Author Topic: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1  (Read 11715 times)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
The Trinity then is like the Hindu pantheon where the gods have different avatars or personalities. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all individuals but are also separate avatars of the one true big god.

Like Krishna is his own god with his own legends and powers, but is also an avatar of Vishnu the Sustainer (who, incidentally is one of the Hindu Trinity or "big three" gods: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva).

African polytheism has some of the same stuff going on. Hmmm. Could it be that Christianity was trying to make a polytheistic ethnic religion into a monotheistic universal one with a few committee meetings? Seems that way, don't it just?

All religions have their basis in Truth and reality.  God's chosen people were selected to
clean up the rumors and track the birth of Jesus who provided the link to the Father.
When you have seen Jesus, you have seen the Father.

my bolding

All religions are based in truth, huh?  I assume you mean Haitian Vodun and the human sacrifices of the ancient Aztec and Maya are based in truth, right? As well as the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Moonies and the Mormons.

Now, are you going to stand by that statement or are you going to weasel your way out by saying that some practices and beliefs-- say, Scientology, Rastafarianism and Wicca-- are "not really" religions but anything you understand and approve of are?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
All religions are based in truth, huh?  I assume you mean Haitian Vodun and the human sacrifices of the ancient Aztec and Maya are based in truth, right? As well as the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Moonies and the Mormons.

Yes, all based on Truths about God.  I didn't say they were all accurate.
People make mistakes and are usually too proud to change their minds.

I've studied with JW's in bible study.  Their version of the Bible is 99.9% accurate.
I recall about 7 words being translated different. But their focus is on those
7 words.  If you ignore their focus on the differences, its the same as mainstream
Christianity.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2013, 04:33:20 PM »

I've studied with JW's in bible study.  Their version of the Bible is 99.9% accurate.
7 words.  If you ignore their focus on the differences, its the same as mainstream
Christianity.

Uhhh. Okeydokey.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »

Christianity.

Uhhh. Okeydokey.

Sure they argue about the shape of the cross and if anyone actually bowed before Jesus or didn't.   Then they rant about BLOOD and a bunch of other odd ideas.  Then the three headed monster complaint. One body with three heads.  They even have that right.  There is no "trinity".  Its just a teaching tool. 

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »

How on earth do you have an inaccurate truth? Admit it, you're making this up as you go along.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »

Christianity.

Uhhh. Okeydokey.

Sure they argue about the shape of the cross and if anyone actually bowed before Jesus or didn't.   Then they rant about BLOOD and a bunch of other odd ideas.  Then the three headed monster complaint. One body with three heads.  They even have that right.  There is no "trinity".  Its just a teaching tool.

I agree that the JW's are closer to living by what the bible actually says than most modern Christian denominations. So are the Amish. But that means very few people really follow the bible. It's a crazy book with a lot of wacky ideas, so I don't blame people for ignoring most of it. I wish people would ignore more of it. 

But what about all the other religions, the ancient pagen ones, the recent non-christian ones, the non-biblical ones? C'mon, what about the Moonies, Jim Jones, Bagwan Rajneesh, Hari Krishna, Rastas, Scientology? Are they also based in truth?

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »
How on earth do you have an inaccurate truth? Admit it, you're making this up as you go along.

In English, when you say some thing is "Based On" something, that MEANS that
parts of the original have been used to create something different.

No, I'm not making up English as I go. 

Synonyms:   be at mercy of, be based on, be conditioned, be connected with, be determined by, be in control of, be in the power of, be subject to, be subordinate to, bottom, found, ground, hang, hang in suspense, hang on, hinge on, pend, rest, rest on, rest with, revolve around, revolve on, stand on, stay, trust to, turn on

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »
But what about all the other religions, the ancient pagen ones, the recent non-christian ones, the non-biblical ones? C'mon, what about the Moonies, Jim Jones, Bagwan Rajneesh, Hari Krishna, Rastas, Scientology? Are they also based in truth?

I'd study them one at a time for the answers you seek.

Indeed, Jim Jones was a "Christian" cult. A Christian cult is were you take mainstream
ideas and alter some of them and form a group who all follows the alternate version.

You could say Protestants were a cult branch of Catholicism.  Most would not agree.

