Author Topic: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1  (Read 14506 times)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Re: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
It is believed that the closest planets similar to earth might be 13 light years away.
So, choose your "odds of life developing" and consider the first point is 13 LY from earth.
If one does travel at light speed, earth will dust before they return.
"Relativity" speaking.

Hey, Sky, you just have to get over this "earth to dust" hangup of yours. The timeline for such things is so beyond human scales that there is no need to worry about it. None whatsoever. You keep talking like it is in our immediate future. We've got lots of crap to deal with in the near-term, but the planet turning to dust is not one of them.

Find some less irksome personal flaw to amplify.

No, I talk about it as science does, as the predicted future.   
As a result, it points to a Creation event where all matter came into being.
And science has added additional news that it was a one time event, not to be repeated.

But you keep taking it personally, like it is a horrid and upcoming event.

You're a little simplistic in your science in the above. Yes, there apparently was a "big bang" event, from which the matter in our universe sprang. And yes it will decay over time. A process that will take many more billions of years longer than humans can possibly survive. And you are being simplistic calling the results "dust", because stuff will simply decay back to basic elements and energy. And yes, it is a one time event for this universe, but there is reason to believe that are multiple universes, and the Big Bang we experienced may be a common event, if one looks at all of reality. We don't know that for sure, but that is one of several possibilities.

You and I have less than 100 years each to live on this planet. I'm down to my last ten or twenty. The long term stuff is of course interesting, but I see no need to use woes that far in the future to sadden my life now.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »

I always stop reading the moment people start making assumptions about my background. 

Oh my Darwin, this is f'ing priceless.

What a hypocrite you are. And like the "best" hypocrites, you don't even see it. Suddenly I feel sorry for you.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »

I always stop reading the moment people start making assumptions about my background. 

Oh my Darwin, this is f'ing priceless.

What a hypocrite you are. And like the "best" hypocrites, you don't even see it. Suddenly I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for anyone over the age of 12 who thinks Noah's Ark was real. Kinda like a grown man believing that Santa will give him presents if he asks nicely. Oh, wait. :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2013, 02:19:51 AM »
[sorry old post]
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-89
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:37 AM »

That's the Fathers job, not mine.   I am opposed to evangelism.

We are already in Hell.  Heaven is an option to choose to get out of our current state. 

They have to ask God.  That would be different than cursing God.
Do you know what happens when my adult son curses me?
I give him the gift of freedom from my tyranny.  As does God.

There is no need.  Those who reject God experience internal TORMENT.  Thirst, flames, all that.
Have you ever been "tormented"?   It is a self inflicted condition.  Not to be confused with torture.

He did have a chosen people.   They produced His son and they carried out the task of conveying the message
of salvation.  Open the book and read it again.  The jews did not get fluffy pillows to sit on and eat figs back then, and they don't now either.

It's "do not murder".   I've had neighbors who were killed and eaten.  Some people who commit lethal crimes just need to be put to death.  It's not revenge.  We just can't live with such people alive in our midst.

All are sinners. God is not harmed at any time.

You would show this same love if your boyfriend murdered your baby?
http://badbreeders.net/2013/05/14/bad-boyfriend-sodomizes-and-strangles-baby/

Then why are you here?  You are a contradiction to yourself.

So now we're punished for just being born? :o  My life can sometimes be difficult but it's not hell.  Thanks to the trust I have in God.  Many atheist enjoy and embrace life.  They find peace and joy too.  So if they have some hell coming it would be a God inflicted punishment for not believing.  That is not love.

I would not torment my child for rejecting me.  Children only reject bad parents.

They also murdered Jesus on a cross!!! :o

The commands were not limited to murder.  You could get stoned for committing adultery or being homosexual.

When you push someone away from God  you hurt God and the person you have pushed away.

I would try to forgive.  It would be my guess that this boyfriend was abused as well.

These people are asking God to reveal God to them.  They are asking and not getting an answer, especially not from you.  Anyway you totally missed the moral to that example from Jesus.  So if I ask God right now to spare all humans from hell, whether they believe or not, what do you think God's answer will be?

