Author Topic: NY Assemblyman dresses in "blackface" for Purim celebration  (Read 796 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
NY Assemblyman dresses in "blackface" for Purim celebration
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
Apparently, an elected official thought it would be fun to celebrate Purim wearing "blackface."  Costumes, apparently, are part of Purim celebrations, but a few of us think that this is a little more than inappropriate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2013/02/dov-hikind-apology-for-purim-blackface-getup-doesnt-go-far-enough-nyc-pols-say 

I wasn't that familiar with Purim, so I looked it up.  I've got to say, Wikipedia offers a rather long and tedious narrative synopsis of the story from the Book of Ester, starting with a 6-month party in which the king's wife refused to show off her beauty for the royal guests, and was cast aside, and the king married Ester, who didn't tell anyone that she was Jewish, and there is a murder plot, and then a plot to kill Jews, and then the king orders that Jews can kill people who threaten them, and then lots of people die. 

Gotta love the OT stories.  And the holidays surrounding them.  And the modern interpretations of celebrations of events in the OT. 

Seriously.  I know that the vast majority of elected officials ascribe to one religion or another, and enjoy celebrations associated with their religious traditions.  That's fine with me.  But what was this man thinking? 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: NY Assemblyman dresses in "blackface" for Purim celebration
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
He's a politician...thinking...yeah right.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +901/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
This guy is an inconsiderate, thoughtless boob. And not in a good way.  &)

Someday people will realize that dressing up as a "race" is stupid. Because there is no way to do it without promoting ignorant stereotypes. And people generally do it to groups that have less power, like native Americans.

To test this idea, how would a person dress up as a "rich white guy"? If you don't use silly stereotypes nobody knows that you are in costume.

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
A Romney costume.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +901/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
A Romney costume.
A rich white guy? So that's what he was dressed as? Who would have guessed?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.