Author Topic: Personality test  (Read 1182 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Personality test
« on: February 23, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
A friend of mine sent me this link for a personality test: http://humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
Try it out and post your results. I got INFJ.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline shnozzola

Re: Personality test
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
I got INFJ also.  There are some questions where I wondered whether I had the correct objective answer for myself.   At work, we did this several years ago to give admin a sense of how to organize us.  I need to go back and check those results.

From the wiki link you provided One, I find this very true for myself :
INFJs have been mistaken for extroverts, as they tend to possess multiple personalities due to their complex inner life; however, they are true introverts
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:41 PM »
ISTJ
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +75/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
INTJ

Suggested career choices:

Natural Science
Natural Science Education    
Information Systems    
Computer Programming
Librarian

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
ISTP. Which I thinks means that all my flaws are simple ones.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
I guess I'm the first extrovert so far.

ENFJ

My problem with tests like this, is that for me, and I'm guessing for most of us, there are certain questions in which my answer is very clear, while there are others that I could honestly answer either way.  And then there are some questions that just sort of irritate me.

The mercy vs justice question?  Mercy is not a concept I really buy into, but I assume it is close to empathy, and I for me, justice is all about understanding the needs and dilemmas and problems of others.  In other words, mercy (as I understand it) and justice are intertwined, and are not competing concepts. 

Control over desires?  Ummmm.  Perhaps I am too judgmental, but I don't generally consider desires as something that needs to be controlled.   Most of my desires motivate me - to learn, to accomplish, to make a difference.  I mean, is the question really about resisting ice cream or sex?  That seems really trite. 

But it was fun.  Thanks for sharing.   

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
Quesi

That is one of the reasons they ask so many similar questions. Both because asking the same thing in different ways helps to figure out your general state of mind and too, it helps compensate for questions where people just flat out lie. I don't understand the process, but a psychologist friend explained that well designed questions (I don't know if this set is well designed or not) allow for the fact that people are not always truthful and also that people are not always sure of which answer is right. But by asking the right questions in the right ways, psychologists seem to think they can eke out the truth.

The friend who explained this stuff to me, a grad student in psychology, told me about taking  the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (this was in the 70's, I don't know if it is currently in use), and that the results from her test scared the crap out of her. Normally a person takes the test because they are being evaluated, I guess, but she had to take it because she was a student learning how to give the test. She said she lie about herself on some of the questions because her true feelings were embarrassing or something, yet the test results showed that she had those specific personality flaws anyway.

She said they would give the same test to convicted sex offenders and there would be questions that asked specifically "Do you ever want to rape a woman" or similar blatant questions, to which any sane person would just say "No". However, the results showed the opposite once all the questions were answered.

That's why I chose to stay sane. I didn't want anyone knowing that much about me.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
ENTJ, and they spelled 'extrovert' wrongly.

I'm with such luminaries as:

Richard M. Nixon - (I immediately destroyed the tapes)
Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, The Mask) (without whom the world would be a better place)
Penn Jillette (a genius and a hero)
Margaret Thatcher (Some good ideas but did not know when to stop.)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
ENTJ.

Won't agree that management is the career option for me, never liked management.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »
INTJ, took the test a while back.  Pretty accurate.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
I got preacher so I guess I'm a con man.  Send me your money. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
INTJ for me too.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
Been awhile since I took this one. ISFJ.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:38:37 AM »
I'm also ENFJ, like Quesi. I scored a perfect 100% on Extravert (sic), however. I'm a lot of things, but shy ain't one of 'em!
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 02:06:26 AM »
INTJ. Oddly, my career profile specified:  "BoF: Not suitable for suicide counseling"

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:16 AM »
INTJ

Interesing  :) 
Git mit uns

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »
ISTJ.  According to wiki ISTJs are highly religious.  Well everyone I guess it's time to come clean and let you know I'm not really an atheist.  I'm a Pastafarian.  I'm sorry that I've lied to all of you for so long. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »

I'm an ENTJ - The Executive

Assertive and outspoken - they are driven to lead. Excellent ability to understand difficult organizational problems and create solid solutions. Intelligent and well-informed, they usually excel at public speaking. They value knowledge and competence, and usually have little patience with inefficiency or disorganization.

http://www.personalitypage.com/high-level.html
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
This is a little interesting. :)

I am INTP.

