Author Topic: Dashboard Cameras  (Read 453 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Dashboard Cameras
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:17 PM »
Today, I learned that many of the videos of the meteor explosion in Russia were caught by dashboard cameras that many Russians have installed on their cars to combat the problems of auto accident/injury scammers. This lead me to a series of videos in which people have compiled many clips from these dashboard cameras. These videos are fascinating and mesmerizing. You really have to watch them 3-5x over just to catch all the details of what goes horribly wrong:

Not all of the video clips above were from Russian vehicles, but most of them were.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Dashboard Cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
I read something about that yesterday too. But some guys on Reddit who live in Russia said that the main reason people have the dashboard cams is that they get a discount on their insurance if they have one. Everything else is a bonus. Especially all the YouTube videos. I'll see if I can find the one where the truck driver gets thrown through the front window and lands on his feet so he can walk away from the accident.

Found it:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:16:43 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »

Not to mention that Russians appear to be among the least trained drivers, Russian vehicles among the least-equipped and Russian roads among the most dangerous. Add to those circumstances the frequency of intoxication.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +514/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:59:58 AM »
A Finnish friend said that he had to drive into Russia along cross-country highways the other day. He has been before so he was not at all surprised to see at least one wrecked vehicle by the side of the road every 5 miles. My son drove from Finland round to Poland - He said that he would never drive at night and always keep 50 yards minimum behind anything other vehicle - but, even that isn't going to save you.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
I read something about that yesterday too. But some guys on Reddit who live in Russia said that the main reason people have the dashboard cams is that they get a discount on their insurance if they have one. Everything else is a bonus.

Being that it is my profession, I am in shock and awe that in Russia (1) insurance is available (2) that it might even be within reach of the average person to pay and (3) that it pays anything worthwhile at all.

A Finnish friend said that he had to drive into Russia along cross-country highways the other day. He has been before so he was not at all surprised to see at least one wrecked vehicle by the side of the road every 5 miles. My son drove from Finland round to Poland - He said that he would never drive at night and always keep 50 yards minimum behind anything other vehicle - but, even that isn't going to save you.

If drivers in Russia get any training at all, it's from the Easy and Care-Free Academy of Driving. They seem to put little thought or care into the design and maintenance of their vehicles, as well. Only one of the videos I have seen so far includes an air bag. Nobody wears seat belts, preferring to become projectiles that are ejected from their vehicles at any moment.

But, the most notable thing, the one that cannot be easily undone with laws and regulations (assuming those would work anyway) is the obvious and unnatural tendency of Russian drivers to just veer into oncoming traffic in reaction to what is happening in front of them. How many times do you see a near rear-end accident turn instead into a head-on collision (offset or otherwise)? There is often clear space to the right where a vehicle could go, and on a few occasions they do, but in many other situations the drivers appear to think "Fuck it! I'm gonna have a head-on collision instead. I wanna see the look of fear in the face of the driver I am about to cream!" It's bizarre.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
You guys are overgeneralizing. They don't always speed. Here is a highway that goes almost all the way across Russia and I don't see any speeding going on in these pictures. At least on the part that isn't quite paved yet:

Here is an easy to read article on their infamous "Highway of Mud".

http://www.ssqq.com/archive/vinlin27c.htm

Note: This is not a highway under construction. It is their main cross-country highway. The easternmost 600 miles of it is like this in the summer. Methinks we're better at making interstate highways than they are.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
^ That is stupidity.

\/  This is insanity: