maybe we will only have small battles won.

The gubby should be held accountable for its treachery in the last few centuries, with religious intent and backbone on trial. So Gross.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Manifest Destiny crock and religious terrorism
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
So that is where Reagan took his "shinning city on the hill" speech from.  The far right and FOX News has been preaching this "American Exceptionalism" for years now.  Part of the reason the rest of the world looked down on us.  You get tired of the "My dad is better than your dad" thinking after a while.  And we (the USA) have nothing to brag about.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
American exceptionalism now wears the guise of 'humanitarian interventions,' the idea that unless the USA gets involved in a situation, some kind of genocide or human rights abuse will occur. 

Apologists for the American debacle in Afghanistan are still holding onto BS about US soldiers making schools and protecting womens' rights.  That is, when our soldiers aren't killing and scalping civilians in that country. 

There are lots of wars and human rights abuses, but the USA seems to pick and choose which ones to get involved in according to some kind of hidden agenda, no doubt relating to some concept of hegemony, which is the modern euphemism for empire. 

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »
American exceptionalism now wears the guise of 'humanitarian interventions,' the idea that unless the USA gets involved in a situation, some kind of genocide or human rights abuse will occur. 

Apologists for the American debacle in Afghanistan are still holding onto BS about US soldiers making schools and protecting womens' rights.  That is, when our soldiers aren't killing and scalping civilians in that country. 

There are lots of wars and human rights abuses, but the USA seems to pick and choose which ones to get involved in according to some kind of hidden agenda, no doubt relating to some concept of hegemony, which is the modern euphemism for empire.
The seem to be silent on this new North Korea thing. puzzling
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)