Suggested careers:
Education (I enjoy teaching people when I can)
Natural Science
Computer Programming (I do it as a hobby mind you)
Engineering
Law
Librarian.

This link is also interesting,

I think it's a fairly accurate summation. It loses a point for picking on Mathematics, but regains that by talking about playing with language, I was never really a good mathematician, but to be fair, I still enjoyed doing maths. Does a better job than say...Tarot cards.

There I was, thinking I was unique somehow and some survey categorises me. :P

Also, I am kind of flattered as being thought of like Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Carl Gustav Jung and Sherlock Holmes. ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
I've taken several versions of this over the years. Some of the questions on this one seemed a bit different, and I wondered whether I would finally break out of the answer I've always gotten, but I'm still an INFP. Though the balance between the sensory and intuitive seems to have become rather borderline over the years, and even the other areas, other than introversion, have become slightly less clear cut. I am, however, still an almost complete introvert.

I seem to be in good company with various writers and such--among them, Shakespeare, JK Rowling, AA Milne, Neil Diamond, Helen Keller, James Taylor & Mister Rogers.

I've also always found it interesting that my husband and I are such polar opposites. He is an ESTJ. But that seems to have worked out for the past 27 years.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +75/-1
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »
Also, I am kind of flattered as being thought of like Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Carl Gustav Jung and Sherlock Holmes. ;)

Sherlock Holmes, huh? Damned thing matched me up with Prof. Moriarty.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 04:59:01 AM »
ISTJ.....I got preacher so I guess I'm a con man.  Send me your money. ;)

ISTJ.  According to wiki ISTJs are highly religious.  Well everyone I guess it's time to come clean and let you know I'm not really an atheist.  I'm a Pastafarian.  I'm sorry that I've lied to all of you for so long.

I'm another ISTJ...and partciularly impressed to be in the company of Puddleglum the Marshwiggle!  Though somewhat unhappy to see that Lance Armstrong is one as well.

The problem I have with these questionnaires is that so often I find the answer is "it depends.....".  I accept PP's point about asking questions in several ways, but I often find that a subtle shift in the wording makes me think "okay, so that for question 1 and this for question 5, then".   Maybe that means that I'm correctly identified as being on the cusp for those questions.

Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

Sherlock Holmes, huh? Damned thing matched me up with Prof. Moriarty.

I'll be damned Willie, you are my arch-nemesis. Scotland Yard shan't put up with this nonsense. It is only a matter of time before I figure out your little games.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
I know I've taken this test before in the past, but by age 60 I already know my personality:  schizoid.  I've really only known for a few years, but finding out was a real eye-opener for me and it explained so much about my life all the way from a little boy.

I prefer my own company to that of others and I prefer to do things on my own.  I prefer to stay home as opposed to doing things, but I do enjoy a walk late at night or in the very early morning when there is nobody else around.  I'm alone but not lonely.

I have no friends in the sense of what most people would describe as a "friend".  I am neither cold and aloof, nor unfriendly, but I will only rarely say "hi" first, but when I respond I will sound like I mean it.  I won't ask "how are you" because I'm really not that interested (most people are not really interested in how you are anyways).  I live in the same city as my younger brother and sister, but I haven't seen either one in a few years.  I'm not mad at them, it's just that I prefer to keep to myself and not get sucked into their lives.

I am a secret or covert schizoid, though.  I am neither shy nor introverted and will choose to talk to people, even complete strangers--commenting on something, making a situational joke.  The thing is that it is my choice--some of these people I will never see again, and I won't have to have any kind of relationship with any of them.  I am not antisocial, I am non-social.  I do well with one person or a few people, more than that  prefer to be elsewhere.  Choosing where to sit in a room--its in the back corner where everyone else is in front of me.

Strangely enough (to me, at least) I am both well-liked and respected at work.  I think people where I work, fellow employees and residents (I work at a homeless shelter) take my quietness and reserve for being deep somehow (perhaps it is).  But I'm winding up my job (it's just a job, not a career-I've never had a career) and looking forward to retiring in a few years and avoiding people as much as possible.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
I share the same traits as Napoleon, Peter the Great, Tokugowa Iasu and George Carlin.  Not all at once, mind you.  They take turns.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:27 AM »
ENFP
Extrovert(33%)  intuitive(25%)  Feeling(12%)  Perceiving(22)%

This is reaaalllly vague. Apparently I'm a vague person.

