Author Topic: No No to Atheists  (Read 568 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
No No to Atheists
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
Atheists were denied their attempt to march in this weekends St. Patty's Day Parade in Kansas City, Mo.  I guess we don't have the luck of the Irish.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: No No to Atheists
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
No to worry Nick - I'll bet there will be atheists marching in that parade, just not as a distinct group.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
The comments implied that it was okay to deny the atheist group a permit because the parade was a private event about a Christian religious figure. Think about the holiday parades you have been to.  Are all the floats from churches, with marching bands composed only of priests? They have the Muppets and Santa Claus in the Christmas parade. What church do they represent?

Most parades have commercial cartoon characters, school bands, young girls dancing around in sparkly outfits, clowns, military personnel, beauty queens and other local celebrities, businesses promoting their goods and services, and groups representing local cultural or social issues. Small town parades are one of the few cool things left in the US not completely homogenized.

Again, why not the atheists of the community? :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »
I bet they would have come up with a cool idea if included.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
Most likely it was because we, as a group, don't believe in leprechauns.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
Most likely it was because we, as a group, don't believe in leprechauns.
I had not considered that.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
I bet they would have come up with a cool idea if included.

How about marching dressed as snakes, since St. Patrick drove them out of Ireland. I wonder what kind of car he used, and how he got all the snakes to use the seat belts? Or the atheists could carry real snakes and people would be cool with that, because they would be mistaken for Pentacostals.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
How about marching dressed as snakes, since St. Patrick drove them out of Ireland. I wonder what kind of car he used, and how he got all the snakes to use the seat belts? Or the atheists could carry real snakes and people would be cool with that, because they would be mistaken for Pentacostals.
Are the snake handlers Pentecostals?  A branch off of the main group?  The several Pentecostal services I attended never included snakes.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »
Are the snake handlers Pentecostals?  A branch off of the main group?  The several Pentecostal services I attended never included snakes.
They are an offshoot of the Pentecostals, with churches mainly in the coal regions of Appalachia.  Many have been bitten, some have died and their orphaned children end up in the hands of the state. Some also drink rat poison. If they survive, it is because of their faith in god. If they die, obviously they did not have enough faith.

It is a very sad phenomenon when you learn more about it. I saw one documentary and the overwhelming, crushing poverty and isolation of the people in these dusty mountain communities made me understand why they do this.

Their water and forests are ruined by the mining companies, they contract black lung, then when all the coal is dug out, they are left unemployed and sick with worthless polluted land. They either don't vote at all or vote for the candidate who sounds the most religious. In other words, these people are so screwed.

From an objective perspective, these people have grabbed onto god, faith and heaven with everything they have, because they have given up all hope of anything good happening here on earth.

But at least they aren't atheists, so they'd be able to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade.