Author Topic: Sodomy,Gay Marriage Rights and Chick-Fil-A  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
Sodomy,Gay Marriage Rights and Chick-Fil-A
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:10:55 AM »
So I just parted ways with an old "friend" due to our differences in thinking about just about everything,but mainly because
of her support of Chick-fil-A and my disgust with X-tians who stand on line there acting righteous in defending the bibles passages against Homosexual's Anal sex and Gay marriage.But thier judgement of Gays isn't a "sin"?

I told her she and her cult were straight up Bigots and I'd rather defend Gays right to marry and anal sex than a delusional x-tian.She "unfriended me" What....can't handle the truth or being put on the defensive? WHAA!

I find the crux of the anti-Gay marriage issue is an attempt to support the Bibles stance on Sodomy.

I was wondering what you all thought about Gay marriage and anal sex as the reason for X-tians being so up in arms about it and saying things like "i don't hate Gays.GOD hates Gays" and getting away with it by using Bible passages to support thier insanity.I told her that I am for HUMAN RIGHTS and if that mean's going against a bible I don't believe in...all the better!

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/gay-marriage-is-out-sodomy-based-marriage-is-in/politics/2012/04/10/37806

“Gay marriage” is so 2011. Remember last week when we reported that some conservatives believe America’s third party will focus only on defeating same-sex marriage across the nation? Well, it appears they have their own Super PAC now, and it’s called the No Special Rights PAC. The No Special Rights PAC asks that you use “the term ‘Sodomy Based Marriage’ and avoid the deceptive terms ‘same sex or gay marriage’.” No Special Rights is based in Maine and is trying to defeat a voter ballot initiative that would deliver same-sex marriage — I mean “sodomy based” marriage — back to same-sex — I mean “sodomy based” — couples.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/No_Special_Rights_PAC.jpg

I am more in line with this thinking.Who the F*ck has the right to tell anyone WHERE they can stick a d*ck
and threaten them with "hell" and keep them from marrying because they enjoy ANAL SEX?

I mean really! What is so GOD DAMNED unnatural about anal sex?
If "god" didn't want us to USE it for pleasure,he shouldn't have "given it to us! lol

http://www.sodomy.org/mission/

And if they don't want to have anal sex....that's fine,but to sit in judgement and "speak for god" is no less a SIN
than anal sex is in their "good book".

If a man also lie with mankind,

as he lieth with a woman,

he has committed abomination

(Leviticus 20:13)

"ALSO" being the operative word here.

Which of the following sentences defines the statement above:

A: It is abomination for the man that lies with a woman

(a heterosexual) to 'also' lie with a man

OR

B: It is abomination to be homosexual

The biblical law forbids heterosexuals - not homosexuals - from mating with the same gender.

Then I cam across this....
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/06/21/tx-gop-platform-jail-mexicans-criminalize-sodomy-gay-marriage-felony/

Nevertheless, the state’s Republican party has voted on a platform by which their candidates will stand, and it includes the reinstatement of laws banning sodomy: otherwise known as oral and anal sex.

To the contrary, the Texas GOP platform goes even further in attacking homosexuals, adding:

We believe that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country founders, and shared by the majority of Texans.

Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should  be redefined to include homosexual . We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin), custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

TRADITIONAL VALUES? MY SODOMIZED ASS!

It's simply homophobia at it's worst and they should be ass-raped for even suggesting that it's thier place in mine or any other person's BEDROOM to make laws prohibiting ANY SEX ACT!

Argghhh....does this shit piss anyone else off,or am I losing it?

siging off.........Sodomite in fear of losing my anal sex rights....
"Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent." Marie

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Sodomy,Gay Marriage Rights and Chick-Fil-A
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:50:30 AM »
Maybe I should have put this in the Sexuality Section.

Can a mod do that for me?
"Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent." Marie

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »

OR

The biblical law forbids heterosexuals - not homosexuals - from mating with the same gender.

That's actually a very interresting way to read those verses. Of course, every interpretation of the bible is as good as the next one. Even if one happens to believe the bible is 'special' in some way ... the bible is a horrible mess morals wise (or even story wise) and it doesn't come with a manual.
And I can even get into a mindset where your interpretation makes sense.
I know there was a tradition in ancient Greece of matching elite warriors up into couples ... in every sense of the word. The idea being that they'd fight harder for their partner that way.

So, maybe the ancient Hebrew had something similar to that going on and this verse is simply saying, "if you're a warrior, focus damnit!!! No girly sex before a fight!!!" ... which would make sense, seeing as Jahweh was originally a tribal god of war.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »
I myself am supportive of human rights too. I have been making some blogs about the subject.

