Author Topic: Hanford Nuclear Site leaking  (Read 351 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +141/-2
Hanford Nuclear Site leaking
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
YAKIMA, Wash. — Six underground tanks that hold a brew of radioactive and toxic waste at the nation's most contaminated nuclear site are leaking, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced Friday.

The weapons production reactors were decommissioned at the end of the Cold War, but the decades of manufacturing left behind 53 million US gallons (200,000 m3) of high-level radioactive waste,[5] an additional 25 million cubic feet (710,000 m3) of solid radioactive waste, 200 square miles (520 km2) of contaminated groundwater beneath the site[6] and occasional discoveries of undocumented contaminations that slow the pace and raise the cost of cleanup.[7]

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:14:40 PM by shnozzola »
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Online Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-8
Re: Hanford Nuclear Site leaking
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.  Any sighting of 3 eyed fish yet?  Republicans will see this as a job creation opportunity.

Man, do we need to move to alternatate clean energy sources/development as fast as possible.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Hanford Nuclear Site leaking
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:01:26 AM »
Damn.  :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.