Take care Sky and may God open your eyes and your heart.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »

That's the Fathers job, not mine.   I am opposed to evangelism. We are already in Hell.  Heaven is an option to choose to get out of our current state.  They have to ask God.  That would be different than cursing God. Do you know what happens when my adult son curses me? I give him the gift of freedom from my tyranny.  As does God. There is no need.  Those who reject God experience internal TORMENT.  Thirst, flames, all that. Have you ever been "tormented"?   It is a self inflicted condition.  Not to be confused with torture. He did have a chosen people.   They produced His son and they carried out the task of conveying the message
of salvation.  Open the book and read it again.  The jews did not get fluffy pillows to sit on and eat figs back then, and they don't now either. It's "do not murder".   I've had neighbors who were killed and eaten.  Some people who commit lethal crimes just need to be put to death.  It's not revenge.  We just can't live with such people alive in our midst. All are sinners. God is not harmed at any time. You would show this same love if your boyfriend murdered your baby?
http://badbreeders.net/2013/05/14/bad-boyfriend-sodomizes-and-strangles-baby/

I am not here to convince anyone of anything.  People don't all have
the same motives for their actions. 

So now we're punished for just being born?

Being born into Fallen world feels exactly like that. 

My life can sometimes be difficult but it's not hell.  Thanks to the trust I have in God.  Many atheist enjoy and embrace life.  They find peace and joy too.  So if they have some hell coming it would be a God inflicted punishment for not believing.  That is not love.I would not torment my child for rejecting me.

As I said, torment is not torture.  Torment is when you screw up your own life.

Children only reject bad parents.
All children disobey their parents.

The commands were not limited to murder.  You could get stoned for committing adultery or being homosexual.When you push someone away from God  you hurt God and the person you have pushed away.

I don't take credit for the actions of others.

I would try to forgive.  It would be my guess that this boyfriend was abused as well.
  But you'd still have him locked up from society and not continue to live with you.

These people are asking God to reveal God to them.  They are asking and not getting an answer, especially not from you.  Anyway you totally missed the moral to that example from Jesus.  So if I ask God right now to spare all humans from hell, whether they believe or not, what do you think God's answer will be?
They would not be happy in a place they reject.  It would be like living inside insanity.
It would still be hell for them either way.

God only promised to answer all prayers "In his name".  Like a credit card with God's name on it.  He has to approve all purchases or he closes the account.

Take care Sky and may God open your eyes and your heart.

Thanks June.  Your kindness is appreciated.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +413/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »

And this would have been a great opportunity to answer junebug72's question of why you are here.  I'm sure junebug72 realizes that people all don't have the same motives for their actions.  You want her to just guess what yours are or would you like to clarify what those motivations are?  If you don't care to disclose your motivations, you are always free to just say so.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »

And this would have been a great opportunity to answer junebug72's question of why you are here.  I'm sure junebug72 realizes that people all don't have the same motives for their actions.  You want her to just guess what yours are or would you like to clarify what those motivations are?  If you don't care to disclose your motivations, you are always free to just say so.
I enjoy good conversation even with people I don't agree with.
It is very difficult to respond politely to an insult like
"You are a contradiction to yourself."

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »
God only promised to answer all prayers "In his name".  Like a credit card with God's name on it.  He has to approve all purchases or he closes the account.

You're a bit off track here. Christ (allegedly) said if you ask anything in his name he would do it, among many things regarding doing magical things for those who "believe" (see Mark 16, John 14, etc). Did you not know this? In fact, that is the main premise of this site. It is precisely because we don't see these things happening that we have good reason to doubt the claims of your religion (just as we have good reason to doubt the claims of other religions as well).

So far, all we hear are excuses - rationalization after rationalization - spin, spin, and more spin. Why is that? Is it really that hard? Why can't you just demonstrate the claims you believe Christ said? Could it be because you know you can't, and it makes you uncomfortable, so you just make up excuses?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-89
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2013, 05:39:46 AM »

I enjoy good conversation even with people I don't agree with.
It is very difficult to respond politely to an insult like
"You are a contradiction to yourself."

I'm sorry you feel insulted but how else can I tell you that you are making contradictions in your words.  You said you don't approve of evangelism but yet you're here making claims about God.  The last thing I want to do is be insulting to you.  I should have been more loving in the way I spoke to you.  I am truly sorry.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:42:14 AM by junebug72 »
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-89
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »

Then why are you here?

So now we're punished for just being born?

Being born into Fallen world feels exactly like that. 

As I said, torment is not torture.  Torment is when you screw up your own life.