As for the "sodomy" it's not something only gays and lesbians may do, but even straights do too. I don't understand why they think what you do with your genitalia is any of their business. my life has never been affected by anyone, gay or straight.

What irritates me is the bible thumpers proclaiming that they're against homosexuality because *GASP* the bible says so. I find it funny how they can have the galls to use the Old Testament as a reason while ignoring all the laws included like eating shellfish and/or pork, wearing two diferent fabrics, women ought to be stoned if not found to be a virgin on her wedding night, you can have slaves, etc, etc.

I remember one person, who isn't a friend thankfully, say's this

I will eat at chic-Fil-A, it's my right!

So all i can think was, "So your stupid, stinking, chicken Sandwich is far more important than human rights?" I don't know if she gets it, but it was never about the right to eat a chicken Sandwich, it's about donating money to Anti-gay groups who want to incarcerate LGBT, Exodus International supported the Uganda's "Kill the gays law," Ex-gay therapies, and more. They aren't interested in facts, they're just icky about the idea two men loving each other.

a guy who i unfriended, said this.

Do you buy gas? Then you support the arab countries who murders gays. I support Chic-Fil-A

First, i don't own a car. Second, that philosophy is warped. By his standard, gays and lesbians deserves to be treated less than human.

I find it sad that many people who supported Chic-Fil-A thought this was just the free speech issue and that Gays are being bullies. Ok, here's how this sound;

Starbucks: We support human rights and equality!
Oreos: Me too!
Home Depot: We do too!
Anti-gay protestors: Oh them gays! How dare they! Let us boycott them!
LGBT activists: So you're against the idea of human rights. Wow.

Chic-Fil-A: Hey guys, here's $5 millions dollars so that you can dehumanize gays and Lesbians.
LGBT activists: Hey! That is not acceptable! We will boycott you! We will not allow you to destroy what years of fighting for our rights to be wiped away!
Anti-gay protestors: Oh my god, these evil gay people are trampling on my free speech! Don't worry Chic-Fil-A, We'll be giving you all our money to dehumanize people!
LGBT Activists: WTF?!

Dear Christians, your free speech is not being trampled, you're not above criticism, and you're a complete hypocrite! We didn't care if you wish to boycott anything that supports equality and human rights, it just makes you laughable. But how dare we even stand up to the bigoted ways? Oh no, we must hide away and allow people to push all the work for equality several years back. NOT!
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
I didn't desipher this personally,I found in on a website and the way it was deciphered
has alot to do with who decipered it.But it made some sense to realize that since the bible is
open to interpretation,someone's bias,fear and perspective has everything to do with how they
interpret the bible.

It's SUBJECTIVE and metaphorical at best,yet they think it's "truth" to the word?

How ludicrious!

http://gaychristiansurvivors.tripod.com/id4.html

OR

As for the "sodomy" it's not something only gays and lesbians may do, but even straights do too. I don't understand why they think what you do with your genitalia is any of their business. my life has never been affected by anyone, gay or straight.

Exactly.But from what I gather, X-tians feel it's within thier right to "protect" our country from "gods" rath,by protecting it from "sin" as described in the bible.

Chick-fil-A President Says 'God's Judgment' Coming Because of Same-Sex Marriage

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Cathy said. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that … We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy said.

That seems to be how they rationalize getting in the way of Gay marriage.

If the BIBLE SAYS that Sodomy is a sin,then marriage simply can NOT be between a man and a man.

Oddly enough,most of Leviticus seems to be directed at MEN who couldn't seem to control themselves so a section
was written in the bible to try and control them with fear,guilt and shame.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+18&version=NIV
Leviticus 18

New International Version (NIV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations

18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.

7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.

8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.

9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.

11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.

12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.

13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.

15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.

16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.

17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.

18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God. ’”

So...Beastiality,Incest and Homosexuality are all 'abominations" in the same category as if being homosexual is even a choice!

They aren't interested in facts, they're just icky about the idea two men loving each other.

But what about WOMEN who want to marry women? Would that be OK?

As long as there isn't any anal play it's all good?

WTH?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:27:14 AM by Truth Junkie »

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • We didn't land on Mt Sinai, Mt Sinai landed on us!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »
It's Christians relying on their staple argument, "It's in the Bible!".  Regarding Chic-fil-a, if the situation was simply president Dan Cathy saying he disagrees with homosexual marriage there wouldn't be a problem.  I personally disagree with that sentiment, but would be arrogant and foolish to think he couldn't express his opinion.  That would be the problem regarding the first amendment.

