Author Topic: Old article from the US Soil Conservation Service  (Read 142 times)

Offline shnozzola

Old article from the US Soil Conservation Service
« on: February 16, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
   Interesting read here, given that it was written by a religious US government soil scientist in the late 30s, nevertheless a student of the importance of historical agriculture and how mankind has treated the soil.
A bit dry at times, but still interesting IMO.  One section speaks about the cedars of Lebanon, and suggests that man ruined these lands that are now looked at as areas with no possible agriculture.  Or another section that looks at the Dutch farmers, and how they were put on a starting probation with the possibility of being replaced if they mistreated the land Holland had reclaimed from the sea.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb1043789.pdf

Thou shalt inherit the Holy Earth as a faithful steward, conserving its resources and productivity from generation to generation. Thou shalt safeguard thy fields from soil erosion, thy living waters from drying up, thy forests from desolation, and protect thy hills from overgrazing by thy herds, that thy descendants may have abundance forever. If any shall fail in this stewardship of the land thy fruitful fields shall become sterile stony ground and wasting gullies, and thy descendants shall decrease and live in poverty or perish from off the face of the earth.
The irony is with freewill.  Atheism realizes we don't have it, while the fundamentals of theism demand it but don't want it.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +644/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
Re: Old article from the US Soil Conservation Service
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »
Which differs a bit from the christian minister type back in the early 70's who said we didn't have to take care of earth. He said that if we used it up, god would just give us another one.

Responsible people who use religion as part of their reason for being good people don't bother me a bit. The fellow in the OP seemed to be doing that. It is the idiots that use religion as an excuse to shoot at me that are my concern.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!