Definition of TORMENT

: the infliction of torture (as by rack or wheel)   -or eternal fire-
: extreme pain or anguish of body or mind : agony
: a source of vexation or pain

Now that we have an accurate def. of torment we can get back to defining Love. 

Children only reject bad parents.

All children disobey their parents.

I don't take credit for the actions of others.

All children do not reject their parents.  Only bad parents get rejected. 

I am not asking you to accept responsibility for others actions.  I am merely trying to get you to correctly define the actions as unloving!!!  I hold you responsible for what you say. 

But you'd still have him locked up from society and not continue to live with you.

I would also try to rehabilitate the man.  This is still a lot less cruel than stoning him would be. His crime is way worse than not believing in the mysteries of God.  God is better than me, IMO.

They would not be happy in a place they reject.  It would be like living inside insanity.
It would still be hell for them either way.

Thanks June.  Your kindness is appreciated.

See this is what I'm trying to get you to realize.  You say these things about God and you hurt.  Your words are nuclear.  Why would Loving God not want to answer my prayer?  What gives you the right to say Loving God would close the account?  That is not LOVE.

Love:The English word "love" can refer to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from pleasure ("I loved that meal") to interpersonal attraction ("I love my partner"). It can refer to an emotion of a strong affection and personal attachment.[1] It can also be a virtue representing human kindness, compassion, and affection—"the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another".[2] And it may describe compassionate and affectionate actions towards other humans, one's self or animals.[3]-wikipedia

Skywriting your religion does not define a Loving God.  It's not God's fault, it's not Jesus's fault, it's the people on the ground saying things like you just said that is to blame.  For six thousand years people have been making God look cruel.  Don't you think it's high time to start making God look like LOVE?
Thomas Paine

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
See this is what I'm trying to get you to realize.  You say these things about God and you hurt.  Your words are nuclear.  Why would Loving God not want to answer my prayer?  What gives you the right to say Loving God would close the account?  That is not LOVE.

I have been warned by the forum staff not to preach.
So the only examples I can give are illustrations
or paraphrases of scripture. 

By forum rules, I can only post my poor restatements
of what scripture says.

Jesus said he was giving His life for our salvation. 
Love has no greater definition than that. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:42:22 PM by SkyWriting »

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
I'm sorry you feel insulted but how else can I tell you that you are making contradictions in your words.  You said you don't approve of evangelism but yet you're here making claims about God. 

I am here because the URL of the forum asks questions about God.
I have a relationship with God, so I have a few answers on some
questions. 

Often, i don't respond to questions where I don't have an answer.

For example, a forum moderator insisted in green font that I answer a question about what a bug
under the flooring should believe about the people walking overhead if they don't kill him.

I'm going to assume this is critical from now on and will bring up the bug under the floorboard
topic as often as I can apply it.  Just because I want to fit in here.

God is like the person walking above and we are like bugs.   For bugs to gain forgiveness from the
"big shoes" we need to dialoge with the being first.  Once we are on speaking terms with the "big"
we can ask for forgivness for eating the floorboards.  But until we get on speaking terms, there is
no forgiveness because there is no dialog.  We may get stepped on, we may live another day.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
SW

So in other words, god uses a whistle and only dogs can hear it, but us non-dogs, if we close our eyes and believe real hard and click our heels together three times, then we can hear it too. Right?

Why didn't your god, back when I was 8 and 9 and 10 and going to Sunday school, etc. whistle for me and let me know he was there, even in just some tiny little way. Enough of a way to cause me to doubt when I started thinking that maybe he doesn't exist? If he is real and if he has superpowers he would have known way back in 1961 that I was starting to look at the world differently and that I was headed towards non-believing and all he had to do was one little tweet on his god whistle to make me reconsider.

Probably couldn't be bothered.

Of course you're going to answer that you don't know why god does the things he does, or in this case, doesn't do, because, you know, he had his street cred to worry about. Operating in mysterious ways and all that crap.

Other than warm fuzzy feelings and the illusion that you get to live forever in heaven because you've been a good boy, what do you get out of being a believer? What are the real-world benefits for you. Are you earthquake/tornado/hurricane proof? Can you leap tall steeples in a single bound? Do you suffer fewer diseases, milder leg cramps, less hair loss, sneeze to higher quality pollen, drown more beautifully?

I don't need your god to be good, to be happy or to be optimistic. And the only thing less appealing that living forever is shacking up with Honey Boo-Boo's mom.