However, Chic-fil-a has donated millions to gay hate groups such as the Family Research Council and has been sued many times by former employees regarding discrimination.  This isn't new for them either, it has just gain attention lately.  Here is Forbes in 2007 regarding Chic-fil-a: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html

Regarding abominations, I'm sure most people know that homosexuality isn't the only abomination listed in the bible.  A common example of another abomination being shellfish.  The translation 'abomination' from the Hebrew 'sheqets' is 'unclean, detestable especially regarding idols'. A case of something being lost in translation.  I'm vacationing in Virginia right now, and have met a fair amount of people with Confederate flags flying or on their cars; I mentioned to one of them that one of the abominations from the Bible is being a rebel.  They didn't like that.

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
Dear Christians, your free speech is not being trampled, you're not above criticism, and you're a complete hypocrite! We didn't care if you wish to boycott anything that supports equality and human rights, it just makes you laughable. But how dare we even stand up to the bigoted ways? Oh no, we must hide away and allow people to push all the work for equality several years back. NOT!

It's seems it's fine if they bash Gay rights anyway they choose to,but call THEM out on thier hypocracy and they claim theire
BELIEF and FAITH gives them that right.

Screw that and them!

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »
What truly irks me is how "they" think they have a right to claim "god" even exists without proof beyond the bible.
That in thier warped minds,they think 'god" actually sanctioned it.
That they are so vain as to speak as though they are "gods" advocates.
That they use thier bible for "evil" and not good.
That they impose and project your own issues with homosexuality by using the bible as "proof" that it's wrong,sinful
hell-worthy.

it's not just his opinion that bothers me,it's that he is using a public forum like his company to generate more hate(and of course Money$$$) and bigotry and homophobics to join hands and salute him and the bible!

I'm vacationing in Virginia right now, and have met a fair amount of people with Confederate flags flying or on their cars; I mentioned to one of them that one of the abominations from the Bible is being a rebel.  They didn't like that.

How DARE you remind them that they are sinners too! lol
Believe me....having moved from L.A.,then Boston to the South,I am out numbered by the ignorant,closed-minded fools around here and when I dare stand up for Gay rights,I am told to "go back to where I came from".

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:48:56 AM by Truth Junkie »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
I couldn't read past the 2nd paragraph. Try placing structure to your thoughts. I mean, off the internet I speak in a guttural dialect but online, I try to be as coherent as possible. Should try it.

To what I read: most of the people I know, including family, who are against homosexuality, is based on the act itself. The rest plays little part in their objection. I think that's what most people are against: the act itself. Why many states, in the past, and today, have enacted sodomy laws targetting homosexuals however not mentioning them outright.

And, it's usually man on man rather than woman on woman that people object to. From those I've spoken to, at least.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

To what I read: most of the people I know, including family, who are against homosexuality, is based on the act itself. The rest plays little part in their objection. I think that's what most people are against: the act itself. Why many states, in the past, and today, have enacted sodomy laws targetting homosexuals however not mentioning them outright.
And, it's usually man on man rather than woman on woman that people object to. From those I've spoken to, at least.

I was just reading some information that stated sodomy is not mentioned in the bible in relation to heterosexual marriages,only when homosexual men engage does it become a sin.How convienient.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »
I wonder how many of them fail to adhere strictly to the admonition not to "approach a woman for sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period"?

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
I doubt they adhere to much of anything as they always seem to pick and choose what religious rules apply to them and when they F-Up....they claim they are forgiven anyways.Just another.............'how convienient' situation.

But to be honest,I'd much rather have anal sex,than sex during my period....lol

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
I doubt they adhere to much of anything as they always seem to pick and choose what religious rules apply to them and when they F-Up....they claim they are forgiven anyways.Just another.............'how convienient' situation.

But to be honest,I'd much rather have anal sex,than sex during my period....lol

Whichever...I think the phrase "approach a woman for sexual relations" could cover all sorts of ground. As long as the guy ends up happy.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +63/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
Here in Australia there are no Chick-Fil-A chains. I've been reading stuff on and off about the contraversy for a few weeks now, and only just recently heard it spoken: I was reading it as 'Chick-Filla', like 'Chick-Filler', not 'Chick-Fill-Ay'.

LOL    :o
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you fucking turn up and say well done." - Eddie Izzard

You keep using that word. I do not think it means

Offline Truth Junkie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
Come to think of it,'Chick Fill Ay' seems to be thier anti-sodomy mantra.

If "they" are so against sodomy because it's an abonimation,unnatural and doesn't serve a procreative purpose,why is it "ok" for married couples to have anal sex? I swear,just another case of bending the bible to suit themselves.

