Author Topic: Any other gamers here on WWGHA?  (Read 790 times)

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
Any other gamers here on WWGHA?
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:12:38 AM »
I'm a fairly young individual (25) and one of my most treasured hobbies is video games. I like many types of games, from First person shooters, Role playing games, pretty much any kind of genre of game. My personal favorite genre is JRPGs (Japanese role playing games) The Final Fantasy series, my favorite FF being 7. I also greatly enjoy massive open world RPG games like Fallout, and the Oblivion series.

Here's a list of my favorite video games in no particular order.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy 4,5,6,7,8,10,Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance A2, Dissidia
3. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
4. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
5. Fallout 3
6. Fallout New Vegas
7.Elder Scrolls Oblivion
8.Elder Scrolls Skyrim
9. Duke Nuken 3D
10. Seiken Densetu 3 (Part of the Secret of Mana series, unreleased outside of Japan)
11. Portal 1
12. Portal 2
13. Super Mario 64
14. Halo 1
15. Doom 64
16. Counter Strike Source
17. Starcraft 2
18. Starcraft 1
19.Age of Empires 1
20.Age of Empires 2 and expansions
21. The Sims 1 and expansions
22. Warcraft 3
23.Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne
24. Diablo 1
25. Diablo 2
26. Diablo 3
27.Super Mario Bros (Nes)
28. Mario Party
28. Yoshi's Island
29. Mario Kart 64
30. KKND2 Krossfire (An under appreciated, little known real time strategy game similar to Starcraft)
31. Pokemon Red (Gameboy)
32. Streets of Rage 2
33. NBA Jam (Sega)
34. Super Smash Bros

..And I could keep going on and on... and on, all of them great games. What are your favorite video games?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:15:01 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Re: Any other gamers here on WWGHA?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
Of all time? Across all platforms?

C64:
  • Great Giana Sisters
  • Defender of the crown
  • Bard's tale II
  • Road War Europe
  • Rock 'n Wrestle
  • Hek Tik
  • Miner 2049'er
  • Uridium
  • Bounty Bob
PC:
  • The entire Civ series
  • Sim City 2000
  • Lemmings
  • Transport Tycoon
  • Settlers
  • Doom I and II
  • Wolfenstein (the original)
  • Centurion: Defender of Rome
  • Pirates!
  • Goal! (little known text based game by Wizard Ltd.)
  • Silent Hunter I
  • Europa Universalis II
  • Ascendency
  • Rome: Total War
  • Heroes of Might and Magic IV
  • FIFA Manager 07
Online:
  • Hattrick.org
  • vow.plit.dk
Console:
  • FIFA 09
Nintendo:
  • FIFA 08
  • Raw vs Smackdown (forgot which one ... the first one to feature Punk)

Management and strategy games mostly ... some footy, wrestling and (ancient) shooters.
I definitely suffer from One-More-Turn syndrome ;)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »
Too many games for me to think of and type out so here's my top 5.

1. Fallout 3
2. Secret of Evermore (Snes)
3. Earthbound (Snes)
4. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
5. The Legend of Zelda series (hard to pick one)

Lurve me some adventure games.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
Hardest thing is to select a Top-XX

1) Age of Kings: Conquerors (Love Mongols and Huns)
2) Halo: Combat Evolved
3) Trine 2: Directors Cut
4) MS Flight Simulator 2004
5) GTA2 (The old map view version)
6) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Loved playing it with my daughter)
7) Super Mario
8 ) The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
9) Mario Kart
10) Company of Heroes

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
As a father of a three year old, I don't have as much time to play as I used to.

My son does like to play the couple Wii games that we own (Super Mario Kart, Sports game that came with the system) but I have to help him (I steer and he holds down the accelerator button).
I will occasionally play World of Warcraft but I have not renewed my subscription so I play the free version which means that I can't play my high level characters. I recently helped my son create a panderian character on my account so he loves to play "bear" so we use it as incentive for potty training (not going very well).

I also will occasionally play some Counter Strike Source <---such a fun game. and sometimes will go back to Half Life2 <---great replayability.

I loved Portal. Also, a few months ago finished Bioshock. Unfortunately don't have much free time to try newer games although I would like to.

Not really into console anymore.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
Call of Duty

And I would really like to talk to others who play COD.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:20 AM »
Ive wittled my gaming down to about 3...

Madden (whatever year)
NBA Live/2K (whatever year)
and...............
Metal Gear Solid

Just got Metal Gear Solid Rising Revengence............... and YEAH BUDDY!! Love it.