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »

Indeed, Jim Jones was a "Christian" cult. A Christian cult is were you take mainstream
ideas and alter some of them and form a group who all follows the alternate version.

You could say Protestants were a cult branch of Catholicism.  Most would not agree.

Then by your own definition Christianity, itself, is a cult. It borrowed, and stole, ideas from it's pagan competitors in the surrounding areas (dying/rising gods, three wise men, Dec 25th, born of a virgin, son of god, light of the world, etc) as evidenced by both Egyptian/Mesopotamian, and Roman religions prior to, and during, it.

They all can't be right, but they CAN all be wrong. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:03:21 AM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
How much do you have to study of a religion to know if it is "based in truth" or not?[1] Is it how much the religion agrees with what you already believe? If the religions disagree with one another, how could they all be "based in truth"? And if a religion leads people to do bad things, like give their children poison koolaid, or burn people to death for not believing the same stuff, or blow up buildings full of people, does it really matter if it is "based in truth" or not?
 1. You can give Scientology about a minute. Most of the others, about ten minutes. You will quickly discover that none of the religions invented so far are "based in truth" if by that you mean "reflect reality as we know it".

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2013, 11:14:24 AM »
Too bad. If you read some more perhaps?
Jesus did talk to the Father and he did speak back to His Son.
The Holy Spirit is indeed silent as when the wind stops.
I can't change the nature of the spirit.
So...they are three distinct entities?

Sorry - I'm just really unclear on what you are saying.  I thought you were arguing that there is one 'god' and that descriptors like 'Jesus' and 'Holy Spirit' are meant as descriptors of different aspects of one entity.  The above seems to run counter to that perspective.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
Any tips on how to go about studying?  When I come upon contradictory claims from different religions, what do I do?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »
Any tips on how to go about studying?  When I come upon contradictory claims from different religions, what do I do?

Besides that, even if you are really starting with "the truth" the stuff about that truth available for "study" was written by flawed humans who make mistakes. How can we tell what is actually from a god versus what was made up by people, or is a mistake in re-copying or translation. It is pretty easy to let an error slip in when you are talking about normal everyday stuff. How much more likely when you are dealing with stories that describe supernatural events, are meant metaphorically or are parables to begin with?

I witnessed this first hand while traveling to different villages with some US missionaries. They preached about Jesus, and someone from the local area was translating. The translator was making mistakes, but I was the only other person there who knew both languages. So, the message the local people got was not exactly what the missionaries were preaching. That was just one incident. Multiply that event by thousands of times over hundreds of years. The result is what we are supposed to "study".

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:35 AM »

Besides that, even if you are really starting with "the truth" the stuff about that truth available for "study" was written by flawed humans who make mistakes. How can we tell what is actually from a god versus what was made up by people, or is a mistake in re-copying or translation. It is pretty easy to let an error slip in when you are talking about normal everyday stuff. How much more likely when you are dealing with stories that describe supernatural events, are meant metaphorically or are parables to begin with?

I witnessed this first hand while traveling to different villages with some US missionaries. They preached about Jesus, and someone from the local area was translating. The translator was making mistakes, but I was the only other person there who knew both languages. So, the message the local people got was not exactly what the missionaries were preaching. That was just one incident. Multiply that event by thousands of times over hundreds of years. The result is what we are supposed to "study".

Excellent point.
According to the scripture, the scripture is not required.
Not even the retelling by man is required.

http://biblehub.com/romans/1-20.htm

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
Excellent point.

Do you just believe everything you read? This selective cherry picking of which claimed 'holy' books to accept, and which to reject, is quite arbitrary and hypocritical (not to mention question begging). Just because you were raised one way, and were taught to just believe these passages written by Paul (i.e. - being gullible), doesn't make them true. The world as we know it doesn't tell you how it got here until you investigate. The trees and rabbits don't say "Made by Jesus" or "Hecho in Heaven" on them. I don't care what some old dusty book says (and fact is neither do you - when it comes to all the other ancient religious texts that disagree with the one you assumed was true). So just because some old dude named Paul wrote a letter making claims about a God, doesn't mean it's true. Why would you just believe this nonsense wholesale without investigating it's claims?

Starting with your conclusion is backwards and unreliable for discovering what is true.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

Excellent point.

