Author Topic: Pope wants "Poor Church for the Poor."  (Read 231 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Pope wants "Poor Church for the Poor."
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
So the new Pope wants something but I am not sure. That was the headline on NBC News http://www.nbcnews.com/

At first I thought he intends on giving up the enormous wealth of the Catholic Church (represented by the Vatican and all of the pomp and circumstance of the Cardinals, Bishops and churches). But then I thought that would be suicidal for the Catholic Church to leave itself broke. So what does he mean and why couldn't he say so?
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Online shnozzola

Re: Pope wants "Poor Church for the Poor."
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
I read the article too.  I like that he says the church should be poor.  I also wish he'd say that  the time for treating homosexuality as wrong is over.   And I wish he'd say that the church should stop persecuting women that choose abortion, and support their right to make whatever decision they feel is correct for themselves.  And that the church should allow priests and nuns to marry, and assist in the legal prosecution of priests that have abused children.  That would be a start.

In another version of his words ( not in NBC) he   "urged journalists to seek "truth, goodness and beauty" in the world.  He also said, "Since many of you do not belong to the Catholic Church and others are non-believers, from the bottom of my heart I give this silent blessing to each and every one of you, respecting the conscience of each one of you but knowing that each one of you is a child of God. May God bless all of you ,"  much as theists that come here and "know" the god we do not believe in blesses us.
   &)
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: Pope wants "Poor Church for the Poor."
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
With the many law suits from child sexual abuse he may get his wish.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!