Author Topic: Pills  (Read 542 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
Pills
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
Dr. Oz just recommended everyone take some sort of keto-something or other daily for something.

I helped my mother organize her pills the other day. The little 7 day box.  Every morning:
   1/2 blood pressure pill
   1 glouconoid pill (diabetes)
   1 fish oil pill
   1 tylenol
   1/2  water pill
    1 vitamin
   1 calcium pill
   1 pill for constipation (temporarily) :-[

My father has an old plastic dishpan filled with pill containers he carries around the house, taking whatever  pills at all hours. :o

I take a daily vitamin (if I remember) and 2 aspirin when I go out for a run.

I guess some people take garlic pills and alfalfa pills.  What percentage of kids are on ritalin? When do kids stop taking it?

What pills are the pharmaceutical companies selling others here?
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Re: Pills
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
None to me. I figure pharmaceutical companies make so much money off of my brother and his wife they don't need any of mine. When I visit my brothers house, he and his wife stand side by side in the kitchen in the morning and start taking their medication together (its so sweet). But when I'm not there, they probably high-five each other when they're done.

A woman I sometimes work for also has a morning pill regimen that she is sometimes in the middle of when I arrive. The spooky thing about her is that she can't just swallow a pill. She has to put one in her mouth and then throw her head back violently so as to toss it down her throat or something. Spooky to look at. I just tried repeating the motion myself to see what it feels like and now my neck hurts. I should point out that she is 85. I'm not.

Guess its time for a pill  ;D

Nah, I'll suffer. I'm lucky enough to not need medication right now. A friend recently asked what medications I'm on and when I said none he gave me a look that made me feel like I am a freak of something. Guess at my age (61 or whatever) my lack of meds is abnormal.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
I've got one of those little day/night boxes also.  I take atorvastin and niaspan for high cholesterol.  Its a family thing...thanks dad. A vitamin, a green tea extrtact pill, a baby asprin, and a fish oil pill.  I guess it is better living thru chemistry.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
I'd bet that if most pills many elderly take were replaced with placebos, they'd never know the difference.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
I'd bet that if most pills many elderly take were replaced with placebos, they'd never know the difference.

Especially if they cost the same!

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
I take some Mg, supposed to help witha few things

If women take Ca, take it as Ca plus Mg. Calcium alone depletes Mg.

For about  6 dollars you can get a paperback that describes all supplements and claimed benefits.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:42:27 PM by Tero »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
Scoff all you like.

After chemotherapy my bone density was so low I was osteopenic, bordering on osteoporotic. After two years of medication and vitamins I am in the normal range in most areas of my body, and minor osteopenia in others. I'm off the meds now, but in a family full of old, shrunken people, I'm happy to take the extra vitamins.

A dear friend of mine was deteriorating from multiple sclerosis. They came out with a new drug (I forget the name). Now that she takes it regularly, despite having a brain that looks like swiss cheese, she is doing much better and has set aside her cane.

I survived breast cancer. I'll put up with chemo, rads, surgery, and the hormone-blocking drugs any day, rather than die of it like my aunt did.

I could go on and on. But the anti-drug folks forget that some of us need them to live a healthier life.

That said, Dr. Oz is a quack. I would no more follow his advice without doing tons of my own research than I'd jump off the Eiffel Tower.  :o
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
That said, Dr. Oz is a quack.

word.  If I met him, I'd kick him in the junk.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
My overall health philosophy is that if I eat enough of the foods that are full of preservatives, I'll live a long, long time.

Actually I'm lazier than crap when it comes to food and nutrition, so that's the easiest route to take. I'm still alive, so what I do works. And again, no pills. If I had them I'd forget to take them. So they're not worth my time.

This attitude will kill me someday, but in the meantime I get to be lazy. That makes it a win/win situation for me.

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
i'm pretty sure i've paid for my doctors new office building with how often i'm there. at least every 3 months at this point, if not more for other things that come up, been doing this for well over 10 years now. and over the years i'm sure i've paid for the pharmacys new roof and carpeting they've had done in that time. but if you're looking for a list that keeps me functioning day to day, here ya go:

trazadone
gabapentin
sertralin
hydrocodone
albuterol
qvar
cyclobenzaprine
fish oil
super b complex
D
mulit vitamin

so by the time i'm done taking those, i'm too full for breakfast ;)
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
PT Barnum was dead on.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips