Author Topic: Is There Rap in Heaven?  (Read 599 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Is There Rap in Heaven?
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
This is just a question to ask Christians. It occurred to me today when a pickup passed me walking and rap was emanating from it. I thought about Christians and what music they expect to hear in their heaven. Could it be classic rock, baroque, jazz, etc? Or do they think it will be just harp music. I like the harp music at the beginning of Lucia De Lammamoor (I think that is the way it is spelt) but I could not take it 24/7 let alone for eternity.

If Christians think they will listen to country, how would they do it without disturbing the others there? Earphones? But how would they worship and adore with their attention on George Jones. And would any country stars of the past want to sing along? It all reminds me of a joke:

The pious man went to the pearly gates and was greeted by St. Peter. He was just about to enter the gates when he said "St. Peter, could I just glimpse what Hell is like?" Of course St. Peter said no but the pious man kept on and was rewarded with a glimpse of Hell. St. Peter whisked a panel aside for a second and the pious man saw an enormous party going on, with bands playing and everyone really enjoying themselves. The pious man was startled and asked St. Peter how come? St. Peter said simply "Well, you can't expect us to hire a band for 4 people, can you?"
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Is There Rap in Heaven?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
If Christians think they will listen to country, how would they do it without disturbing the others there?
They would just hear the voices in their head.

(The joke wasn't bad either. : ) )
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
I think people will be too busy kissing Jesus ass 24/7 for music but in case there is some ...rap sounds as good as any.  Jesus can probably rap some pretty good lyrics about being put upon by the man.  And I would think He would have a lot of daddy issues to rap about also.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »
Kinda related to this topic...

back when I was a christian and making up my own heaven I used to joke about whoopin jesus' ass on the basketball court in heaven, but being afraid of the repercussions of said ass whoopin. Would he be a gracious loser or would he be pissed and send me to hell? Or would he be the "perfect" basketball player and unable to be beaten? I would picture myself crossing jesus out of his sandals on  a basketball court in the clouds, and him falling over and twisting an ankle which started to swell. It was probably a blasphemous thought at the time.

But to answer the question: I think I have conclusive evidence

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »
No music. Nothing but an eternally long session of telling God just how utterly amazing he is.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
Why would anyone want to tell someone how utterly adorable they are? Sounds sick to me.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
I don't imagine God would put any restriction on the style of music so much as the content of music.  As long as it's not about something sick and degrading it probably would be fine.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
Well, there go 85% of your options.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +864/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:26 PM »
I don't imagine God would put any restriction on the style of music so much as the content of music.  As long as it's not about something sick and degrading it probably would be fine.

How about Hindu devotional music? Not at all sick or degrading. Very spiritual, very polytheistic. And there are thousands of songs, so you'd never get bored!

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »
Well, there go 85% of your options.

That's what I'm saying.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »

How about Hindu devotional music? Not at all sick or degrading. Very spiritual, very polytheistic. And there are thousands of songs, so you'd never get bored!

Only God would know.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +864/-6
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
^^^Only god would know what?

Oh, stupid question. God knows everything.  &)

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »

Let me rephrase.  It would depend on which gods are real.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +864/-6
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »

Do you mean only music that is about real gods would be played in heaven? Neil Peart is the real god of drumming, so there will be a lot of Rush up there. Awesome!

And the man is 55 years old! Gives us baby boomers eternal hope for future coolness. If not everlasting life in heaven, at least a few Rush songs with long Neil Peart solos. This dreadlocked black commie mama could not ask for more--I am a Rush groupie-chick in an alternate universe. 8)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »

Do you mean only music that is about real gods would be played in heaven? Neil Peart is the real god of drumming, so there will be a lot of Rush up there. Awesome!

And the man is 55 years old! Gives us baby boomers eternal hope for future coolness. If not everlasting life in heaven, at least a few Rush songs with long Neil Peart solos. This dreadlocked black commie mama could not ask for more--I am a Rush groupie-chick in an alternate universe. 8)

I'm just saying I doubt any gods would allow praises to be sung about his enemies.  If my son came in my home and started singing praises about my enemies, I would not be happy.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
I think this is a beautiful performance.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-105
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
And I think this is just an awesome song.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:40 AM »
None of that stuff you all are posting is rap. Maybe a new thread, and we keep this one on topic? I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

WWJD, He'd prolly LOL like WTF