Author Topic: Syrian cleric issues fatwa forbidding the killing of raped girls  (Read 453 times)

Offline su27

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • "Militiant" atheist
wow, just wow
now its time for the new pope to put anathema on priests who rape children

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Syrian cleric issues fatwa forbidding the killing of raped girls
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
Islam does not seem to have any central flow.  Seems any cleric can issue whatever when they feel like it.  They seem to be getting closer to the 13th century.  That's good. :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +826/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Islam is not a centralized religion. There is no "pope" telling everyone what to do. It is less like Catholicism and more like Hinduism or buddhism, where there are different schools of thought and different leaders who various people decide to follow.

That is a good thing, I think, because you get sensible people saying intelligent, progressive things, and there are always people who follow them. They don't get the most media attention, though. That is always reserved to people who are ignorant violent kooks.

As for the OP, well, yeah. Welcome to planet earth, where we are supposed to punish the perpetrator of the crime, not the victim of it. Being female is not an invitation to assault. Unless they want to lock up people who get mugged, because they should not be walking around with wallets full of money? &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
Help us Count Dooku, you're our only hope!  :o  Seriously though, it's good to see at least some compassion directed toward girls and women in Islam.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Matt__

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Help us Count Dooku, you're our only hope!  :o
Thank you for making me laugh so hard.