Author Topic: Reading suggestions for young teen  (Read 347 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
Reading suggestions for young teen
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:40 AM »
My daughter is the young teen in question here (eleven). She's an avid reader and has so far read all of Roald Dahl[1], Harry Potter, Warrior Cats, Narnia, Grey Hunter, Geronimo Stilton and the horror fellowship[2].
She recently started reading Lord of the Rings and Jules Verne.
But, we're running out of things to read. (She gave Watership Down a try but didn't like it)

So, anyone know any series, preferably set in a fantasy world, mild horror is ok but not a requirement, with, maybe, a female hero? Single books are ok too, but at the rate she reads, I'd prefer series. Nothing too obscure as it needs to be available in Dutch (she starts learning English at school next september).

Oh and Ursula Leguin is not an option, hardly any of her work is available in Dutch.
 1. Well, the stuff targeted at kids anyway
 2. it's a Dutch thing, don't worry, you don't know it
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline su27

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • "Militiant" atheist
Re: Reading suggestions for young teen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
Definitely Pratchett's Discworld - "Small Gods" teach her all about religion. And there is no better female hero than Granny Weatherwax :)

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
Hitchhiker's guide, Douglas Adams.

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
The Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy has awesome female heroes, but I have no idea whether it'd be available in Dutch.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:09:41 AM »
- Pratchett ... hmm, unsure about that one, I'll check around

- Hitchhiker's guide ... I actually own it! ... In English though, so I'd prefer to keep that one stored away for another year or two

- Dragonlance ... apparently there was a bit of a flurry of translations only last year! So this should keep her busy for a while.

keep em coming people, keep em coming
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
Not sure what's available in Dutch, but what about:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
anything by Stephen King, if she's into fantasy, perhaps some of the Dark Tower series will be more suitable?
The Braided Path by Chris Wooding
Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (it's about a Sky Pirate flying an airship...you could say it's the steampunk equivalent of Firefly)
Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (I'm currently reading it, however, it does tend to use bad language)
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (I've avoided the film like the plague, so I don't know what it's like, but it has a slight sci-fi twinge to it and the main character is female). When I was a teenager I read most of Ishiguro's stuff. There is some sex in Never Let Me Go, so I don't know if you feel that's appropriate for your 11 year old, but heads up anyway. I also liked An Artist of a Floating World as well, but it's about the second world war and is set in Japan, so I don't know if it's her cup of tea.
1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, if she's looking for something more serious, I read these in my teens too.
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

For horror, why not get her into the classics with some Edgar Allen Poe and HP Lovecraft? I wonder if they do the Necronomicon in Dutch? It's a good sized compilation of his stories. If she's into reading manga, or you want to get her started, then anything by Junji Ito is worth it, Uzumaki might be a good horror to start with, it's definitely weird enough. ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:30:38 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »
I've never really been into fantasy but maybe The Wizard of Oz books or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its followup Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

I was always a detective story guy so Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Sherlock Holmes were my childhood books.  If you're ever into looking for a change of pace you may want to give them a try.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson