Author Topic: Hanford Nuclear Site leaking  (Read 229 times)

Offline shnozzola

Hanford Nuclear Site leaking
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
YAKIMA, Wash. — Six underground tanks that hold a brew of radioactive and toxic waste at the nation's most contaminated nuclear site are leaking, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced Friday.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130223/US.Hanford.Leak/

The weapons production reactors were decommissioned at the end of the Cold War, but the decades of manufacturing left behind 53 million US gallons (200,000 m3) of high-level radioactive waste,[5] an additional 25 million cubic feet (710,000 m3) of solid radioactive waste, 200 square miles (520 km2) of contaminated groundwater beneath the site[6] and occasional discoveries of undocumented contaminations that slow the pace and raise the cost of cleanup.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:14:40 PM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Hanford Nuclear Site leaking
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.  Any sighting of 3 eyed fish yet?  Republicans will see this as a job creation opportunity.

Man, do we need to move to alternatate clean energy sources/development as fast as possible.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Hanford Nuclear Site leaking
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:01:26 AM »
Damn.  :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.