I like doing things, and enjoy stuff so I sort of object a tiny bit to that thing.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
I know I've taken this test before in the past, but by age 60 I already know my personality:  schizoid.  I've really only known for a few years, but finding out was a real eye-opener for me and it explained so much about my life all the way from a little boy.

I prefer my own company to that of others and I prefer to do things on my own.  I prefer to stay home as opposed to doing things, but I do enjoy a walk late at night or in the very early morning when there is nobody else around.  I'm alone but not lonely.

I have no friends in the sense of what most people would describe as a "friend".  I am neither cold and aloof, nor unfriendly, but I will only rarely say "hi" first, but when I respond I will sound like I mean it.  I won't ask "how are you" because I'm really not that interested (most people are not really interested in how you are anyways).  I live in the same city as my younger brother and sister, but I haven't seen either one in a few years.  I'm not mad at them, it's just that I prefer to keep to myself and not get sucked into their lives.

I am a secret or covert schizoid, though.  I am neither shy nor introverted and will choose to talk to people, even complete strangers--commenting on something, making a situational joke.  The thing is that it is my choice--some of these people I will never see again, and I won't have to have any kind of relationship with any of them.  I am not antisocial, I am non-social.  I do well with one person or a few people, more than that  prefer to be elsewhere.  Choosing where to sit in a room--its in the back corner where everyone else is in front of me.

Strangely enough (to me, at least) I am both well-liked and respected at work.  I think people where I work, fellow employees and residents (I work at a homeless shelter) take my quietness and reserve for being deep somehow (perhaps it is).  But I'm winding up my job (it's just a job, not a career-I've never had a career) and looking forward to retiring in a few years and avoiding people as much as possible.

I've been looking at some definitions of this, because your post reminded me of myself in some aspects, except I wouldn't say I'm covert. The main difference is that even though I am very uncomfortable around people in general, I will sometimes talk way too much and share way too much information with people I barely know as  long as the interaction is one on one. I do seem to have a lack of attachment toward people in general, though, and aside from maybe my kids, there are not a lot of people out there who I feel as though I would miss if they dropped off the face of the earth. I hate that, though...I feel as though I don't quite know how to love in the same way that other people do. My most intense feelings for people have been those relationships which existed solely inside my own head.

It's kind of weird that I always test out as INFP because those are the idividuals who have a lot of empathy and caring for others. I guess there are really no apt choices for those questions, though. Because I actually DO have empathy, but it's often more sort of clinical than organic. I can pretty easily put myself into another person's shoes, but somehow I rarely really care.

That makes me sound like a terrible person, doesn't it? :(

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
25 years ago or so, a friend of mine, a psychologist, invited me to a commercial demonstration of personality testing software (all DOS 3 and dot matrix printers.) He was there as a consultant. The guy who was selling it was, not to put too fine a point on it, a snake-oil salesman meeting and greeting employers who wanted an answer to the uncertainty of hiring people.

The program was fixed up as a multiple choice and 100 questions. As I recall, the personality types were in 4 categories, each divided into “inner” and “outer”.

My wife and I did the test and received the printout, which was about 6 foot long. The noticeable thing was that there were some identical paragraphs in both. This gave the clue.

The program scored in 4 areas and then differentiated each area – then there were about 6 headings each of which had about 4 paragraphs, so what was required was 4 x 2 x 6 x 4 paragraphs, and the report wrote itself by simply pulling out paragraphs and sticking them together.

How difficult is that to do?

However, I was impressed by what it said about me, to which my psychologist friend remarked, “Why? You gave it all the answers.”

So, here’s my test:

A: Are you honest? Yes No
B: Do you drink excessively? Yes No
C: Do you avoid beggars? Yes No

Score 5 for each “Yes”, and 0 for each No

15 You are an alcoholic Scrooge but trustworthy with money.
10 You have a tendency towards alcoholism, you may use your position for personal gain and you may not be too charitable
5 Your imagination is likely to overcome your morals, you probably are responsible in your drinking and can be generous to the less fortunate.
0 You’re a thief who stays sober and your hero is Robin Hood.

How did you do?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »
Not dissimilar with the way a "psychic" will use Cold Reading to construct a profile of a client - though their preferred method is to produce statements that will apply to 90% of the population through saying both one thing AND the opposite.  Like "you are a thrifty person, but sometimes you tend to splurge".  Bet pretty much everyone will agree with that!

Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?