Author Topic: If God made an eternal Hell, what makes xians think Heaven will be any better?  (Read 688 times)

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
I wouldn't at all be surprised that if their God really did exist (hypothetically) That their God tested xians for nothing more than their gullibility and profound stupidity. I can imagine xians in the afterlife ascending to the pearly gates waiting to be given the keys to paradise only to have their God appear before them and mock them for believing in such absurd nonsense. I can picture such an insane God actually making Heaven a much worse place than Hell. God in the Bible seems like a pretty big troll to me, afterall. I wouldn't be surprised if Heaven is actually Hell and Hell is actually Heaven. Xians have both of them totally mixed up but they just won't be aware of it until they meet their loving sky daddy.  &)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:59:43 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
I always wonder why xtians are so certain that god wants to spend eternity with a bunch of mindless drones anyway. I would think it more likely he would want to reward those that see through the BS and go their own way. It might just be a massive gullibility test. If god actually exists, I imagine him up there saying, "Jesus H. Me, I've given 'em disease, famine, natural disasters, completely ridiculous dogma...what do I gotta do to make these fools quit kissing my ass and think for themselves!"
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +793/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
At best, heaven will be a bunch of run-down condo's that won't last anywhere near an eternity. And god, no longer incentivized by ass-kissing because he's tired of his butt being wet, won't even build new ones.

And that's my optimistic view. Ask me about my pessimistic one sometime. Just hope that I don't answer.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
It always amazes Me that believers think that a Hell-creating god can be trusted.  Does.  Not.  Compute.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Heaven.  A land of milk and honey where the streets are paved with gold.  Who wouldn't want to go there?

America was once described that way to the teeming masses in Europe for whom living was a day to day struggle.  Imagine if they were told they could get on those ships that sailed west to America to have that life.  Now imagine if nobody ever returned to the old country to tell about their experience in the land of milk and honey where the streets were paved with gold.  Now imagine that in spite of any clear evidence or first hand testimonial witness that people still willingly and enthusiastically bought the story and the hope of the land of milk and honey where the streets are paved with gold.

I can imagine it because people still do it all the time, only they call that destination "heaven". 

Personally, would I be forced to spend eternity praising a god whose existence I denied and who I viewed as a psychopath, along with having to spend eternity with people whose very existence I found to be revolting with their small, greedy, and judgmental minds--that would be hell.

What a cruel joke, hoax, and con is the heaven/hell concept.

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
I always wonder why xtians are so certain that god wants to spend eternity with a bunch of mindless drones anyway.
That seems to be what god wants.  From Revelations, chapter 4:

8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. 9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, 10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

And that, friends, is Heaven.  Your opportunity to spend eternity reminding god just how swell he really is.  Which is the place where you suffer forever and ever?  The lines are getting a bit blurred.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
I think it was KCrady who wrote a very detailed post about what heaven would be like. With scripture, and everything, to back up his thread.

From what he wrote Heaven sounds kind of boring to me.

EDIT: found it

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,14549.msg321931.html#msg321931
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:01:59 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
From what he wrote Heaven sounds kind of boring to me.

Remember the original movie "Bedazzled" and that bit where Dudley Moore starts praising god like would happen in heaven and after a minute he got really bored with it?  Evidently the Supreme Being has a Supreme Ego as well.

Now if I were a scientist/inventor who created androids who could grow intellectually and who I could teach and they could learn what is right and what is wrong, that it is better to be altruistic and nongreedy, treating others as you would want to be treated and they had free will and choice to do that or not, or just follow that path the best they could--I would say, "be free, go on your way, do the best you can".   I would trust them knowing that some would undoubtedly make bad choices, disappoint me and break me heart while others would be a delight and most would be ok.  It's like having kids--in the end they are your kids, good, bad, or otherwise.

I don't understand why a creator would demand his creation to bow, yield, kneel, praise, and worship him/her/it.  Deserving of it or not, what a massive ego.  Maybe god is just insecure so he needs to have his ego continually stroked.  It really is pathetic.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
Don't forget what the Bible says will be happening on earth.

And there shall come forth a shoot out of the stock of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots shall bear fruit.

2And the Spirit of Jehovah shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.

3And his delight shall be in the fear of Jehovah; and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither decide after the hearing of his ears;

4but with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth; and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

5And righteousness shall be the girdle of his waist, and faithfulness the girdle of his loins.

6And the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den.

9They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of Jehovah, as the waters cover the sea.

Isaiah 11:1-9

Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Heaven like the Spag of the believer,is anything the believer thinks it is. A family reunited,72 virgins,living out your dream as a race car driver,having the dream of your amputated limb back in place. Ask 1000 believers what heaven is you will get 1000 different answers
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
Don't forget what the Bible says will be happening on earth.

And there shall come forth a shoot out of the stock of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots shall bear fruit.

2And the Spirit of Jehovah shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.

3And his delight shall be in the fear of Jehovah; and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither decide after the hearing of his ears;

4but with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth; and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

5And righteousness shall be the girdle of his waist, and faithfulness the girdle of his loins.

6And the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den.

9They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of Jehovah, as the waters cover the sea.

Isaiah 11:1-9
I really don't understand that mumbo jumbo. You would think that a supposedly perfect God who had it's every word written by human beings would have made "The perfect living word of God, the Bible" easy to understand, without thousands of parables, and hundreds upon hundreds of contradictions and scientific impossibilities. A perfect God who would have written in it's own words in a book would amaze and cause readers to be speechless and in awe and think to themselves "Perhaps this truly is the word of a God, for I have never heard such wisdom in my entire life from any human being, even the greatest of geniuses have I not heard such great things." However, this isn't the case for any rational intelligent human being. Instead of awe and amazement, humans who have the capacity for logic would read it and be confused, and disgusted, and not think of the Holy Bible to be the factual work of a God like deity, but a lunatic.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:22:53 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
I don't make friends easily. Sometimes I look around at a group I am around and try to imagine living with some of those people forever. Just can't do it. I can hardly stand being with them for just a few minutes now and then.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
I don't know but if I'm going to be kissing God's ass for an eternity there had better be a forever supply of chap stick.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!