So I guess the big question is this. Why is the idea of a god so important to you and so irrelevant to me?

And too, why would I want to be a pet for all of eternity.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
For example, a forum moderator insisted in green font that I answer a question about what a bug
under the flooring should believe about the people walking overhead if they don't kill him.

I'm going to assume this is critical from now on and will bring up the bug under the floorboard
I think you need to not take stuff like this so literally.

Quote from: SkyWriting
God is like the person walking above and we are like bugs.   For bugs to gain forgiveness from the
"big shoes" we need to dialoge with the being first.  Once we are on speaking terms with the "big"
we can ask for forgivness for eating the floorboards.  But until we get on speaking terms, there is
no forgiveness because there is no dialog.  We may get stepped on, we may live another day.
Actually, why should bugs seek forgiveness in the first place?  It seems to me that if they were smart (which, thankfully, bugs are not), they would seek to kill the thing that was killing them, rather than begging forgiveness and leaving themselves at its mercy.  Indeed, this is how humans tend to operate - when we run into something that's killing or harming us, we try to stop it through any means necessary.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »

of what scripture says.

What a beautifully underhanded way of attempting to make your belief system immune from evidence.

Btw, you're wrong. THE BIBLE says that Jesus said (blah blah blah), and not only do you believe it but you assumed it from the outset. Why would you do that?

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »

Except, the problem with your analogy of God being "the big shoes" here is that you can't demonstrate that you actually have dialogue with this big Ronald McDonald in the sky. Claiming you have dialogue with a supernatural being doesn't mean you actually do. You could easily be practicing self-deception and confirmation bias to suit your presuppositions (as is so common in religious belief). In fact, your description sounds nearly identical with that of an 8 year old who claims to have an invisible friend named Fred - and when anyone tries to question the 8 year old as to why he thinks Fred exists he either 1) has no answers, 2) gets defensive and uses irrational arguments, or 3) gets angry and refuses to provide demonstrable evidence (or all three).

In other words, this is a false analogy and doesn't properly represent your belief scenario.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:16:33 PM by median »

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:40 AM »
SW

So in other words, god uses a whistle and only dogs can hear it, but us non-dogs, if we close our eyes and believe real hard and click our heels together three times, then we can hear it too. Right? Why didn't your god, back when I was 8 and 9 and 10 and going to Sunday school, etc. whistle for me and let me know he was there, even in just some tiny little way. Enough of a way to cause me to doubt when I started thinking that maybe he doesn't exist? If he is real and if he has superpowers he would have known way back in 1961 that I was starting to look at the world differently and that I was headed towards non-believing and all he had to do was one little tweet on his god whistle to make me reconsider. Probably couldn't be bothered.
Of course you're going to answer that you don't know why god does the things he does, or in this case, doesn't do, because, you know, he had his street cred to worry about. Operating in mysterious ways and all that crap. Other than warm fuzzy feelings and the illusion that you get to live forever in heaven because you've been a good boy, what do you get out of being a believer? What are the real-world benefits for you. Are you earthquake/tornado/hurricane proof? Can you leap tall steeples in a single bound? Do you suffer fewer diseases, milder leg cramps, less hair loss, sneeze to higher quality pollen, drown more beautifully?  I don't need your god to be good, to be happy or to be optimistic. And the only thing less appealing that living forever is shacking up with Honey Boo-Boo's mom. So I guess the big question is this. Why is the idea of a god so important to you and so irrelevant to me? And too, why would I want to be a pet for all of eternity.

It's always good to have a relationship with your parents.  Even when you don't appreciate
the guidance they give or the help they can provide.  Keeping the lines of communication
open will always help.  God is like that too. 

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2013, 04:09:35 AM »

of what scripture says.

What a beautifully underhanded way of attempting to make your belief system immune from evidence.
Btw, you're wrong. THE BIBLE says that Jesus said (blah blah blah), and not only do you believe it but you assumed it from the outset. Why would you do that?

Thanks for your interest.  I kept open the possibility that the Christians I knew were not insane for 20 years.
Some of then were a little off balance but eventually I came to respect a handful of Christians a lot.  Thats'
a few out of 100's.  But those few were really the kind of people I wanted to be like.  After taking up my own
study of the beliefs, I got the idea that there may be something to this "relationship" they had.   Then
I found there was.

