Author Topic: Smoke signals  (Read 1020 times)

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
Smoke signals
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
Shouldn't the fact that these geriatric cloaks are giving smoke signals to communicate to the public be a launchpad for the news flash of the stupidity of religion?

Caveman communication, caveman logic. Caveman religion.

SHOULD BE EXTINCT!

And don't play like the catholics are the only practicers of barbaric logic. Really think about the implications.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Smoke signals
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Like molesting alter boys,it is tradition more than anything else I think.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »
What do you think is really going on behind the locked door?
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
To what exactly are you referring, carsten?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »
They use smoke because they haven't discovered mirrors yet.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
They should jump ahead a few centuries and use a plane that writes in the air with smoke. ;)  NO POPE YET , DOPE.

There is not one among the 115 cardinals that can save this church from itself.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
Buttfuckers.

Amen.

"Holy, holy, holy, Lord. God of power and might. Heaven and earth are full of your glo ho ho reeeeee(glory)! Hosanna . . . in the highest!!"(sung to "The Tune of the Dick Suckers")
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
4th century thinking requires 4th century technology.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »
I would think that the idea of believing in a god being who decided to spread his message by oral tradition, followed by written words that are now only scraps of paper, all of which includes zombies, sorcery, and wheels covered in eye balls might be enough to make people think. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
Just elect a new human conduit to god and get this shit off the front pages.

Unfortunately we will get a month of front page biographies when they do elect a new Poop Pope.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »
I would think that the idea of believing in a god being who decided to spread his message by oral tradition, followed by written words that are now only scraps of paper, all of which includes zombies, sorcery, and wheels covered in eye balls might be enough to make people think.

Especially since it has been three generations since the atom has been split. Seriously Applied atomic science is now older than most of the member of Congress, yet here's America, a first world contry, where to say you don't believe in a God who spread his message by oral tradition, followed by written words that are now only scraps of paper, all of which includes zombies, sorcery, and wheels covered in eye balls, is political suicide!  &)
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
Why all the electing ?

Surely God knows who he wants to be his conduit on Earth and has in fact already decided as it is part of his plan. So why not just point a big holy finger through the window (can be done behind closed doors with the 115 cardinals so that the populace doesn't lose faith as they know he exists) and just say in a big booming holy "I Pick you pope-achoo"

Or just use another burning bloody bush or something. A burning nuns bush would be funny.

Maybe a message written on teh bare butt cheeks of whichever altar boy they are abusing in there ?

Pedoyahweh approves

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
... So why not just point a big holy finger through the window (can be done behind closed doors with the 115 cardinals so that the populace doesn't lose faith as they know he exists) and just say in a big booming holy "I Pick you pope-achoo"

Or, to further minimize the threat to faith, tell only the chosen pope, who then must declare that God told him he's the new pope. Inevitably there will be several others who also claim to have heard the voice of the lord. To resolve this, they can fight it out in a papal death match. God's chosen is sure to be the winner, and everyone's faith will be left intact, except for the new pope, who will surely be damned to hell after serving God for the rest of his days.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
A burning nuns bush would be funny.

Not to the nun.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +823/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Now a burning George Bush-- that would be a sign of god.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »
To what exactly are you referring, carsten?

Thats pointed. I guess Im getting at the fact that a language so far removed from relevance (smoke signals) that it should be GONE. Lets all break out the abacus for completing this years taxes.

I loathe with every strand I am that some things no matter how ridiculously out dated the are stick around due to tradition and stubborn non-thinkers.

LETS ESTABLISH AND DEPLOY TECHNOLOGICALLY CURRENT TOOLS TO SOLVE WORLD PROBLEMS. AND RETIRE ALL THE OLD METHODS AND THOSE WHO REFUSE TO COMPLY. LETS START WITH THEISM's CLAIMS AS CREDIBLE AND HELPFUL.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:10 AM »
Umm...what I mean is that I have no idea why this came up.  There's no news link anywhere in this thread, and I'm at a bit of a loss here.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 02:50:42 AM »
Umm...what I mean is that I have no idea why this came up.  There's no news link anywhere in this thread, and I'm at a bit of a loss here.