How does that even make sense? You are getting your information from a book that says, "pay no attention to this book". Would you trust recipes from a cookbook that said, "do not follow these recipes"?

Are you saying you do not need a bible to be a Christian? Isn't the bible the main source of information on Christianity? If you were all alone on a deserted island, having never seen a bible, how would you become a Christian? :?

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »

Excellent point.

How does that even make sense? You are getting your information from a book that says, "pay no attention to this book". Would you trust recipes from a cookbook that said, "do not follow these recipes"?  Are you saying you do not need a bible to be a Christian? Isn't the bible the main source of information on Christianity? If you were all alone on a deserted island, having never seen a bible, how would you become a Christian? :?

The book is only about the condition of man in that we are not beings from this material world.  If we were we would be happy as pigs in slop.  Every watch "Hoarders" ?    That is how people want to live when their spiritual life is messed up. They want to gather as much STUFF as they can get.   Some rich people are "Hoarders" as well.

According to the scriptures, you don't need some book to explain that this ball of dirt is not really living as we are craving to live. 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:40:35 PM by SkyWriting »

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »
Excellent point.

Do you just believe everything you read? This selective cherry picking of which claimed 'holy' books to accept, and which to reject, is quite arbitrary and hypocritical (not to mention question begging). Just because you were raised one way, and were taught to just believe these passages written by Paul (i.e. - being gullible), doesn't make them true. The world as we know it doesn't tell you how it got here until you investigate. The trees and rabbits don't say "Made by Jesus" or "Hecho in Heaven" on them. I don't care what some old dusty book says (and fact is neither do you - when it comes to all the other ancient religious texts that disagree with the one you assumed was true). So just because some old dude named Paul wrote a letter making claims about a God, doesn't mean it's true. Why would you just believe this nonsense wholesale without investigating it's claims? Starting with your conclusion is backwards and unreliable for discovering what is true.

What is "true" has always been obvious.  Creation is the work of something huge and intelligent.
I discovered that Christianity agreed with what I already observed during my first 30 years.
The truth came first, I became a Christian because it agrees with my observations. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:45:29 PM by SkyWriting »

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +829/-6
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »
^^^What appears to be obvious is not necessarily true. Or else there would only be one religion, and everyone in the world would accept it. Nobody would have to preach or proselytize or be missioned to. It would not even be a religion; it would just be reality.

In other words, science.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »

What is "true" has always been obvious.  Creation is the work of something huge and intelligent.
I discovered that Christianity agreed with what I already observed during my first 30 years.
The truth came first, I became a Christian because it agrees with my observations.

I "believed" for over 30 years and as a closted atheist... I still say a generic prayer (a thankful prayer never directed to any deity) at mealtimes with my family family and attend church whenever I cannot get out of it.  So by your definition... I am a xian.  Only th  truth isn't so obvious... although anyone operating outside the god delusion would ask me what I was up to...  it is fairly obvious I am a non participant xian
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »

What is "true" has always been obvious.

Obvious to whom?

Creation is the work of something huge and intelligent.

Do you know how many gods have been credited with creating the earth?

Am I right in thinking that your critical thinking skills are not the best? I ask as you seem to have accepted a fairytale, even though there are lots of other fairytales that are very similar.

It makes you think, doesn't it?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »

What is "true" has always been obvious.

Obvious to whom?

Creation is the work of something huge and intelligent.
Do you know how many gods have been credited with creating the earth?
Am I right in thinking that your critical thinking skills are not the best? I ask as you seem to have accepted a fairytale, even though there are lots of other fairytales that are very similar.
It makes you think, doesn't it?

This particular story fit the facts the best.  I considered others over my first 30 years.
Did you really think your assumptions through first?

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »

I "believed" for over 30 years and as a closted atheist... I still say a generic prayer (a thankful prayer never directed to any deity) at mealtimes with my family family and attend church whenever I cannot get out of it.  So by your definition... I am a xian.  Only th  truth isn't so obvious... although anyone operating outside the god delusion would ask me what I was up to...  it is fairly obvious I am a non participant xian

Reality is obvious.  Nothing in our reality appears out of nothing
without a directing force.  Newtons law.   So a super-natural
force is needed to create reality.   It's obvious.   Many people do
avoid the obvious. 

