Author Topic: It's about time to tell some believers to F**K OFF!  (Read 930 times)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
It's about time to tell some believers to F**K OFF!
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
This story is so frickin' ridiculous:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/family-research-council-we-should-punish-premarital-sex-we-never-gave-young-people-the-right-to-do-it/

This representative of his group universally claims that "we never gave young people the right" to have premarital sex.

Now if the dude wants to stand up and say to his parishioners in his church, and says so in a way that makes it clear that it applies only to his people, I can live with that. But to imply that "we" never gave "permission" to anyone on the planet to get laid before saying their vows, holy crap!

Our biology dictates when the sex is going to happen much more effectively than vows dictate. Granted, this at times causes innumerable problems, but to think that an edict from on low like this will change anything is like assuming that outlawing alcohol will go well. This is not how real issues are handled.

The gaul of the Family Research Council is overwhelming. First christians claim marriage as their own, then try framing their entire message around the concept of family, which they keep at a mythical level. The christian version of all of this is as mythical of their god.

Sorry, I'm just irked. The people agreeing with this stance are most likely also agreeing that we have a right to own guns. Lucky them. They have another way of getting off.

Jerks.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
Re: It's about time to tell some believers to F**K OFF!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
I'd prefer that folks like him continue to come forward and make it clear that they believe that they are the moral arbiters of America and that it irks them that they aren't allowed to shackle people as much as they'd like.  The more often people see the mask slip, the easier it becomes for them to realize just how dangerous religious fundamentalists can be if they're given sufficient support.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Says the followers of the god who made Mary pregnant before she got married[1]...
 1. To someone else

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +533/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
Says the followers of the god who made Mary pregnant before she got married[1]...
 1. To someone else
Oh, but that was YHWH, don't you know?  It's apparently only wrong if people do it.  *eyeroll*

Seriously, even when there were laws to prevent nonmarital sex, it still happened.  All.  The.  Time.  And not just with adolescents, either.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
Well you gotta have some hypocricy in your church, otherwise the sinning wont be any fun.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +809/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
Some surveys reveal that a majority of couples who married in the post-war 1950's were either pregnant (and that's why they got married) or already having sex at the time of the wedding. So much for the idea that people in the past always abstained before the wedding night. &)

The entire concept of the nuclear two-parent family as the ideal is a recent invention, anyway. Even marriage is not quite as old or settled as many people think. Poor people have routinely lived together without formal ceremonies because there was no inherited property to pass on, so virginity and paternity were not as important. In the past, children were often raised communally, family was defined through the matrilineal side, and the mother's brother might be the main dude in the kid's life.

That's why this religious intrusion into where, how and with whom people live, and whether, when, and with whom they have sex, is so offensive. They devise rules and policies based on made-up, imaginary sh!t, and then try to force people to conform to their fabricated version of the world. If a majority of people won't or can't follow your social rules, maybe you have screwed-up rules.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
They have been given the right:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

It always makes me happy...
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
The Christian right is moving more and more towards the Tailban each day.  This probably has to do with birth control available with Obamacare.  So much for getting the gov out of your life.  And I agree...the need to hear Fu*k Off more often and made fun of quite often.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »
Well, I bet that guy never read about David and Bathsheba and their goings on. Nor has he heard about all the children father by RC priests since celibacy was the rule. Heck, maybe none of it matters as long as he is in charge and he gets what he wants - maybe from his mistress?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
You know, I kind of get gleeful and giddy when I hear the religious right spew that brand of foolishness.  I mean, they are really not going to win the hearts and minds of today's youth by suggesting that we "punish, corral and shame" sexually active young people. 

Keep it up guys.  Good job. 

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
Some surveys reveal that a majority of couples who married in the post-war 1950's were <snip> already having sex at the time of the wedding.

Man, those must have been some fun weddings!
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »
The Christian right is moving more and more towards the Tailban each day.  This probably has to do with birth control available with Obamacare.  So much for getting the gov out of your life.  And I agree...the need to hear Fu*k Off more often and made fun of quite often.
Lets just be thankful they do not pull us out of our houses bury us in the ground and throw rocks at our heads til we are dead,like they are doing in other parts of the world..........yet that is
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »
Preach it brother PP!  It is healthy to let off steam when it builds up.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +809/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
Some surveys reveal that a majority of couples who married in the post-war 1950's were <snip> already having sex at the time of the wedding.

Man, those must have been some fun weddings!
In some cultures, the couple gets into the marriage bed and goes under a blanket right in front of the wedding guests. Can wait too long to start making that baby.  :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +57/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Man, I wasn't aware that rights came from the Family Research Council!

These idiots really need to get over themselves.
Denis Loubet

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »
Some surveys reveal that a majority of couples who married in the post-war 1950's were either pregnant (and that's why they got married) or already having sex at the time of the wedding. So much for the idea that people in the past always abstained before the wedding night. &)

In the middle ages amongst the peasant class it was not uncommon for the betrothed to wait to get knocked up before getting marriage.  The groom wanted to be sure his potential bride was actually fertile and vice versa.  At least, so I have read.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.