It's in reference to the use of smoke to report the progress of voting on a new pope. Black smoke = still voting, white smoke = decision reached.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »
I like the seagull's attitude towards all this. To him, the pope chimney's only significance was as a convenient place to rest up and pick off some parasites.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
Foolish human...that's no seagull.  It is the Holy Spirit in the form of a Seagull.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +823/-6
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
Foolish human...that's no seagull.  It is the Holy Spirit in the form of a Seagull.
Okay, you made me do this, so on your head be it. And may the holy seagull "pass over" your Prius and anoint your fundy neighbor's Hummer.

The book was silly, the movie was cheesy, but the soundtrack was and still is the single most awesome thing Neil Diamond ever did. If he had only made  this one album and then quit showbiz, maybe I would still believe in a god....

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
This morning I woke up to the 'news' &) that: "... the pope has returned to his hotel to pay his bill in person ......"

How is this worthy of 'news' :-\  as if it's some indication of his style and humility.  He obviously just hasn't got used to all the butlers, servants, secretaries, security :police: , toe suckers, and angels now at his disposal.
Git mit uns

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
Well, it was a slow news day.  I watched CNN yesterday morning, and according to them, the only things going on in the world were the wait for the smoke, Valier Harper’s cancer, and the fact that Taco Bell has a new nacho cheese thing, but that it is not available in all Taco Bell locations yet.

So, The Pope Pays Hotel Bill seems like a reasonable follow up to a slow news day.

There were a few other stories of relevance yesterday and today.   The International Space Station got a new commander, and three astronauts returned safely to earth.  There is increasing evidence that life might have been brought to earth on a comet, and increasing evidence of water on Mars.  Detroit is about to explode.  Rioting in Brooklyn for the third night in a row, after a 16 year old kid was shot 7 times (mostly in the back, it appears) by police.  US immigration reform legislation is being drafted by the “gang of 8,” and there is this thing called a sequester going on.  Bombs exploded and killed people in Iraq and Syria and Pakistan, and probably a bunch of other places I don’t know about.  The stock market soared, but somewhere, somebody’s home was foreclosed on.  A lot of kids, in the US and around the world, went to bed hungry.  And on a personal note, I got an invite to attend a memorial service for Hugo Chavez at the Venezuelan consulate[1] but I had a conflict.  Oh.  And a local supermarket in my neighborhood locked out their union employees, and replaced them with non-union staff. 

Now that I think about it, nothing brings humanity together like the image of the pontiff displaying the humility of paying his own hotel bill. 
 1. not sure how I got on that mailing list, but I think it has something to do with a past relationship with the Bolivian consulate

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
The pope also rode over to the hotel on a bus with the other carinals and got a cab to take him back to the vatican.  I bet those in charge of security are going to have a nightmare trying to keep him alive.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
The pope also rode over to the hotel on a bus with the other carinals and got a cab to take him back to the vatican.  I bet those in charge of security are going to have a nightmare trying to keep him alive.
Who would want to KILL the Pope? ;)
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
So, The Pope Pays Hotel Bill seems like a reasonable follow up to a slow news day.
On the other hand, "Pope pays hotel bill with coin taken from mouth of a fish he'd just caught" would've been worth changing the channel for!

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:31 PM »

If, due to constant threat of assassination, the leader of your religion can only appear in public surrounded by bulletproof plexiglass, doesn't that pretty much prove that any god that may exist doesn't support your beliefs?
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »
If, due to constant threat of assassination, the leader of your religion can only appear in public surrounded by bulletproof plexiglass, doesn't that pretty much prove that any god that may exist doesn't support your beliefs?

Wouldn't it be nice.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +823/-6
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »

Where is god's protection? People specially chosen by god to lead deserve bulletproof vehicles. The rest of us schmucks can just take our chances. It does seem to be strange that becoming Pope increases your chance of being shot at. And if he is shot at, isn't it god's will?