Why is my life not like your life?   Because this is not heaven and God is not here.  God cannot physically heal
amputees.  At this distance, he can only heal the Spirit of those interested in healing.
The world is independent.

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2013, 04:13:47 AM »

Except, the problem with your analogy of God being "the big shoes" here is that you can't demonstrate that you actually have dialogue with this big Ronald McDonald in the sky. Claiming you have dialogue with a supernatural being doesn't mean you actually do. You could easily be practicing self-deception and confirmation bias to suit your presuppositions (as is so common in religious belief). In fact, your description sounds nearly identical with that of an 8 year old who claims to have an invisible friend named Fred - and when anyone tries to question the 8 year old as to why he thinks Fred exists he either 1) has no answers, 2) gets defensive and uses irrational arguments, or 3) gets angry and refuses to provide demonstrable evidence (or all three).

In other words, this is a false analogy and doesn't properly represent your belief scenario.

Your moderator insisted it was critical that I use the analogy.  He's god around here.  So I need to worship the analogy.
Your moderator is the big shoe and I'm the bug.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:15:46 AM by SkyWriting »

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2013, 04:28:07 AM »

As a result, it points to a Creation event where all matter came into being.
And science has added additional news that it was a one time event, not to be repeated.

Citation please.

The gravity cycling theory required the expansion of space to slow.
It was found to be accelerating.
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/12/nobel-prize-in-physics-2011/

This continues until heat death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »

Definition of TORMENT

: the infliction of torture (as by rack or wheel)   -or eternal fire-
: extreme pain or anguish of body or mind : agony
: a source of vexation or pain

Now that we have an accurate def. of torment we can get back to defining Love. 

Not accurate if you exclude my point, torment is intended to be internal in this case.

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-89
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2013, 06:57:58 AM »

I have been warned by the forum staff not to preach.
So the only examples I can give are illustrations
or paraphrases of scripture. 

of what scripture says.

Jesus's act of love has been mooted by his so called followers that insist on using the old testament to condone their hate.  If Moses hadn't gotten things so wrong there would not have been a need for Christ's death.  It was Moses's laws that hung Jesus on the cross!!!

I'm not trying to convince you God doesn't exist, I believe God does.  I just don't believe the biblical authors correctly define God.  I also don't believe Christ's followers portray the Love of Jesus accurately and the result is fewer people subscribing to Christianity becoming atheist or spiritual but not religious.

Are you afraid of hell?  There should be no need to fear a Loving God.  God must love better than me for God created me, IMO.  If I was a mystery I would not punish my creation for not believing in me.  I would only punish those that hurt others and there is a long line of Christians on that list.  I wouldn't burn them for eternity though.  I'd send them back to live the life of the people they hated and condemned in my name like homosexuals.

By the way those 3 letters will keep you out of trouble, it stands for; In My Opinion.  This site requires proof of truth claims.  I learned my lesson the hard way, but it is one that is appreciated.  There is a difference in what you believe and what you can prove about your belief.

I say these things to you out of Love.  I would give my life to abolish religion.  That is how strongly I am against what hatetians/Christians have done to this world.

I am a lesbian going to heaven with my atheist friends, IMO.  Have a blessed day Skywriting.
Thomas Paine

Online junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-89
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
I'm sorry you feel insulted but how else can I tell you that you are making contradictions in your words.  You said you don't approve of evangelism but yet you're here making claims about God. 

I am here because the URL of the forum asks questions about God.
I have a relationship with God, so I have a few answers on some
questions. 

Often, i don't respond to questions where I don't have an answer.

Sky I'm sorry you feel offended by the mods.  I have had my own differences with them.  Best way to handle it is cooperate and follow forum rules.

If I can ever be of any assistance to you PM me please.  I'd be more than happy to help you out.

If you want to fit in you have to quit ignoring questions and provide proof of truth claims.  If you don't have an answer just say so.  Don't just answer they like direct answers.  Where is this bug challenge?  I haven't seen it.  Okay found it.  Anfauglir is a hard one.  Watch out for John's magic socks.  He likes to use examples like this to prove God's non existence.  I for one don't see any similarities to his examples to our relationship with God.  God, IMO, is not us and we are not bugs.  When he fails to prove to you that God does not exist he will get nasty.

Will you please consider my advice and be careful what you assign to God.  I can not express how important this is to belief.