Oh...and I don't want to sound ignorant,as I have NEVER been indocrinated into any church,but did "god" write the bible?
I thought men wrote the bible and simply claimed "god" gave them the rules.

"God would have included it in with the others He mentioned"

http://christiannymphos.org/2008/01/02/anal-sex-what-does-the-bible-say-2/

The bible doesn’t, however, spell it out for anal sex. There are no specific verses that say that anal sex between a married couple is a sin. There are verses that deal with homosexuality, but not a married couple. I believe that if it were a sin, God would have included it in with the others He mentioned. But since the bible is silent on this issue, there is a debate among Christians regarding this.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
I didn't desipher this personally,I found in on a website and the way it was deciphered
has alot to do with who decipered it.But it made some sense to realize that since the bible is
open to interpretation,someone's bias,fear and perspective has everything to do with how they
interpret the bible.

It's SUBJECTIVE and metaphorical at best,yet they think it's "truth" to the word?

How ludicrious!

http://gaychristiansurvivors.tripod.com/id4.html
The ludicrous thing here is that gays would wish to be Christian or, if they were, they would not simply forget about sex.

That is true but (i) This is written in 16th century English and the position of "also" is not as it is today. (ii)The context is:
Le:20:11: And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Le:20:12: And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.
Le:20:13: If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Given the context, the word "also" in Le:20:13 refers to Le:20:13 being included in a list of forbidden practices that have just been described. The gay site is wrong to the point of obtuseness.

No.

I don't understand why they think what you do with your genitalia is any of their business.
I am assuming that you know the answer to this one and your point is rhetorical: They make it their business - they don't like the idea

But from what I gather, X-tians feel it's within thier right to "protect" our country from "gods" wrath,by protecting it from "sin" as described in the bible.
No - I doubt any of them outside of Westboro believe that. Most of them just do not like the idea of homosexual sex even taking place.

Chick-fil-A President Says 'God's Judgment' Coming Because of Same-Sex Marriage
If I had $1 for every time I heard that Gods judgement was coming, I still would not buy a Chick-fil-A burger

If the BIBLE SAYS that Sodomy is a sin, then marriage simply can NOT be between a man and a man.
?
Oddly enough,most of Leviticus seems to be directed at MEN who couldn't seem to control themselves so a section was written in the bible to try and control them with fear,guilt and shame.
The entire Bible is written for men. You must realise that a woman was a man's property  just as much as his hoe, his horse or his house. Why on earth would there be some Godly pronouncement to any of those? Why would anyone want to address a woman when that was a man's job? - Address the man - he will tell the woman.

So...Beastiality,Incest and Homosexuality are all 'abominations" in the same category as if being homosexual is even a choice!
Yes, that is right.

They aren't interested in facts,
They are interested in what they see as facts.
they're just icky about the idea two men loving each other.
Of course, what did you expect?

But what about WOMEN who want to marry women? Would that be OK?

As long as there isn't any anal play it's all good?
No, it would NOT be OK:
Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men , leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

I do wish that people would not try to make it seem as if the Bible, in any way, excuses, allows, permits, ignores, is ambivalent upon homosexuality, or otherwise condones homosexuality - it does not. There is absolutely no way around this.

However, it also prevents a dwarf, a hunchback and anyone with a "flat nose" from being a priest but that seems to be ignored. Christians are past masters at believing what they want to believe and saying "God said so.", why do they not just shrug at homosexuals?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:57:53 AM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

I do wish that people would not try to make it seem as if the Bible, in any way, excuses, allows, permits, ignores, is ambivalent upon homosexuality, or otherwise condones homosexuality - it does not. There is absolutely no way around this.

However, it also prevents a dwarf, a hunchback and anyone with a "flat nose" from being a priest but that seems to be ignored. Christians are past masters at believing what they want to believe and saying "God said so.", why do they not just shrug at homosexuals?

You know Greybeard, I’ve said this before, and I’ll probably say it again.  I just don’t know any Christians who hate or fear gay or lesbian people.  The Christians I know, including the pastor who conducts gay and lesbian marriage ceremonies, the 83 year old Catholic lady across the hall, the gay dad who takes his 1st-grade bound son to church every Sunday, the progressive political activists who work with refugees, they all believe in social equality. 