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
^^^What appears to be obvious is not necessarily true. Or else there would only be one religion, and everyone in the world would accept it. Nobody would have to preach or proselytize or be missioned to. It would not even be a religion; it would just be reality.In other words, science.

If you study "Science Theory" you learn that reality is a theory.  And there is more than than one theory about reality.

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »

Huh? Your "observations"? What observations in the natural world say "made by Jesus" or "Yahweh's property" on the trees or on DNA? Muslims can make your same argument. Will you accept it if they do? Merely observing the world doesn't tell you anything about how it got here. For that you need to investigate, instead of just jumping to a conclusion that you just so happened to have been raised with (and influenced by early on when you were at an impressionable stage).

You've missed a key step in fact finding - it's called TESTING. You've jumped from step one (observation) to the conclusion (likely b/c that's the conclusion you assumed anyways). So again, please demonstrate how you think you know that this alleged "Yahweh" deity is 1) actually real, 2) "huge and intelligent", and 3) created everything we observe. Merely making an assertion doesn't make your hypothesis the correct one - especially since you seem to have a bias toward confirmation given your presupposition.

If a "huge and intelligent" creator was obvious we wouldn't be having this discussion (namely b/c it would be obvious to all). But assuming your interpretation of the bible, as the "word of God" (and namely Romans 1, etc), only displays (even more) your bias toward confirmation and your lack of care as to whether or not your beliefs are actually true.

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »

Reality is obvious.  Nothing in our reality appears out of nothing
without a directing force.  Newtons law.   So a super-natural
force is needed to create reality.   It's obvious.   Many people do
avoid the obvious.

Yes, many people (including you) avoid the obvious fact that no deities needed to "create" anything and that no deities are checking in on us.

Btw, who said "something appeared out of nothing"? Certainly not us, and certainly not science. This sounds like the ever so common misunderstanding of cosmology/physics by those religionists who don't really care whether their beliefs are true. Besides, even if I agreed that "a supernatural force" needed to create the things we observe that wouldn't make it a God, and it certainly wouldn't make it intelligent. The term "supernatural" is merely a term synonymous with that which we do not understand yet. So it is one big argument from ignorance fallacy.

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »

The book is only about the condition of man in that we are not beings from this material world.  If we were we would be happy as pigs in slop.  Every watch "Hoarders" ?    That is how people want to live when their spiritual life is messed up. They want to gather as much STUFF as they can get.   Some rich people are "Hoarders" as well.

According to the scriptures, you don't need some book to explain that this ball of dirt is not really living as we are craving to live.

This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Hoarders? Really? So, your explanation of people who hoard things is some "spiritual" mumbo jumbo? Trying to explain a mystery by another mystery does nothing. You do know that many hoarders have received psychotherapy for their condition (not religion) and have recovered, don't you? This is the same for many alcoholics, drug addicts, people who suffer from depression, and many others. No religion or "spiritual" talk required, and they recovered from their ailments. But of course, you wouldn't accept those cases as such, would you, b/c you have a precommitment toward your interpretation of the bible to defend, right? I know b/c I used to sound just like you 10 years ago. So instead of actually looking for a real explanation for things, you just insert nonsense terms like "spiritual" or "God" or "Satan" to fill the gap where you don't understand or haven't done your homework or investigation. What hubris.

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »

If you study "Science Theory" you learn that reality is a theory.  And there is more than than one theory about reality.

Science theory? So you are making up your own terms now? How much science have you actually studied? Just because there is more than one philosophical position on the nature of reality doesn't make your assertion true - nor does it mean we should follow your absolutist claims which derive from your being uncomfortable with the unknown. When you don't know something, you should admit it (this is what well practiced science does), not jump to a conclusion like "God did it" to fill a gap in your knowledge.

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

Science theory? So you are making up your own terms now? How much science have you actually studied? Just because there is more than one philosophical position on the nature of reality doesn't make your assertion true - nor does it mean we should follow your absolutist claims which derive from your being uncomfortable with the unknown. When you don't know something, you should admit it (this is what well practiced science does), not jump to a conclusion like "God did it" to fill a gap in your knowledge.

Sorry.  I meant theory of science.

God doesn't fit what I don't know. 
As I explained, it fits what I do know.