So far you have not answered anything but created more confusion and encouraged non belief.   You have also assigned more negative attributes to God than God had when you started sharing your beliefs. 

If you won't take my advice listen to your Savior.  Your words are the double edged sword that Jesus warned us about.

May the Love of God open your heart and your mind.

Love,
Junebug

PS,  Check out my first thread, believing in God is not a bad thing.  I think it will offer you some insight on how to fit in, the do's and don'ts.  It's under general religious, page 2.
Thomas Paine

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »

Thanks for your interest.  I kept open the possibility that the Christians I knew were not insane for 20 years.
Some of then were a little off balance but eventually I came to respect a handful of Christians a lot.  Thats'
a few out of 100's.  But those few were really the kind of people I wanted to be like.  After taking up my own
study of the beliefs, I got the idea that there may be something to this "relationship" they had.   Then
I found there was.

Why is my life not like your life?   Because this is not heaven and God is not here.  God cannot physically heal
amputees.  At this distance, he can only heal the Spirit of those interested in healing.
The world is independent.

Saying it is so doesn't make it so. Please demonstrate how you know these claims are true. So far, all I see is your big ASSUMPTION regarding your personal interpretation of the bible, and that is not a reliable pathway to separating fact from fiction.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 02:41:15 PM by median »

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #257 on: June 23, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »

Your moderator insisted it was critical that I use the analogy.  He's god around here.  So I need to worship the analogy.

Now you are just equivocating on the term "God" to avoid being refuted. The moderator likely asked you to use the analogy in order to expose the fallacies in your reasoning process. Sometimes it is helpful to get it out so you (and we) can view your own error. In this case, you have attempted to use a false analogy in an effort to support one of your claims regarding (presumably) how god operates and how he/she/it interacts with us. Since this analogy fails, are you willing to admit it's failure and abandon it? That would be a demonstration of intellectual honesty.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
SW

So in other words, god uses a whistle and only dogs can hear it, but us non-dogs, if we close our eyes and believe real hard and click our heels together three times, then we can hear it too. Right? Why didn't your god, back when I was 8 and 9 and 10 and going to Sunday school, etc. whistle for me and let me know he was there, even in just some tiny little way. Enough of a way to cause me to doubt when I started thinking that maybe he doesn't exist? If he is real and if he has superpowers he would have known way back in 1961 that I was starting to look at the world differently and that I was headed towards non-believing and all he had to do was one little tweet on his god whistle to make me reconsider. Probably couldn't be bothered.
Of course you're going to answer that you don't know why god does the things he does, or in this case, doesn't do, because, you know, he had his street cred to worry about. Operating in mysterious ways and all that crap. Other than warm fuzzy feelings and the illusion that you get to live forever in heaven because you've been a good boy, what do you get out of being a believer? What are the real-world benefits for you. Are you earthquake/tornado/hurricane proof? Can you leap tall steeples in a single bound? Do you suffer fewer diseases, milder leg cramps, less hair loss, sneeze to higher quality pollen, drown more beautifully?  I don't need your god to be good, to be happy or to be optimistic. And the only thing less appealing that living forever is shacking up with Honey Boo-Boo's mom. So I guess the big question is this. Why is the idea of a god so important to you and so irrelevant to me? And too, why would I want to be a pet for all of eternity.

It's always good to have a relationship with your parents.  Even when you don't appreciate
the guidance they give or the help they can provide.  Keeping the lines of communication
open will always help.  God is like that too.

If that is your idea of a response, I suggest you find another hobby.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #259 on: June 23, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
No, the moderator was trying to keep you from dodging the point.  That does not make him a god.  Or the other moderators.  Or the admins.

They do have authority - you could say they're the bosses around here - but that is not even remotely close to the same thing as them being gods, so your inane attempt to 'worship' the analogy just fell flat.

By the way, I know a lot of Christians.  Some of them are pretty decent folk.  But that doesn't mean I'm interested in believing fantasies are true simply because they believe it.

I can respect them without trying to be them.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
The gravity cycling theory required the expansion of space to slow.
It was found to be accelerating.
This continues until heat death.
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily bet on that if I were you.  For one thing, our knowledge is still rather incomplete with regards to the end of the universe.  To presume that the discovery in 2011 is the last word on the subject is...careless, to say the least.

And in any case, we're talking about something that's not going to happen for trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years.  It's so far in the future that it has no real relevance to us except as a matter for contemplation.