Good people who want the world to be a better place, and who pick the pretty Bible passages to support their beliefs, and ignore the huge volume of stuff in the Bible that is silly and ridiculous and in violation of their well-developed moral codes.  They are perfectly comfortable dismissing the “man shall not lie with a man” stuff because they are perfectly comfortable dismissing the “stone your disobedient kid” stuff and the divorce stuff and the shellfish stuff and they know all of the rules about how many sheckles they need to give their neighbor if their goat eats the neighbors crops, and all of the stuff about stealing ornaments on destroyed idols, and all of the rules about conducting a proper sacrifice, have NOTHING to do with them.   

NOBODY buys into everything the Bible says.  Even the fundamentalist lunatics who swear that they take the Bible literally, and who cite the scriptures as their reason for hate and discrimination.  They pick and chose too. 

People see what they see.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
You know Greybeard, I’ve said this before, and I’ll probably say it again.  I just don’t know any Christians who hate or fear gay or lesbian people.
You may have led a sheltered life.
Good people who want the world to be a better place, and who pick the pretty Bible passages to support their beliefs, and ignore the huge volume of stuff in the Bible that is silly and ridiculous and in violation of their well-developed moral codes.
Yes, they judge by their own moral codes, just like the rest of us.
NOBODY buys into everything the Bible says.  Even the fundamentalist lunatics who swear that they take the Bible literally, and who cite the scriptures as their reason for hate and discrimination.  They pick and chose too.
Ah, the cafeteria Christian...

I have never met one religious person who believes the same as another person of the same religion/sect.
I have never met an atheist who who believes the same as another atheist

As usual, if you remove God from the equation, there is no perceivable difference -
X+God = Y and X = Y.
Therefore God = 0
There is thus no point to God.

People see what they see.
QFT
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
...You know Greybeard, I’ve said this before, and I’ll probably say it again.  I just don’t know any Christians who hate or fear gay or lesbian people...

Most of the people in my day-to-day life are very accepting of everyone. Liberals to the core.

Unfortunately, in my extended family there are a lot of "conservative" religious types. Many of them hate and/or fear and/or judge gays. They are against gay rights, but they're also radically against women's reproduction rights, and many other rights that I fight for. We're talking Wichita anti-abortion types. Depressing.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline LVMark

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
Have any of you ever eaten at Chick-Fil-A?  Their food is quite tasty and, at least for me, it would be a sad thing to see the company go out of business.  After these comments were made, a friend of mine, who had never eaten at Chick-Fil-A, because they didn't have any stores in his area (Las Vegas), looked for Chick-Fil-A during a trip to California, ate there and agreed that they had good food.  Of course, everybody's tastes are different, so your enjoyment of the place may vary.

That said, running a corporation in today's environment is a pretty complicated thing.  You have to comply with a huge number of laws and regulations, including those regarding employment and discrimination.  You also have to be aware of your "corporate image," and be able to (a) not start a public relations crisis and (b) be able to control one, if you accidently start it.  Reasonable people can have a reasonable debate regarding our current employment and discrimination laws, as to whether they are too strict in some areas and not strict enough in other areas.  Same is true for any other set of laws and regulations.

On one hand, we should have a freedom of association.  Should we be required to associate (including hiring people and paying them to do work for us), we we don't feel comfortable around them?  If you have ever been to a Chick-Fil-A, you may have noticed that the employees there tend to be nicer dressed and nicer groomed that employees at some other fast food resturants.  I'm talking about things like strange piercings and tattoos.  Overall, I feel a higher level of professionalism when I visit a Chick-Fil-A than when I visit a McDonalds.  That is a positive for me, as a customer.  Also, due to that professionalism, I am able to communicate my order to the employee quicker and the employee gets the order more accurately.  That also is a positive for me as a customer.  At Chick-Fil-A, I often request an "extra side of pickles."  At McDonalds, it is a Quarter Pounder with NO ONIONS.  The percentage of the time that it comes our right at Chick-Fil-A is higher than at McDonalds.  That is not to say that any one group of people may or may not be as capable as another group of people with regard to their ability to do the job.  That should be the primary criteria, although "presentation" is a part of professionalism. 

However, Chick-Fil-A might want to stick to just making good chicken.  A smartly managed company stays out of these issues, thus not offending anyone and thus doing what a corporation was invented to do -- provide a product or service and make a profit doing it.  To offer an opinion about anal sex is outside the scope of what the company was created to do -- serve good chicken. 

The president of this company has a right, as we all do, to speak our opinion, if we so desire.  The first amendment is not an absolute right (you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre when there isn't a fire).  Expressing opinion may have a backlash.  The company president needs to take this into account before opening his mouth.  I think he failed to do that, but if he wants to put his company on the line to express his opinion, then he has that right.

Those that disagree with him, however, will tend to no longer go to his stores.  You open your mouth, you take the risk.