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »

Madden (whatever year)
and...............
Metal Gear Solid

Just got Metal Gear Solid Rising Revengence............... and YEAH BUDDY!! Love it.
I've never got into sport games, NBA JAM for the Sega Genesis was great and also seems to be widely popular with many old school gamers, but it's the only sports game I've ever played. I don't like realistic sport games for the simple reason that I could go outside and play football, or basketball if I wanted to. I enjoy video games because I can "be someone or something I could never be in reality." If you enjoy sports games that's great, but they would bore me to tears. Metal Gear Solid is a great series, and one I didn't add on my list but should have but I didn't have the time to list all my favorite video games, if I did I could go on until next Friday. I haven't played Revengeance yet, I'd like to eventually someday though.
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »
Call of Duty

And I would really like to talk to others who play COD.
Never played COD, I've heard many great things about it and while I kind of enjoy first person shooters they're far from my favorite genre of games, and I don't play them often.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
*Raises hand*

I like Pokémon, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty and Battlefield, to name a few
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
I am a big gamer, I love video games. Also, there's a WWGHA group on Steam (click) if anybody's interested in joining.

Some of my favourite games include:

RPGs:
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X
Fable 1, 2 & 3
Neverwinter Nights
Lost Odyssey
The Last Remnant
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3

Arcade:
Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, CD, 3D, Adventure 1 & 2 and heck Generations is beginning to grow on me
Jamestown (indie)
Echoes+ (indie)
Audiosurf (indie)
Beat Hazard (indie)

Puzzle:
Anti-Chamber
Portal 1 & 2

Action/FPS/Shooter
Half Life 2
Bioshock 1 & 2 (excited for Infinite)
Hitman Series
Thief Series

Adventure:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Loom
All Monkey Island games
Primordia (good indie title)
Longest Journey
Oddworld Abes Oddysee & Exoddus

Horror:
Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Amnesia
LIMBO

MMO:
Final Fantasy XI. I still play it and am psyched about the new expansion. Also, I wrote a review for a website (click).
Star Wars: The Old Republic - fantastic game, it's just EA/Bioware handled it badly.

Strategy:
Anno 2070
Age of Empires I, II and III
Civilization V
Shogun: Total War 1 & 2

Given I am behind on my PC gaming hardware, I actually ordered a new PC on Tuesday, now waiting for it to arrive. It's moderately spec'd, I wasn't looking to spend too much, the aim was to get something that'll mean games will look great but look to upgrade parts in the future.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Black Edition (6-Core 3.5ghz)
Operating System:  Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM:   8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case:  Xigmatek Asgard 382 Window
PSU: 550W Corsair VS
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:47:29 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »

Madden (whatever year)
and...............
Metal Gear Solid

I've never got into sport games, NBA JAM for the Sega Genesis was great and also seems to be widely popular with many old school gamers, but it's the only sports game I've ever played. I don't like realistic sport games for the simple reason that I could go outside and play football, or basketball if I wanted to. I enjoy video games because I can "be someone or something I could never be in reality." If you enjoy sports games that's great, but they would bore me to tears. Metal Gear Solid is a great series, and one I didn't add on my list but should have but I didn't have the time to list all my favorite video games, if I did I could go on until next Friday. I haven't played Revengeance yet, I'd like to eventually someday though.

I could go out and play... but I'm well beyond my prime or even well beyond athletic!
Live/2K and Madden are like religion on college campuses...so I just kept it up and now that we can play online.........

But MGS is my love. Its not even one of those play over and over games, yet I still do. I wish I could go back and play #1 on my PS1.

But growing up me and my buddies played all sorts of games. I remember endless hours of Bomber Man on Sega Channel. WWF Raw, Street Fighter on NES. Mortal Kombat on SNES & Genesis. Countless hours of Sonic the Hedgehog. I had that damn Sega 32X and used to play Virtua Fighter all day. Time Killers, Doom, unlimited hours of Doom. Resident Evil 1 & 2.

OOOOOH I cant believe I forgot, I also play war strategy games... lots of Command and Conquer.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »
Basically I play or have played COD, Fable, Civilization series, the entire Halo series, Crysis 2, the Splinter Cell series, and Minecraft.  Basically on a Minecraft fix as of late.

