Author Topic: Need to vent - Walking Dead  (Read 439 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Need to vent - Walking Dead
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
In case you're the one person on the planet not yet up to S2E11 ... hit the back button now.

Now that that's taken care of, let the venting commence.
They killed Dale!!! They bloody well went and killed Dale! The one guy I actually cared about (well, ok, maybe Daryl too) and they kill him off. Couldn't they have T-Dog get ripped open? I mean, the man has had like 5 whole sentences in the entirety of Season 2. Yes, yes, I get that he's the token black guy, but still, use him of make him Walker-food.
Venting aside, this was the first time, I went "WHAT THE FUCK?!" at my TV since Tara said "Your shirt?!" Guess they're doing SOMETHING right then.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: Need to vent - Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
Dale was the old guy right? I don't miss him at all. He was too preachy.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »

Well, that was kind of his role in the series -- he was the group's moral compass.  Things do change a bit in season three, although obviously I won't give you any spoilers.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »
I've never seen the show, though lots of people rave about it. Is it really worth it? If anyone wants to share why I should watch it, I'm all ears.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »

Well, that was kind of his role in the series -- he was the group's moral compass.  Things do change a bit in season three, although obviously I won't give you any spoilers.
  I'm up to date on the show as of last Sunday. The only complaint I have is that each episode is kind of on the short side.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »
Walking Dead you say? I've never watched it.  I always assumed it was a show about Jesus.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »
^^ see my other post in chatter Bereft :)

@Traveler ... I wouldn't say that it's the greatest show ever (that's Buffy!) but it is quite enjoyable. The basic premise is interresting. How many zombie movies are there? Tons, right? How many SERIES about zombies are there ...
Whole different dynamic and they take this in interresting directions.
Main downers are ...
- T-Dog, the token black guy. I yet have to see any indication that he's a sub-par actor, so why underuse him?
- The horrendously slow pace of much of season 2
- The basic premise doesn't work. With this sort of zombies, you can't get a worldwide apocalypse. Just doesn't work. Still, suspend disbelief and enjoy.

Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »
I've never seen the show, though lots of people rave about it. Is it really worth it? If anyone wants to share why I should watch it, I'm all ears.  ;D

It's a mature and intelligent drama that just happens to be set in a zombie apocalypse setting.  The interactions between the characters in the group as they try to survive in a post-apocalyptic world are intricate and well-done.  That said, the show is not for everyone.  There's a fair amount of violence, and some of it is pretty graphic (think Romero's series of "Dead" films, especially the unrated ones).
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »
Great show! I'm hooked.  :blank:

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
   Lots of great shows out now. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, etc.
              -Emo Philips

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
I read the graphic novel.  Hated it.  Relentlessly pessimistic.  Relentlessly hopeless.  A completely pointless read unless you are into masochism.  I find the show totally boring.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.