Author Topic: The simulated reality argument.  (Read 396 times)

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
The simulated reality argument.
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
Do you believe in the possibility that the entire universe that you and I are both currently existing in is nothing more than a computer simulation? If that would be the case, what do you think the motives of our programmer(s) would be, and if we are indeed living in an artificial world and it/he/she/them is in complete and total control over our fabricated reality, would that not technically make them our God(s)? I am agnostic but I do believe this is a very real possibility, and seeing how fast technology is advancing, it wouldn't surprise me that in a couple or more thousands of years from now human beings would have the technology to simulate an entire universe, or at the very least an entire planet.  If the above is true, how would that affect you knowing you were living in a simulation? Would that make you believe in an afterlife and the possibility of a heaven or hell?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:56:54 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: The simulated reality argument.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »
I know right now that serious research is being done to confirm or disprove whether or not the universe is a hologram.

I doubt that we are merely a program, but I have no proof either way. Nor does anyone else. From my limited knowledge of programming, I assume that programs themselves have no awareness; that it is the programmer who knows what is going on. So if we are programs, I would think we would merely go through the motions without awareness. Granted, that's what republicans do, but not everyone. So I tend to dismiss the possibility. But only on emotional grounds. I don't know enough to make the final decision for either myself or others.

An interesting thought though. If we're not real, what is real? What would real reality look like? Hopefully it is more than just a giant computer chip in the sky.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
An interesting thought though. If we're not real, what is real? What would real reality look like? Hopefully it is more than just a giant computer chip in the sky.
That's a good question and I'm sure that the real answer would be unlike anything we could have ever expected. It's also possible that outside of our simulated reality, is another simulated reality. Example: We create a simulated reality that is set in a time period of around 2013 A.D, and we observe them until our simulated reality guinea pigs gain the technology to create simulated realities, and they create a simulated reality of their own with their own simulated reality guinea pigs, and eventually they gain the technology to create simulated realities and the whole process repeats itself over and over again. The whole idea is quite fascinating. Just imagine that maybe there are thousands of simulated realities existing outside our simulated reality. It is indeed interesting to think wonder what true reality is like.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:28:17 PM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Matt__

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »
Regardless of the nature of reality, we may as well label our (human) existence as an analogue to a computer simulation. Our lives, objects, memes, experiences, etc, are the result of relationships between the changes in what we label physical reality. In much the same way the existence of the car in a video game is defined.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »
I would guess that this is a question based on 'The Matrix' films, but it actually stems from the early 1600's, when Rene Descartes penned in his 'Meditations' the idea of an 'Evil Demon' who sat on your shoulder and deceived all of your senses, to make you believe you were in another reality. He ended up concluding (through some very shitty circular reasoning - look up the Cartesian Circle) that God existed, and wouldn't allow a demon to deceive us.

It's basically an Empiricist vs. Rationalist debate. Do you trust your senses, or only trust what you can know innately?

I tend to go with the idea that there is no answer, and accept the following statement instead:

'Cogito ergo bibo vinum.' - I think therefore I drink wine.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);