Essentially I play anything but sports games.  Never got into them.  I'll just play sports in real life.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:00:12 AM by Irish »
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
Horror:
Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Amnesia
LIMBO

Amnesia is a game I've heard great praise, but I've never played it. It is a game I would love to play sometime. Since you are a fan of some horror genre video games, have you ever played the Silent Hill series? Silent Hill 2 is my favorite out of the series, and it has an absolutely fascinating and deep storyline. Basically the premise of the story is that this man in his mid 20's named James Sunderland receives a letter from his late wife Mary who had died three years prior to the story due to some terrible illness.  James mentions that it is without a doubt in her handwriting and the letter says that she is alive and is waiting for him in their "special place" in a town called Silent Hill where the two once went on vacation. Even though James sees it is without a doubt her handwriting he questions the letter saying "I received a letter, the name on the envelope said Mary. It's ridiculous, couldn't possibly be true, that's what I keep telling myself. A dead person can't write a letter. Mary died of that damned disease three years ago." Regardless, James decides to visit Silent Hill to try to find his late wife, however he never could have expected nor was he prepared for the horrors that awaited him when he arrived at the town. The story is so exquisitely twisted and has so many psychological elements to it that it is in my opinion one of the greatest games ever made. It is a terrifying experience and is one of the most memorable games I've ever played.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:24:52 AM by J0SH »

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
I don't really count as a gamer.  I've been an on-again, off-again WoW player, and I only bought my first console (an Xbox 360) about a month ago.

It's a bit odd, I bought the Xbox mainly because I wanted to be able to play Halo 4.  However, I've hardly touched Halo at all and have instead been spending all of my time playing Skyrim.  Even at that, I'm pretty casual, to say the least, about gaming.  The bulk of my time in Skyrim is spent wandering around the map admiring the scenery and the realism of things like the whitewater rapids.  (I'm old enough to have had an Atari 2600 when I was a kid, so I definitely have a basis for comparison.)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »

Madden (whatever year)
and...............
Metal Gear Solid

I could go out and play... but I'm well beyond my prime or even well beyond athletic!
Live/2K and Madden are like religion on college campuses...so I just kept it up and now that we can play online.........

But MGS is my love. Its not even one of those play over and over games, yet I still do. I wish I could go back and play #1 on my PS1.

But growing up me and my buddies played all sorts of games. I remember endless hours of Bomber Man on Sega Channel. WWF Raw, Street Fighter on NES. Mortal Kombat on SNES & Genesis. Countless hours of Sonic the Hedgehog. I had that damn Sega 32X and used to play Virtua Fighter all day. Time Killers, Doom, unlimited hours of Doom. Resident Evil 1 & 2.

OOOOOH I cant believe I forgot, I also play war strategy games... lots of Command and Conquer.
Oh yeah, Command & Conquer... I spent countless hours of my childhood playing C&C and C&C Red Alert, as well as the Sonic games for the Genesis. Resident Evil 1 & 2 were great games as well. Oh how I wish I could go back in time to where I was 11 years old again. Games were always so much more "magical" when you're younger.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:04:45 PM by J0SH »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
Its been a long time since I've played video games, but I love table-top gaming. Hero, GURPS, White wolf and the like.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Its been a long time since I've played video games, but I love table-top gaming. Hero, GURPS, White wolf and the like.  ;D

Another tabletop RPGer, here. Most versions of D&D and Traveller, Call of Cthulhu, some HERO and GURPS. I've also used R. Talsorian Games' Mekton Z system quite a bit lately; it has a cinematic style reminiscent of anime.

Never really got into video games, though I do like some MMOs; played City of Heroes on and off for 4 years. Will probably try Warcraft and Champions Online when I upgrade my PC in a bit. My nephew currently adores Minecraft, so I hope to play that online with him.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
I used to be into computer games.  Lately though, I've not gotten into them.  The only thing I really play is Star Wars Battlefront 2.   Kinda sick of real time strategies.

I prefer tabletop games.  I used to do a lot of D&D. But I like Catan, Dominion, Munchkin, zombies!!!, and I dabble in magic occasionally.  I don't play any of them often.  I need to make more time for my gaming friends.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
Ooh, I just played Munchkin for the first time on saturday. It was great fun! I have a very limited pile of board games, but I do have Settlers of Catan. A very good game!
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
....Silent Hill 2 is my favorite out of the series, and it has an absolutely fascinating and deep storyline...

Indeed. I loved Silent Hill 2. The creepiest and most disturbing video game that I have ever played.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 02:20:50 AM »
No one into Sub Sims? Really?

Ah, man, the epic battles I've fought! Diving in the path of a 20 ship convoy and when right in the middle, letting loose with all tubes. Then evading the escorts by diving under a sinking oil tanker, only to surface on the far side and blasting the destroyer with the deck gun as it tries to get around the tanker. Yes, yes, utterly unrealistic, but still fun.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
I used to like filght sims. My favorite was Janes USAF.  I've not found any awesome flight games since then.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.